Finally, a way to replicate hard to find SQ parts

natallica

Yeah, I think there is a huge section of the process missing. I know for a fact that there is no way you can 'scan' and 'reproduce' moving parts without manipulating the captured data at some point.

Just saw it and thought to myself... "Hey, Quest Parts" :)

-N8

The material those parts are made of is only suitable for a visual prototype. The finish is usually a little choppy too. Unfortunately, anything that would require an injection mold probably will never happen due to the cost. I'm still liking the idea of getting a group of people together and buying old tooling from Mitsubishi although that would probably never happen either.

My pops had an older one of those in the engineering department at a Pharma company he used to work for. I have a few paintgun parts that were made on it. I just saw an episode of My Classic Car with Jay Leno's garage, he has one that can not only make 3D parts, but also articulated parts like motorcycle chains, things with moving parts, etc out of one block of material. The machine would scan in 3D and then make an exact duplicate. When it comes out, it's like a plastic version of the assembled original. Leno had a bunch of intake manifolds, etc, already made and he said he took one of the models to a caster and had it made out of aluminum for $200. Dude was surprisingly cheap, he has this mega buck machine to make prototypes just so he can get the real parts made for cheap...? LOL Edited by Fuze

Check out Jay's Garage. He had a thing on these a few years ago and the made a replacement valve for one of his steam cars. The cool thing is you can take a print, test fit it, then use it to sand cast a new piece, using imprint or even loss casting.

HAH more than the printer maybe would be that scanning hand tool he used...

Im pretty sure i just saw a video of a 427 TT 69 camaro built by some company and they have one of those scanners...and if i remember right the guy claimed that hand held scanner alone is $60k used.

O.o

pretty damn amazing. Anyone know if its got DARPA money in it?

I don't know if the scanner is some sort of lidar, but the software is really neat. Watching it, its basically taking all the scanner's random slices and putting them together like some infinite jigsaw puzzle. We've used lidar at work occasionally to model bridge parts in the shop to make sure they will assemble in the field.

The material those parts are made of is only suitable for a visual prototype. The finish is usually a little choppy too. Unfortunately, anything that would require an injection mold probably will never happen due to the cost. I'm still liking the idea of getting a group of people together and buying old tooling from Mitsubishi although that would probably never happen either.

Actually if you were going to use it as a pattern for injection molding it would be way cheaper to use a clean original part. Way better quality too...