SMB Header Ceramic Coated .. Finally!

Finally got my (new) SMB manifold back from ceramic coating. I had it done at Swaintech with their White Lightning coating. $200 for the coating. This is a redesigned model from the last one that I had issues with. Thanks again SMB!

I am very very happy with it and can't wait to get this thing on! (it had better fit http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4449/20110707112820.jpg

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/977/20110707112759.jpg

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9277/20110707083438.jpg

even better,,,,who carries a lockout/tagout tag in there purse lol....looking very nice. it the bluing on the waste gate from welding?

Dale you would notice that! :D

The lock out tag is mine, and PURSE!? That's my tool bag. lol

Took that pic in the car as soon as I picked up the mani

Yep the blue is from welding.

Edited by psu_Crash

After some drilling grinding and hammering I finally got it on there. I had to take out the studs and put them back once the manifold was in place because the flange hits this on the way in

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8804/20110708220110.jpg

But after a few hours ....

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7812/20110709002537.jpg

Now my problem is that the turbo outlet is directly behind my PS resevoir. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

Not sure what to do about that yet. Anyone have suggestions on relocation?

firstly, cut that chunk off the block or it will prove to be annoying again.

secondly, that manifold was not planned to fit on a stock car. I'm guessing it wasn't mocked on a stock car during assembly. The collector should be almost centered on #1. But flow wise, its "optimal"

otherwise, you could point the outlet down and use a 90* to run the hot pipe lower. might help for air filter placement? unless you plan on keeping that stock.

Edited by button

No stock filter setup. I made a bracket to relocate the PS resevoir so my ic piping is all good. I thought about hacking that off but I didn't have anything handy at the time. Should have the exhaust back hooked up today and we'll see how it runs with this thing

I finally got it all buttoned up today and went for a spin. I'm very pleased! This manifold really changes the feel of the car. Boost seems to come on smoother than before and starts building earlier. Now I have to re-tune my fuel maps. At 22psi AFRs were a little leaner than I like at high 11's. Actually all through the boost range it needs a little more fuel now.

Haha im in the works of moving my ps res with the treadstone. Going to be using fuel line for now which really sucks...but as soon as its driving again ill go to another store and buy some better hoses.

I wish i would have went with a S.M.B. header...would have saved me a lot of pain hahaha

Haha im in the works of moving my ps res with the treadstone. Going to be using fuel line for now which really sucks...but as soon as its driving again ill go to another store and buy some better hoses.

I wish i would have went with a S.M.B. header...would have saved me a lot of pain hahaha

Getting this manifold all hooked up came with all new and different pains! lol

Sorry it took so long to respond, but I just used the stock square thing for the air-can as a mounting point and bent the PS lines then used a short length of tube. It's not pretty underneath, but it works.

Oh noes. Too much boost for that headgasket??

-Robert

Well ... honestly I think it was just my less than ideal tune up top with this header. I was seeing about 11.7 AFR at 22psi with timing at 19 advanced and methanol spraying.

So I blame myself, not the Ajusa

OH CRAP!

Man that sucks dude...maybe just condensation? lol....sorry

Well not its time to o-ring that shiz and run 28psi! :D

Ha! There was no question what it was. Immediately filled my garage with cotton candy smoke :(

Seriously considering it may be time to O-Ring it and go copper HG

My worry now is the bottom end. H2O/Oil + bearings is never a good thing. Also hoping it didn't fill a cylinder with coolant. I'll find out it the very near future.

No need for a copper HG. the 28 dollar felpro old style one works great. Just bring the gasket into the machinist and he can put the grove right in the center of the little fire ring on the gasket. But I suggest you build the most bada** bottom end you can. Either some mondo steel rods or aluminum rods, knife edge the crank, do a 3 angle grind on all edges of the block, then get the whole thing cryo'd. Also don't forget the 10:1 pistons. This is the only way Allah wants it to be.

No need for a copper HG. the 28 dollar felpro old style one works great. Just bring the gasket into the machinist and he can put the grove right in the center of the little fire ring on the gasket. But I suggest you build the most bada** bottom end you can. Either some mondo steel rods or aluminum rods, knife edge the crank, do a 3 angle grind on all edges of the block, then get the whole thing cryo'd. Also don't forget the 10:1 pistons. This is the only way Allah wants it to be.

I have always ran the Ajusa so I'm not real familiar with the Old Style Fel-Pro you speak of. I know I've heard guys talk about it here but I never paid a lot of attention. So you are saying I can O-ring without having a receiver groove? Enlighten me

3-angle the block edges .. got it. Do you want a pic of my machinist's :huh: face when I tell him that?

My rods are stockers that have had the stress risers ground, shot peened and recon'd. I'll run them until they break/bend. I don't think they will.

Knife edge sounds great .. but .. probably won't happen right now. I am thinking this would be a good time to get the OS SS valves in there though.

Other than that the bottom end should be stout for my purposes. I don't really ever plan on pushing more than 400 to the wheels.

Allah!? i though we ran a non-denominational service here?? :lol:

Allah loves high horsepower. He knows the odds are better than you'll meet him sooner, lol! (and for people upset about that, it was only a joke. My friend used to say that the conquest turkey gobble was actually the turbo screaming Allah repeatedly).

But seriously now, if you don't plan on much over 400, then forget everything I said, except the o-ringing stuff.

I think it's the 8770 part number felpro gasket, and you only need to o-ring the block, unless you plan on making 50 lbs of boost, which at that point, you may as well put a v8 in it. And with the 3 angle thing, that's for you to do on your own with a grinder and a steady hand.

hey psu, havent been on lately, racing season...lol good to hear u got it all goin, sorry to hear about ur headgasket, i also had to go up on fuel percent with my car aswell. now that im on summer break maybe i can get back to my starion projects too.