NGK Plug update

badazzquest

I saw a few people having problems getting Stock BPR7ES NGK plugs. The stock number has changed Stock#2023 to Stock# 5534. Ask for NGK Stock# 5534 and it will come up on the computers at the parts house. At least it did at my local O'Reilly B)

post-23839-131049029291_thumb.jpeg

Hmmm ... good to know. I just bought a set about 2 months ago, but I didn't have any problems. I think I still have the box though, I'm gonna check it and see if it's the same new stock number as yours.

Stock plugs are BUR7EA NGK# 7031, they're not usually stocked. Check the FSM, the BPR plugs are different, even though they work.

-Robert

There is some confusing info then. There are posts that say use BPR7ES Stock#2023. Which one is recommended for stock or lightly modded?

The BUR7EA is recommended. It's a semi surface discharge type and is more resistant to fouling because of rich conditions(like under boost, cold start, or idle in these motors).

The BPR7ES will work, but some have said idle is not as smooth compared to the others. I know in my car the BUR7EA's last longer before I have to change them from fouling.

-Robert

i have run BPR6'S BPR7'S and both worked good but i now run the BUR'S(NGK 7031) and the idle is better---I had to buy a 10pk from my local speed shop but less than 2 bucks a plug--well worth it---

gig out

The BUR7EA is recommended. It's a semi surface discharge type and is more resistant to fouling because of rich conditions(like under boost, cold start, or idle in these motors).

The BPR7ES will work, but some have said idle is not as smooth compared to the others. I know in my car the BUR7EA's last longer before I have to change them from fouling.

-Robert

Yes. This man has said everything I wanted to say.

The NGK 7031 (BUR7EA) are the plugs to go with. I ran BPR6's and 7's for years. Just began running BUR7EA's last year and let me tell you. These plugs really change how the 2.6 runs. I no longer suggest anything BUT BUR7EA's.

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody would have been throwing out 87 ECUs for over 20 years if they had the plugs they needed. If you can't ignite the fuel you can't begin to move on further without guessing, spending money and being pissed off.

Are any you guys getting these plugs at the local parts stores? Looking for some as well.

Yes you can get them. I got mine from Advanced Auto. they had to order them but it was there next day. They allowed me to get 4, other places required a box of 10

I get mine from Shucks/Oreilly, sometimes they're even stocked but don't count on it. Just tell them NGK part number 7031 when they look it up in their computer. Autozone doesn't carry/sell NGK plugs.

-Robert