What is this sound?

NadesX

Since day 1 my car has been making this "whistle" sound when shift, I would say its timed about when you'd expect a BOV to vent. Its does it only under boots and I'm a little concerned right now although. Ive attached a sample of the sound, right around the 4 sec mark you'll hear it. You might have to turn up your volume a bit my cellphone does such a wonderful job of audio recording. If anyone could possible diagnosis or give point me in the general direction it would be much appreciated.

Specs on car is as follows:

Super 16G turbo upgrade

Braided steel oil feed line

1G Mas Conversion fully wired and ported

Aftermarket Oil Cooler

TEP full mandrel Down Pipe to stock exhaust

5 wire o2 sensor

Bosche BCFPR (boost compensating fuel pressure regulator)

Walbo 255GLH in-tank Pump

284 int/ 284 ex Moster Banshee Cams

Brand new MARNEL Ausi mod port matched head

Full Mechanical Rocker arm conversion

Brand new high performance valve springs

Full Jet-valve elimination

New fuel lines with fuel filters

New front gas-valve shocks

Centerforce Stage 3 Clutch rated to 400 lb feet

Lightened + balanced flywheel

New redline full synthetic fluid in the Tranny and Diff

New high flow intank fuel filter

New high flow cabin fuel filter

Voice0003(2).mp3

It's called compressor surge.

if you have a blow off valve, it isn't working.

If you don't install a bov, your turbo will die. Look in the inlet of the turbo and see if the tips of the blades are curled out, if they aren't, they will be.

how much boost are you running? it gets worse with more boost.

Edited by button

Ok, compressor surge, Ill look into the turbo and see whats up. I don't drive the car very hard at all since I just took it out of storage. I have no idea how much boost it is running, no boost controller, or boost gauge in this car yet. Just the stock crap one. I do know a couple of fins had some nicks in them, ill update with a photo in the next day or so. Can I replace it with any BOV or does it have to be the same one? Price range?

It doesnt have to be the same one just have the same flange you currently use. You should try adjusting yours first because that is most of the time whats wrong. If you cant adjust it enough then you may need a lighter spring. These options are a lot cheaper than replacing. If your BOV is bad then you can tell by looking at the diaphram. If its torn ripped or not sealing around the edge or shaft then Its bad and you have to replace. Other than that its an adjustment thing. and with no boost controller, you will be running whatever boost your wastegate spring is. 10-12 probably on a stock 16g. If your running super high boost, which your not, then I would say your BOV isnt big enough. You have to realize that your 16g at the same pressure will flow a lot more air than a 12a at the same pressure. Some BOV's will make the turbo surge even though they are working correctly because the air that has to come out cant get out of the BOV fast enough. Which brings us back to the adjustment. If your spring is too tough and you set too much preload on it then it will open but not fully and the pressure surges back out the turbo inlet. If it opens fully and you still have this problem after new springs and adjustments the next step is a larger BOV. Edited by DarksideDSM

It doesnt have to be the same one just have the same flange you currently use. You should try adjusting yours first because that is most of the time whats wrong. If you cant adjust it enough then you may need a lighter spring. These options are a lot cheaper than replacing. If your BOV is bad then you can tell by looking at the diaphram. If its torn ripped or not sealing around the edge or shaft then Its bad and you have to replace. Other than that its an adjustment thing. and with no boost controller, you will be running whatever boost your wastegate spring is. 10-12 probably on a stock 16g. If your running super high boost, which your not, then I would say your BOV isnt big enough. You have to realize that your 16g at the same pressure will flow a lot more air than a 12a at the same pressure. Some BOV's will make the turbo surge even though they are working correctly because the air that has to come out cant get out of the BOV fast enough. Which brings us back to the adjustment. If your spring is too tough and you set too much preload on it then it will open but not fully and the pressure surges back out the turbo inlet. If it opens fully and you still have this problem after new springs and adjustments the next step is a larger BOV.

lol....compressor surge will kill a turbo...

Nades, Do you have a BOV? There isn't one stock on our cars.

Starquests didnt come with a BOV because they didnt need one. They only ran 7psi or a little more. Why do you think they used those soft cloth hoses? Why do we jump to replace them with solids? Because they expand! They do their job.

The sound is definitely compressor surge, it is technically the sound of air slamming into the compressor turbine because it's bouncing back after hitting the closed throttle plate.

A BOV relieves this pressure by letting it out into the air so it doesn't damage the compressor oil seals, etc. That's the whole reason BOV's extend the life of your turbo, I would recommend getting one asap!

Well I did not mod the car myself it came this way. I took a look at the wastegate tonight, its a 3 plug wastegate, port A was connected port B closed and port C had nothing on it. When I get some more light Im going to get the vacuum lines fixes and run some tests. Guess Ill be running to HF to get a vacuum boost pump to check the wastegate also. Right now I just want this thing to run reliably. Thanks for all your guys help and information, much appreciated. Edited by NadesX

surge has never killed a turbo. If it did then how do you explain the countless cars that have no BOV from the factory? I had a 1980 porsche turbo that had the original turbo running a bar of boost that was still crisp as the first day when I sold It last year. There are a lot of myths about surge, the type that happens when you let off the throttle. Like, It spins the turbo backwards. FALSE. There is surge that will kill a turbo, the type that happens when your turbo is too big and it surges under power like full throttle. Thats it. Its an emissions control device. It was originaly invented for california emissions so there was no richness between shifts. If you dont believe, me look it up. There were quite a few performance magazines that did articles on this. If I can find it I will post a link on here soon. I also have a copy laying around here somewhere. It has never done anything to 'save' a turbo. The only reason everyone thinks this is because the companies that make them advertise it so. Rally car builders refer to them as noise suppression devices and dont run them. I never run them and I have never lost a turbo. Call greddy or turbonetics or garrett and ask what kind of bov you need. they will, and I've heard this myself, literally laugh at you and say ' you only need one of those if you like the sound'. I run 18psi on a daily driven starion with no bov and the original 12a. Ive been running it like that for years and still have no axle play, oil leakage, or problems with my compressor wheel.

surge has never killed a turbo. If it did then how do you explain the countless cars that have no BOV from the factory? I had a 1980 porsche turbo that had the original turbo running a bar of boost that was still crisp as the first day when I sold It last year. There are a lot of myths about surge, the type that happens when you let off the throttle. Like, It spins the turbo backwards. FALSE. There is surge that will kill a turbo, the type that happens when your turbo is too big and it surges under power like full throttle. Thats it. Its an emissions control device. It was originaly invented for california emissions so there was no richness between shifts. If you dont believe, me look it up. There were quite a few performance magazines that did articles on this. If I can find it I will post a link on here soon. I also have a copy laying around here somewhere. It has never done anything to 'save' a turbo. The only reason everyone thinks this is because the companies that make them advertise it so. Rally car builders refer to them as noise suppression devices and dont run them. I never run them and I have never lost a turbo. Call greddy or turbonetics or garrett and ask what kind of bov you need. they will, and I've heard this myself, literally laugh at you and say ' you only need one of those if you like the sound'. I run 18psi on a daily driven starion with no bov and the original 12a. Ive been running it like that for years and still have no axle play, oil leakage, or problems with my compressor wheel.

We bow to your knowledge.......we know nothing..........

my 20g started showing signs of scratching over on the tips of the blades (front face) from something hitting, few tiny chips, which is when i found out my ssqv wasnt working

i promptly switched it, and has been fine since, i dont like the idea of replacing my turbo lol