Painting engine bay

averse

I'm doing a real rattle can sloppy job of it, I know. Doing the rattle can while the engine and other parts are still installed, making it tricky since I am painting a black engine bay into a red car.

Anyway, here's a really early shot of the passenger side, which is all I have completed so far:

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/3179/c11d4dbbd14b424bbd9967f302a963d3.jpg

I didnt know that, thanks for the tip! I do have some matching single stage paint from when I had my 83 hood redone last year. Unfortunately I dont have a paint gun. This is kind of an experiment and I am not putting a whole lot of detail into it, lol.

Threw the chrome hardpipes back on (sorta) to see more what it will look like completed... (no black heatshields to cover turbo area installed)

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/3179/9f7fcc33ff29462b9856290a90f1d8cd.jpg

EDIT: yes, I need to lose the blue, I know ;)

Edited by averse

Lookin' good!

I am going to assume you cleaned all the greases and oils out of there first, and scuffed the old paint somehow? If not, that stuff will start to flake off after a couple months.

Some sort of adhesion promotor can be helpful too doing engine bays, to help the paint stick in areas that were hard to clean and scuff.

Edited by Burton

Lookin' good!

I am going to assume you cleaned all the greases and oils out of there first, and scuffed the old paint somehow? If not, that stuff will start to flake off after a couple months.

Some sort of adhesion promotor can be helpful too doing engine bays, to help the paint stick in areas that were hard to clean and scuff.

What burton said is 100% correct---prep is the key to anything lasting---klean strip has about the best adhesion promoter called "bulldog" and it can be had in a spraycan for about $20----anything short of that and you will probably be respraying ur engine bay in short order---i must say for not removeing much it does look presentable---good work--

gig out

Assume all you want, lol. I did spray engine degreaser to clean it as best I could, but I didnt do any other prep work. I wasnt sure how well i would be able to do this with all the wires/hoses/etc in the bay still, so this was more to experiment than to be a lasting effect. If I am happy with the completed work I will seriously consider stripping it down better and using a single stage paint like you guys are suggesting. Great advice and support so far!

Assume all you want

This made me LOL.

If you didn't do any scuffing or adhesion promoter, then that stuff will be flaking off. It may not be next week or next month, but once it starts it will go pretty fast.

Once it all flakes off, get some scotchbrite and scrub what you can before respraying. The most important thing to do is scuff existing paint. Fresh paint, no matter what kind, can't stick to a smooth, shiny surface. It needs some microscratches in the paint to bite into. Adhesion promoters will help, but even those will flake off from unscuffed paint.

While using a true automotive paint is always the "best" way to go. Rattle can jobs can look nice and last just as long as regular car paint if they are done right. Hell, I did my engine bay with rattle cans, but I scuffed and used an adhesion promoter.

Oh, and here's a little trick for scuffing with Scotchbrite. Use it in conjunction with water and Comet Cleanser. "Wash" whatever you are painting with the Scotchbrite, Comet and water. The abrasiveness of the Comet helps the Scotchbrite scuff easier and better, and the Comet and water work together to wash away grease and other contaminats.

Edited by Burton

• 2 weeks later...
Looks good man. I need to paint mine, still red and the car is black now.. Luckily John Deere makes the Blitz black in cans as well as quarts and gallons, and it's the same paint, way better quality than regular spray. If painting anything matte black, definitely use the JD paint. I only got as far as the pats you can see thru the cracks though, lol. One day! Edited by Fuze

Curious if any one after the PREP of the to be painted surfaces used aluminum foil to wrap the hoses and engine bay items not to be painted on. Curious to see Burtons view....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...