arp studs tick

i have looked around and was wondering when you have the arp head studs in does it cause a rocker arm or something to hit the valve cover i wouldnt think head studs would cause anything like this. and is thats the reason for the trimming of the valve cover? beacuse i just got all the exhaust leaks fixed and what not and now i can hear a ticking noise from the motor. sounds like a bad lifter. but i just had new lifters put in and cant figure out this noise. i was just wondering if that could be the cause. i never did any modification to my valve cover when installing my arp head studs. thanks for the help.

The reason people 'trim' the valve cover is that two studs will hit the baffling and prevent the valve cover from seating completely. A ticking sound 'might' also occur if you used all 'exhaust' rockers on a head that doesnt have jet valves (the exhaust rockers do not have the stud hole provision for the jet valve adjuster), these rockers may contact the valve cover if used as intake rockers (or so i've heard)

The places to trim are here:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/RX-7-88/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo10022202.jpg

I did my trimming with a dremel, others have just used pliers to snap those parts off.

Edited by InvolvedRotary

The ARP studs themselves hit the valve cover and prevent it from seating and sealing. Are you sure you didn't shift your valvecover in some direction?

You didn't change the valve cover to one from another car did you? There are some of the "mitsubishi" logo valve covers that can contact the #2 intake rocker. There is a difference in the casting where the secondary air cleaner mounting stud is that will rub on the side of the rocker as it goes up and down.

try loosening the cover a bit while it's making the noise- if it's a rocker hitting the cover it will change pitch. if it's a lifter it won't change.

Dad

Part of the underside of the valve cover needs to be modified when you install ARP Head studs.Professor Quest has a excellent write up for doing the mod on Trances site.

Bill

Oil will now slop back there easier with that baffle cut off (but it has to be modded but not that much) and block crankcase pressure escaping its why you need a second hose connection like where the turbo oil drain hose is and move that oil drain hose for the turbo to the pan where it should have been all along.