83 wont run

FijiPhil

On monday I dragged home an 83, it looks to be in decent shape considering its 28 years old.. only 96,000 miles. The car would crank but wouldnt run. It did start up and run on a shot of starting fluid though. Im thinking, replace the fuel pump and itll be ready to rock.. Sweet!

Turns out the pump was working well, but was so low on gas it either couldnt suck it up or had lost its prime.. So I throw some gas in it and its getting gas to the injectors now. Nice! Still... sputters for a few seconds at best, then nothing. It is worth mentioning I have reciepts for all new fuel filters in the car, and the tank is nearly spotless from what I can see in the inspection hole.

It does have spark, it has power to the injectors. I pulled the injectors out to look at the clips.. but I guess 83s didnt use clips? The injectors appear to have the leads hardwired into them. They look clean though, and the inside of the TB looks very clean.

The timing appears to be spot on, it has some NGK spark plugs that were fouled out, but I cleaned them up. I also replaced all the plug wires because the ones on the car were falling apart.

The only thing I can figure is maybe dead injectors, (although the plugs fouled themselves again from cranking.. Im not sure dead injectors are really possible then) A bad ecu, or a weak spark? The spark at the wire end is a paleish yellow.. So maybe that would make it not fire?

I have gotten it to run a few times.. it ran like it has a massive vacuum leak. ALl the lines look to have been replaced recently. It honestly runs like a widebody without the intercooler piping hooked up lol.

So am I on the right track here with the coil or ECU theory? If its a bad ECU, are 83s the only interchangeable? Thanks!

On monday I dragged home an 83, it looks to be in decent shape considering its 28 years old.. only 96,000 miles. The car would crank but wouldnt run. It did start up and run on a shot of starting fluid though. Im thinking, replace the fuel pump and itll be ready to rock.. Sweet!

Turns out the pump was working well, but was so low on gas it either couldnt suck it up or had lost its prime.. So I throw some gas in it and its getting gas to the injectors now. Nice! Still... sputters for a few seconds at best, then nothing. It is worth mentioning I have reciepts for all new fuel filters in the car, and the tank is nearly spotless from what I can see in the inspection hole.

It does have spark, it has power to the injectors. I pulled the injectors out to look at the clips.. but I guess 83s didnt use clips? The injectors appear to have the leads hardwired into them. They look clean though, and the inside of the TB looks very clean.

The timing appears to be spot on, it has some NGK spark plugs that were fouled out, but I cleaned them up. I also replaced all the plug wires because the ones on the car were falling apart.

The only thing I can figure is maybe dead injectors, (although the plugs fouled themselves again from cranking.. Im not sure dead injectors are really possible then) A bad ecu, or a weak spark? The spark at the wire end is a paleish yellow.. So maybe that would make it not fire?

I have gotten it to run a few times.. it ran like it has a massive vacuum leak. ALl the lines look to have been replaced recently. It honestly runs like a widebody without the intercooler piping hooked up lol.

So am I on the right track here with the coil or ECU theory? If its a bad ECU, are 83s the only interchangeable? Thanks!

if the injectors are bad they could cause flooding. never heard of hardwired injectors, someone try an experiment and it went horribly wrong?

if the injectors are bad they could cause flooding. never heard of hardwired injectors, someone try an experiment and it went horribly wrong?

I have a pic.. ill put it on photobucket and post it here

Pinch in a fuel line perhaps...Put a fuel pressure gauge in the rail and see how much pressure your getting to the inj...or hillbilly it and see if she sprays out like a garden hose when off the rail..

I use to have a 83 Starion up until Jan of of this year.

