'83 motor block

MotoCam360

I bought these two '83 and drove/towed them to Seattle yesterday. The runner is a strong machine. The parts car has a seized up motor, and I have barely even cracked open the hood so I don't know the status yet.

I am wondering if the '83 motor block is the same as the late model wide bodies?

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/motocam360/Starion/TriptoSeattle.jpg

The '83 engine is basically the same except for the oil pump and pick up tube on most of them. They did make the change in late '83, so some have the new style.

The pistons are a bit heavier, and piston wrist pins considerably heavier '83 - '86. If rebuilding one of those years, you really should go with newer year pistons with light pins.

Things unique to '83 engine and controls are injectors, intake and throttle body, pressure switch and solenoid, igniter, maf, ecu, power steering pump and reservoir. Some AC brackets were aluminum, but that is very rare.

Cylinder heads are the lowest quality of any year, but are known to last the same if taken care of.

Some of the parts I mentioned are pretty much the same up to '86 and interchangeable, but not the igniter or ECU. Mafs will plug in and work too, but may require tuning by blocking off unmetered air, etc..

If you are serious about keeping and driving your other '83, you better keep this one for your own parts if at all possible. I wouldn't sell a tire stem cap off of it.

• 2 weeks later...