83 MAP Sensor vs. 84-86 MAP Sensors

jonboyb

Trying to help a friend get his 83 back into shape and something is wonky with the MAP sensor. However....the MAP in an 83 is a metal box versus the black plastic MAPs found from 84-86. Anyone know if they are interchangable??? I have a couple of spares for an 84-86 but finding an 83 MAP is going to be dang near impossible. I also hate to get him to buy one and it not turn out to be the issue. I didn't have any of my spares with me so unsure if the plugs are the same as well???

Car starts and idles perfectly but ANY throttle input and it dies instantly. Thought it was the TPS but ti wasn't. Went throught the fuel system and everything looks good. Like you said....unplugged the MAP and it'll rev so certainly looks like a bad MAP. Don't have the guts to try and drive it without a MAP :lol: Edited by jonboyb

I would call Couth Jon. I don't see why you can't just change the plug out and use the 84-86 ...I don't think they would have made that big of a change on it. The 86 still came with single port wastegate didn't it? Same boost cut etc? or is it completely different with the retarded TB and no IC..