Few things to look at:

- A fuel pressure gauge off the incoming fuel line will HELP GREATLY. (I have had one on the incoming and return lines)

- Fuel Pressure Regular might be going. (unfortunately a factory 83 model FPR is VERY tuff to find,... I had to use a aftermarket one to keep the fuel pressure correct. Correct Pressure is about 35-37 PSI for normal non-intercooled 83. Mine was intercoolered I ran about 38 PSI plus larger tubro set to 9.5psi)

- Check both sets of HARD line under the car for both fuel feed to the ECI and vapor line from the tank to the Charcoal Canistor. (I had the hard vapor line plugged that ran from the tank to the front Charcoal canistor under the air cleaner box. I had the fuel vapor line, plus one of the check valves off that hard line to the charcoal canistor plugged, cause the fuel to back up into the fuel return line from the ECU system cause the car to flood.)

Hope is helps and good luck with the 83.

They are very touch to set, but once you do... they are sweet!!! :)

Wolf

Edited by StrayWolf83

The injectos are stuck closed from fuel varnish. The coil in the injector isn't strong enough to break them loose. You need to take some compressed air and back flush them to get them unstuck. They really need cleaned.

Actually, the '83 injectors are known for burning up if running hard continuously. As in road racing or drifting. One guy on here has gone through several sets, ruining the rarest of injectors. I have a few used sets, but won't let any go until I come up with a conversion to use a more standard injector.

I still think yours are stuck, or yes, they could be burned up.

Thanks for the replies guys! Its nice to get such fast responses from people more knowledgeable than myself Haha.. wolf ill look into that stuff.. do you think those issues would prevent the car from running?

Tim, not to sound like an idiot, but do I just put compressed air on the bottom side of the injector and let it rip? 35-40 psi range? I think if the injectors have a problem they are hung open, the plugs were wet after several attempts to start the car.

Those injectors are all gummed up inside. They aren't as exposed as the others and don't run as cool. They stick and fire awful. They are always dirty and leak and spray very poorly. You need to have them cleaned in the worst way. They do dispense the same amount of fuel as the 84-86 injectors but you can't swap them. The 83 also has a whimpy direct drive starter and doesn't roll over as quickly if the battery has lower amps, not fully charged or has dirty connections and those lower cranking rpms isn't helping because the initial compression is lower.

Those injectors are all gummed up inside. They aren't as exposed as the others and don't run as cool. They stick and fire awful. They are always dirty and leak and spray very poorly. You need to have them cleaned in the worst way. They do dispense the same amount of fuel as the 84-86 injectors but you can't swap them. The 83 also has a whimpy direct drive starter and doesn't roll over as quickly if the battery has lower amps, not fully charged or has dirty connections and those lower cranking rpms isn't helping because the initial compression is lower.

Can witch hunter do these or do I need to send them to a specialty place?

WitchHunter can do them just fine...

Alright thanks Roberto! Is there anything I can do in my garage to test that they aren't absolute junk before I pay to have them cleaned? I've always had enough spare good injectors if I had a bad one.. I don't have that luxury now Haha.

You can get them unstuck with the 30 PSI of compressed air (if they are stuck). Then use a 9 volt battery to power them to see if they will cycle.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys... Sorry i never updated this. I know its helpful to do so when other members are trouble shooting similar problems.

So! I got the car running perfectly. First of all, the FPR vac line was unhooked! Haha. I cant believe I missed that. A buddy pointed that one out.

So after it was running, it would Idle at about 350 rpms and only rev to 750 or so before it would just cut off. Sounded like a massive back pressure restriction. Turns out the primary cat was so clogged thats all it would do! replaced it with a 2.5 in. downpipe and she ran like a top!

Anyways, thats my story, 5 months later. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Yes, that's good to know. Usually, you will know the exhaust is becoming plugged up, but you just bought it and didn't hear it run, so that is a greater possibility.

Glad you got another one on the road!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r80/fijiphil/83starionandnicolesvisitandbeach090.jpg

Here is a pic of it. I wish I had been able to keep it. It was an absolute blast to drive. Felt much more nimble than a widebody!

More narrow wheel track, yes that makes them steer quicker and with the more narrow tires that also helps. You only need the FPR hooked up if you make any boost and boost comes way before zero btw on a vacuum gauge. Zero is zero but your altitude will determine your atmospheric pressure and anything above that IS boost.