Venting...

QuestFan

So tired of not being able to tune my car. And the turbo lag sucks too. I need to grab a five hour energy and read the mega manual but I just cant do it. I would like for someone to just walk me through how to do everything. I am more of the hands on type.

If someone has a nice turbo/manifold setup with minimal lag and wear of course that they would like to trade for a Turbonetics T3/T4 and an SMB manifold then let me know.

I realize I went overboard with the upgrades. Bigger is better ya know... ha...

My car is just a daily driver. I'm just a teen who wants a car that is fast and looks cool. But it needs to be reliable and not embarrass me in front of my friends.

Edited by YoungQuestFan

Have you been trying to tune the ve table manually or are you using ve analyizer? The ve analyizer works great for rough tuning. Make sure o2 correction and accel is off if you use it. Then once you have a decent tune you can fine tune the table. After the ve table is good, you can turn on accel and o2 correction.

I have not changed anything from the tune a fellow member did. I was afraid I would mess something up and never get it back to where it was. I don't even know how to adjust ve tables. If someone could walk me through it over the phone or in person that would be awesome

I don't understand why everyone on this site hates lag.

me either . my favorite part this car and my wrx . the cars put along and then slam you back into the seat . nothing more satisfying to me .

Do yourself a favor and sit down and read the megamanual. Take notes while you do it or you'll forget the important stuff. I just finished reading through the thing myself and I'm in your situation as well--it was previously tuned on a similar car, etc.

You can get an electronic boost controller like an eboost2 if you want to make the turbo spool quicker. It has gain settings and adjustable sensitivity so you can make the wastegate stay closed longer which helps the turbo spool faster. The sensitivity keeps the boost/power curve nicely settled.

If you want someone to walk you through it, sign up for the megasquirt forums on the megamanual site. But that will also require a bunch of reading and you'll probably get a lot of "read the manual" responses so you might as well go into it educated :lol:.

I can give some tips, but it's been maybe 3 years since I did any tuning. I'm not sure what has changed. Read the manual, you won't understand most of it but you will know where to refer back to when you start tuning/learning. Join the msextra forum. They can be helpful.

First off, did the previous owner give you a laptop for tuning? If not then your going to need to set your laptop up. The firmware on your laptop needs to match the firmware on the MS. Each newer firmware version will have slight tweaks to work out the bugs. Some changes you won't see anything other changes you may see in the menus of your tuning software. Which tuning software are you using? Megatune or tunerstudio? I mostly used megatune because tunerstudio wasn't out yet when I first started tuning. From what I hear, tunerstudio is better. Follow the instructions to get the software installed if you don't already have it. After that is all set up, you can hop in the car. Hook up the cable from the ms box to your pc. Turn key to on(not run), then open up your tuning software. If you don't have the same firmware version on both you will get an error message. It will say something like expected"......" received"....". If that is the case you have 2 options, go in the firmware archives and download the firmware that is used in the ms. Or, you can flash the ms to the latest firmware. Flashing the firmware will erase everything saved on the ms. You need to save/record your settings before you flash. Get your tuning software open. Go to file> save as. That will save the msq. You won't be able to use that for the new firmware, but it's good to save it. You can still open to look at it. After you save it, go through every menu and hand write everything on paper. All the tables (ve, ignition, boost, afr) you can use export. That way you don't have to write it down. After everything is recorded, you can flash to the latest firmware if you choose. Read the instructions on how to use 'download-firmware'.

