took the head off today - burned pistons?

cad

breakdown.... i think i somehow burned the #4 and #3 pistons ... i need to clean them up and see whats going on .... 2 of the headstuds had worked their way loose which was causing me to lift the head off the block at 14lbs of boost and pressurizing the cooling system above 8lbs

heres some pics

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/theresnothingicanchange/2011-11-15150248.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/theresnothingicanchange/2011-11-15150256.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/theresnothingicanchange/2011-11-15150304.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/theresnothingicanchange/2011-11-15150323.jpg

am i right or does someone else know whats going on here?

Detonation and/or overheating ( even cylinder temps can go sky high with detonation) can cuase the studs to loosen, head expands greatly then cools and shrinks making studs loose. 14lb with what turbo? factory boost gauge? Wideband gauge installed?

Dad

Detonation and/or overheating ( even cylinder temps can go sky high with detonation) can cuase the studs to loosen, head expands greatly then cools and shrinks making studs loose. 14lb with what turbo? factory boost gauge? Wideband gauge installed?

Dad

really close to stock ....

egr delete

and 2.5 inch straight pipe exhaust

sligtly better intercooler and no name bov

im presuming 12a, and no wideband

also, is it just me, or do those look like aftermarket pistons? i dont see any arrows or stamps

Dad

stock turbo with a manual boost controller

aftermarket boost gauge autolite

whats a wideband? is that the afr gauge? i dont have one of those yet

im presuming 12a, and no wideband

also, is it just me, or do those look like aftermarket pistons? i dont see any arrows or stamps

supposedly the stock ones had issues in this motor so the previous owner installed some aftermarket forged ones... he showed me reciepts from a machine shop showing that this block had been machined and had pistons crank and connecting rods were installed but could not furnish a receipt for the rotating assymbly itself

the legitamacy of that is beyond me

Edited by cad

stock turbo with a manual boost controller

aftermarket boost gauge autolite

whats a wideband? is that the afr gauge? i dont have one of those yet

definitely look into getting one, make sure its a wideband not a narrowband, you will have to get a bung welded into your exhaust about 3 ft down stream of the turbo, but it gives you an idea of if your way off on fuel

Air fuel ration gauge will use a seperate O2 sensor. This way you can monitor your air/fuel ratio. It will show if you are starting to go lean,,, eg start raising boost and see the number increase. that way you can decrease the boost if nesc. You might get a plugged fuel filter and start to starve it for fuel.. you would have no idea it was happening without the gauge. IMHO- a wide band gauge should be the first thing to install before raising boost over stock levels.

Dad

cleaning up the pistons i found a part number .... anyone know how to cross reference it?

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/theresnothingicanchange/imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

oh and it wasnt burned its just alot of discolored crap on it

Edited by cad

Its oil and too rich. Burnt oil turns to carbon. Be glad its not lead deposits from someone running leaded race fuel. You've got a motor built for a turbe three times the size of what you have. What did you do to it? I'm going to guess you did nothing wrong and this is just another example of ARP studs that come loose that should have been thread locked into the block and the torque instructions were misunderstood.

Here's basically about the torque wrench and using the lube under the turning surfaces -the nut and washer.

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/technical_installation.shtml

Here's the specific instructions for the head studs

http://arp-bolts.com/instructions/207-4202.pdf

Its "suggested" using thread locker in the block and from seeing loose studs or nuts or whatever, if I were you I'd put some on the threads in the block and it won't take much. It also says finger tight then I'd back off 1/2 turn but you have to do this when you are ready to tighten them down as thread locker cures in the absense of air so you can't put them in and wait until tomorrow to do the head because the threads only seal on one side and that's the side that makes contact when the stud is being pulled up. The holes need to be clean and not have oil or coolant in them, use some solvent and an air gun or a straw and a someway to dry it out. The reason for the tightening pattern is just so you start in the middle and zig zag your way out to each end if not the head doesn't mash down in a way that seals better. Ever roll something across a loose carpet and see how it can get the carpet loose in front of the wheels? That's the same kind of thing happening or might happen and is the reason for the pattern. If you don't have ARPs moly lube you can use 30W oil and their old instructions had that included and that uses a torque value of 120ftlbs, they have deleted that from the new instructions they want you to use their lube but their new formulation for that lube increased that value from 85 to 90ftlbs.

I've seen and heard too many loose ARP studs stories and its been a year or so since I put any in but they'll get thread locked from now on. If the head didn't swell up so bad and the vibrations from those deep holes and then some detonation wasn't rattling them around and the recent cracked blocks there's something those have in common and its all those ARP studs. I've never seen a head bolt come loose and it only has threads to come loose on one end.

Looks like that had a 9116 gasket on it from the crosshatch pattern or one similar design, you have to get all that cleaned off down to bare metal on both surfaces.