Wont start!?!?!?

87Conquest TSI

i have a 1987 chrysler conquest. i was driving down the road and all of a sudden it just completely died. didnt sputter out or anything just instant death. i figured it was something to do with the ignition system. so i put a new pick up coil new cap and rotor pulgs and wires on it. and still nothing. it turns over and everything its getting gas but no spark. what else should i be checking?

i just put a new ignition on it and same thing. and could you explain more on the fuse links. cause i checked all the fuses by the battery and all of them were fine. is there any kind of test i can do that will help me.

Do you have spark? Ignition on this car is from the key switch, the dist. turns and provides a signal to the ignitor and the ignitor fires the coil. The ECU gets a tach signal from the - coil terminal to fire the injectors but the ECU gets its power from that ECI fuse link. The fuse link is just that short wire and if it looks ok doesn't mean the ends aren't corroded and they commonly are from the battery acid near them. Unplug and plug them in a few times. Do your headlights work? The large white wires from the + battery post are what feeds the fuse link holder from the underside. Did you install an ignition box and use a tach adapter and delete the stock ignitor? Those plastic ignitors can die without warning and its common for them to do this. You'll not have any ignition when they do so no you won't have fuel either. If you have spark and think the ECU is getting power but it still won't start you can try starting fluid if you don't have a way to check the pulse at the injector. Maybe your primary injector clip is dirty have you checked/replaced those?

when you turn the key, does it crank at all?

do you still have power?

if you still have power, with no crank at all, look at the fuse links right above the coil, the first one (closest to the battery) may have deteriorated on you, replace it.

if that does not work or isn't your problem check the rest of the links for the iginition system...

basically it comes down to this...if u have power but no crank its ignition system, so just look it up in the fsm located here...

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_nav.html

it cranks over and everything. its just wont start no fire at all. just turns over. i am replacing the alternator right now. and what do you mean that the ignition has a pulse? i do not have any spark at all. yes my headlights are working. and i rebuilt the injectors and that whole set up about 5 months ago. i have not installed an ignition box. can that be the problem why it doesnt want to start. i have also looked at the fsm and that doesnt seem to help at all. any suggestions on stuff i can just replace to get spark. i know that is the problem. i get fuel and everything i have sprayed starting fluid in the carb and i can also smell gas. i just have no spark. i have replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, pick up coil and now the alternator. i know the alternator probably has nothing to do with it but it need one anyways.

Have you changed the igniitor or tested it atleast? Do you have spark when you crank the car over?!

no i have no spark. i have changed the ignition coil the distributar, cap and rotor, and i put a new pick up coil on it. should there be power the the pick up coil at all times when the key is on?

i have not installed an ignition box. can that be the problem why it doesnt want to start.

Yes. Like Indiana mentioned without the ignitor working, you wont' get spark. Its pretty common that the 87- black plastic ignitors fail without warning. You can try wiggling its harness connector to see if that helps, its a slim chance but better than nothing.

i got the damn thing to start finally. i don't know what i did. but i unplugged and plugged a bunch of stuff to see if there was corrosion on the terminals. didnt find anything that was bad. got in it and the car started right up. have no clue im gonna let the car sit for a good amount of time before i try to start it again to see if anything is bad again.

I know you have it running but in the future if it acts up here are a few things to check.

First the pickup coil doesn't recieve power from the ignition it generates a small current when the distributor spins.

Before assuming you have a dead ignitor check for 12v + on the red wire leading into the ignitor. If no 12v then check the ECI fuse link. If the ECI fuse link is ok then check for power at the ECI relay located above the ECU. The red wire is 12v + out. That relay may be making a bad contact in your case.

Sounds like you had a loose connection when you were "throwing" parts at it. With electrical problems...the best thing to do is start testing the problem circuit with a meter. My prefered method is disconnect the car's battery and with meter set on Ohms, check continuity. The problem almost always shows up within 5 minutes. This method pinpoints exactly where the problem is...bad/dirty connection, failed part, or broken wire. Then you replace only failed parts, save hassle, money and time.

Electrical problems can be a pain, but with the above method of testing, it can be found and corrected easily in most cases. Stress and panic free. If you don't have a multimeter...get one. Should be in any auto repair toolbox. You'll be glad you did. Also get extra long meter leads...comes in handy when you need to go from the battery cable to things like fuse box under dash. A good idea to have on hand a small soldering iron, solder, and shrink wrap in the most common sizes. Just in case you need it later.