Cosmo Coil over install... Anything special needed?

tg118

I recently scored a set of Cosmo Coilovers... just curios if there are any suprises with installing these, or if its pretty straight-forward? never messed with springs before, but i would like to install these myself, i also dont wanna kill myself with a spring shooting at me... can it be done, or special tools (spring compresrors needed0

Thanks,

yea the sleeve over kits are basically plug and play. remove the tops ( i use a ratchet strap to compress springs). make sure springs are compressed in some way before removing the tops

you can either just slide the sleeves on, and put the tops back on, or the better way would be like Sotty said, basically if you look in the guide for mr2 conversion, it shows where you cut the perches off at

Just a spring compressor is the only special tool you'll need. I highly recommend a can of liquid wrench, especially on the big rear strut lower bolts. other than that, it's the same job as swapping out struts, a long process that's not that hard but takes time and patience.

Here's a tip though, when you get to the rear struts and free the tops from the car, you'll have to pull them outside the fender to get them up and out of the lower control arms. When you pull them, you might also pull the axle shafts out of the differential, even a little bit is bad. Make sure at reassembly that you tap the axle shafts all the way back into the differential, or you can rip the splines with off the axle and end up with a bunch of loose metal in your diff and a wasted axle. Also mind the brake lines, but that's about it.

• 1 month later...

The hardest part is taking the Stock Springs off. Like others in this post have mentioned, you will need a Spring Compressor. Harbor Freight sells a "Clam shell" one that works fine and is reasonably priced. Compressed Air with a Impact is recommended.

Bill

• Like 1

Just a spring compressor is the only special tool you'll need. I highly recommend a can of liquid wrench, especially on the big rear strut lower bolts. other than that, it's the same job as swapping out struts, a long process that's not that hard but takes time and patience.

Here's a tip though, when you get to the rear struts and free the tops from the car, you'll have to pull them outside the fender to get them up and out of the lower control arms. When you pull them, you might also pull the axle shafts out of the differential, even a little bit is bad. Make sure at reassembly that you tap the axle shafts all the way back into the differential, or you can rip the splines with off the axle and end up with a bunch of loose metal in your diff and a wasted axle.

:huh: Never had my Axle Shafts come out ??? Using a Crowbar, 2x4 or anything else that will work to lower the Rear Control Arms to enable the removal and re-installation of the Strut Assembly is all that is needed on the Rear Strut housing. I have removed the rear struts twice. Once to install the Mooketh Adj. coil set up and once to install the D2s. Never had my Axle Shafts come out ;) If your Rear Axle Shaft or shafts come out doing this procedure....Maybe your Circlip on the Inner shaft is shot and should be replaced.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

:huh: Never had my Axle Shafts come out ??? Using a Crowbar, 2x4 or anything else that will work to lower the Rear Control Arms to enable the removal and re-installation of the Strut Assembly is all that is needed on the Rear Strut housing. I have removed the rear struts twice. Once to install the Mooketh Adj. coil set up and once to install the D2s. Never had my Axle Shafts come out ;) If your Rear Axle Shaft or shafts come out doing this procedure....Maybe your Circlip on the Inner shaft is shot and should be replaced.

Bill

ive had mine come out before, but i changed struts in the rear like 4 times, so it popped out sometime in that lol, i remember letting the car down, putting it in gear, and it not moving, heart skipped a beat, then remembered the axles lol

• 2 weeks later...

ive had mine come out before, but i changed struts in the rear like 4 times, so it popped out sometime in that lol, i remember letting the car down, putting it in gear, and it not moving, heart skipped a beat, then remembered the axles lol

That' exactly how it happened to me. And .308, I was surprised as hell and had to ask some questions before I zeroed in on it, because I had never heard about it happening either! The clip was fine, only one shaft came out, and only about an inch and a half, enough to strip the threads off the part after the clip.

Edited by Fuze

• 2 weeks later...

I run 'em. They're GReeat. lol. My are the dual spring set-up. No clunking. Keep the fender well even with the fenders.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=67&pid=1239

They've had my car in the item pic for a couple years. Kinda cool.

• Like 1

i think auto zone rents for freeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!

It not exactly free... you pay for it and the refund the money when you bring it back. Autozone round here only had the two bolt nut/finger crap. Do like Cal said and go to Harbor Freight and get the clam shell one. Its $40 and will save a LOT of time. If you think you'll use it again keep it, if not, resell it here. I kept mine and Ive used it quite a few times helping family and friend do struts for a fraction of what a shop would charge. The tool has paid itself off 5 times over.

I run 'em. They're GReeat. lol. My are the dual spring set-up. No clunking. Keep the fender well even with the fenders.

http://www.cosmoraci...cid=67&pid=1239

They've had my car in the item pic for a couple years. Kinda cool.

What is the "Dual Spring Setup" smaller sping inside the main coil?