Once your pc and ms both have the same firmware you can open up the tuning software again. Do not use open msq, you will receive a bunch of errors and it won't work. You need to build the msq from scratch with all the settings you wrote down and tables you exported. Go through all the menus again and put in the things you recorded. Then you can go to file>save as. This will be your current msq you can go back to if you don't like any changes you make. Now you can start tuning. The way I did it was, by using file>datalogging. When starting out on a fresh tune, the car will be pretty much undriveable. It will get better. While your datalogging, you want to drive and try and hit across the whole ve table(map,rpm) multiple times. If the tune is really bad you can datalog for a couple minutes, as it gets better you want to try and go for 20minutes. After you get your datalog, download megalogviewer. Open your msq and your datalog. Run ve analyizer. It will make changes to your ve table based on what your afr table is set to. Once done, export the ve table. Open the tuning software and import that ve table. In the tuning meun go to ve table, it will show a graph. Try and smooth out graph if you have any dramatic changes. Save the new msq. Go and datalog/ ve anaylize a bunch more times. Each time the ve table should get better.

You have a different option if you don't want to datalog/ ve analyize. I haven't used it but if you feel like paying for the full version of tuner studio, it has a live ve analyizer. It will basically make the adjustments to your ve table while you drive.

Hopefully this post helps someone on here with Megasquirt because I'm not retyping this again.

Im using megatune. I did a little autotune today but it displayed outside of tunning range most the time.

Yes Phinko got the specs for me.

Turbonetics

T3/T04B

Super H Comp

57mm turbine

.63 AR

I: 2.3"

E: 3"

You have a different option if you don't want to datalog/ ve analyize. I haven't used it but if you feel like paying for the full version of tuner studio, it has a live ve analyizer. It will basically make the adjustments to your ve table while you drive.

I want this... Anyone got a link for this? I dont think I even have the basic tunerstudio program.

If I was to ever build some kind of engine managment system, I would make it tune itself. All you would have to do is set the parameters and some after start enrichments to get it going and it would use all the sensors to adjust the rest in real time. Then you could plug it into some kindo of dyno machine and it would super tune it... lol Idk if that's possible. Im just a teenager. Just my fantasy I guess. Edited by YoungQuestFan

I never messed around with autotune, but I remember a mention that you need to open the settings or parameter file in word pad and change the tuning range.

.... Ugh. No idea how to do that. :wacko:

Back up your tune that's on there now before you go crazy and change a bunch of things, just in case. It's always nice to know you have a tune that at least runs.

Haha, and welcome to the world of stand alone fuel management systems, not a bad way to spend $10,000.

You're gonna have to be patient and take your time, I know it's difficult and frustrating, but doing it otherwise will likely cause engine damage. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you thought it was hard in the first place.

-Robert

^^This.

Either you can be lazy and pay some one $500 to put a solid tune on there, and have NO idea what's going on when you do something the tune doesn't like in the future, and have to pay someone another $500 to fix it...

Or take the time to learn it yourself.

This is coming from someone who shelled out upwards of $2,000 in tunes for my Focus. At the tail end of that project, I decided to go OBDI and learn the software myself :lol:.

Back up your tune that's on there now before you go crazy and change a bunch of things, just in case. It's always nice to know you have a tune that at least runs.

Haha, and welcome to the world of stand alone fuel management systems, not a bad way to spend $10,000.

You're gonna have to be patient and take your time, I know it's difficult and frustrating, but doing it otherwise will likely cause engine damage. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you thought it was hard in the first place.

-Robert

to OP'r a wise man once said any man can do what any other man has done , if that other man wrote it down you have a huge advantage over the first guy ,, apply some will power and drive to learn you may suprise your self ;)

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the tuning range so I can take advantage of auto tune.

I'm telling you, forget autotune. Try the ve analyizer. Here is the site for megalog viewer http://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/veAnalysis.html

If you want to try tuner studio here it is. The lite version is free but you don't get ve analyizer live. The full version is $50.

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

I'm telling you, forget autotune. Try the ve analyizer. Here is the site for megalog viewer http://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/veAnalysis.html

If you want to try tuner studio here it is. The lite version is free but you don't get ve analyizer live. The full version is $50.

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

haha ok I will ditch the autotune. So have you used the tuner studio ve analyzer? Does it do pretty dang good? I dont want to spend $50 on some program and be dissapointed.