Digital Camera Repair

MainstreaM

Got our Olympus E-PL1 wet on vacation. Partially submerged in saltwater, got it out before it got fully submerged. Camera was off when it happened. Took it straight in and put in rice to absorb moisture. Now I put in the battery and no response from the camera at all. Would it be worth having repaired or is it toast? Lense got water in it too.

Kane

Got our Olympus E-PL1 wet on vacation. Partially submerged in saltwater, got it out before it got fully submerged. Camera was off when it happened. Took it straight in and put in rice to absorb moisture. Now I put in the battery and no response from the camera at all. Would it be worth having repaired or is it toast? Lense got water in it too.

Kane

Sounds like toast to me. If it were fresh water maybe, but not salt water. What is the cost for a new/used one of the same/similar model?

For the last few years I've been buying, repairing and reselling Canon's Elph series cameras. My experience with these has shown me that once a camera's been wet it's not reliable, even if I can get it functional again. Boards inside don't like the moisture, neither do the lens assemblies or CCD's. You may get lucky with your Olympus, but if it were me I'd probably write it off.

I got my wife's camera repaired from people listing on ebay, wife dropped it right on the lens while it was extended and bent it. Was $60 and they were fast. Might try looking there.

-Robert

For the last few years I've been buying, repairing and reselling Canon's Elph series cameras. My experience with these has shown me that once a camera's been wet it's not reliable, even if I can get it functional again. Boards inside don't like the moisture, neither do the lens assemblies or CCD's. You may get lucky with your Olympus, but if it were me I'd probably write it off.

It was generally a rule with film SLRs that if they got wet they were only good for parts 'cause it would take more than the camera was worth to restore them & then it was a toss of the dice as to how long they would last. Sounds like this rule applies to digital cameras too...

I'll tell you how http://www.precisioncamera.com/ works.

They replace any part that is damaged, if the part cost and labor exceeds 85% of the camera's CURRENT retail price, they dont repair it. If its below, they do. I believe they charge like $50 for an estimate to repair, which gets applied to the final repair cost.

They clean parts as well and do component repair, so if a small transistor is burned out, they will replace that $0.05 cent part instead of swapping the whole board (although, they might charge you the board cost)

Give me a call, see what it takes to send it out.

most digital slr's have a flat rate diagnose fee, my 20d was something like $150 to check and if repairs exceeded that then it would go towards the repair, if it was under then it'd still be that much. but to find out it cost 400 to fix a $500 camera, or pay $150 to find out you need another $500 camera..

your best bet is to hit walmart or slickdeals.net and get a good slr when they are on clearance or special. canon also has a trade in deal where they give you a loyalty rebate on your broken camera. And yes, it has to be broken. don't ask me why.

man that sucks,, fresh water is bad enought but salt water is realy bad on any electronics , my bro has lost 5 or 6 cell phns to salt water ,, he needs to stop carrying them on his belt with a clip and lean over the boat side lol

http://www.precisioncamera.com/

That is where Best Buy sends out all camera's for repair under the extended warranty. They do good work.

I worked for Precision Camera for 2.5 years and have worked for one of the manufactures for the past 2, repairing cameras. Often times corrosion will cause a camera to become BER, but not always.