4 pot brake upgrade

That is a damn fine setup. Do those Superlites use the 7112 pad? I'm wondering what rotor that uses, I almost want to say those are Cobra units, but the center doesn't look right.

I want to say they are a BMW rotor iirc, thus the reason for the second set of lug holes, and 7420 pads

Edited by D_Venable

Those wilwoods are really nice. I wana use the vr4 setup. Calipers are 250.00 for the pair. I wounder if you can use vr4 brak erotors. If so your looking at 450.00 to 500.00. That's alot cheaper than the wilwoods and probably just as good.

i want to upgrade all 4 brakes. not just the front haha

Haha based on the brake pad compound thread, I don't think any one will be using the additional stopping power a 4 wheel caliper upgrade provides. "Bling brake upgrades" FTW... lol.

-Robert

Haha based on the brake pad compound thread, I don't think any one will be using the additional stopping power a 4 wheel caliper upgrade provides. "Bling brake upgrades" FTW... lol.

-Robert

sure there are more aggressive compounds that you could use on our stock sized brakes...but they deteriorate faster....

isnt this the same attitude as saying... "your 12a will run 20psi, so why run a 16g at 15psi?"

sure there are more aggressive compounds that you could use on our stock sized brakes...but they deteriorate faster....

isnt this the same attitude as saying... "your 12a will run 20psi, so why run a 16g at 15psi?"

Haha that psi analogy is very different. If you're not maxing out the stock braking system, there's no need to upgrade, it'd be more of a want. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting upgrades or doing things just because you can.

-Robert

Haha that psi analogy is very different. If you're not maxing out the stock braking system, there's no need to upgrade, it'd be more of a want. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting upgrades or doing things just because you can.

-Robert

i would argue that a 12a at 20 lbs isnt quite maxed out and that the more efficient 16g would be an upgrade even though the 12a hasnt reached its limits...

granted i agree that unless you have really sticky tires all of this is a moot point in the brake world. im just playing devils advocate.

"Wants" are the reason we keep our SQs on the road every passing day, lol.

I mentioned my bracket idea to the machinist, he says once he moves all his fab equipment into the shop then he'll take a look at what I want. The shop may actually be moving right next door to me (I live in a motorcycle shop two doors down and the larger unit between us just opened) so I'll essentially have the setup right in the palm of my hands.

I don't really want to waste my time and money on 3000GT or 300ZX calipers, since brand new Wilwoods are maybe $50 more per pair, and pads are cheap. I can build around different rotors though, if you guys want. I figured the Crown Vic rotor route would be good for those that want it to fit behind the stock wheels, though I'd prefer running a two-piece Wilwood rotor (new disc hoops are $40 each through Summit) in 12" flavor (might actually fit behind non-SHP 8"s?).

If the demand is high enough, I can get my hands on some Evo or STI Brembo bits (should be interchangeable between the brands, but I have open access to Subaru-based parts for free), and can fab the setup around those rotors as well, since the Evo is obviously 5x114.3, and newer STIs from '04+ are 5x114.3 as well. The rotors in either case should be close to 13".

I'm pretty hard on my brakes, Robert, that's arguably my only reason for wanting to upgrade with higher-dollar equipment. I don't like that those calipers are dated, and when I try a retrofit I'd like to use the most current bits on the market, granted race-compound pads for Z32s and 3KGTs will probably be around for a minute.

I just like to be able to lean on them when I need them, and I have reached the fading point of stock SQ stuff on more than one occasion while blasting down a few of my favorite mountain twisties.

Ideally, the strongest bracket would place the caliper where the stock unit is, makes for a smaller [and cheaper] piece.

I guess you guys tell me what you want [i'm assuming the Nissin 4-pots off Z32s and 3KGTs and stock rotors for now?] and I'll assemble the goods to get the proper measurements to the machinist. I'm still building myself a set around the Wilwood calipers and rotors, so my brackets will be entirely different.

I'm interested in the Nissan brakes because they are proven, easy to find, and (most importantly) I already have a set :)

Also they are the same calipers used on the Skyline

Not to mention, if you get brackets for the z32 brakes, then that opens up a whole world of options that the 240sx guys use like a set of brembos for under $700 http://www.z1motorsports.com/240sx/product_info.php?products_id=4176

Edit: Is it possible to see if a bracket can be done for the rears as well?

Edited by leesfer

I'm pretty hard on my brakes, Robert, that's arguably my only reason for wanting to upgrade with higher-dollar equipment. I don't like that those calipers are dated, and when I try a retrofit I'd like to use the most current bits on the market, granted race-compound pads for Z32s and 3KGTs will probably be around for a minute.

I just like to be able to lean on them when I need them, and I have reached the fading point of stock SQ stuff on more than one occasion while blasting down a few of my favorite mountain twisties.

Ideally, the strongest bracket would place the caliper where the stock unit is, makes for a smaller [and cheaper] piece.

I guess you guys tell me what you want [i'm assuming the Nissin 4-pots off Z32s and 3KGTs and stock rotors for now?] and I'll assemble the goods to get the proper measurements to the machinist. I'm still building myself a set around the Wilwood calipers and rotors, so my brackets will be entirely different.

I think i speak for all starquesters when i say that IDEALLY. someone would produce a bracket that allows you to reuse everything but the stock calipers/rotors (yes, stock wheels). And that utilizes larger calipers that are JUNKYARDABLE...preferably rotors that come from something common and are easily found at napa etc... Even if you have to run a spacer between the wheel and the caliper to get it to work (i.e. create more of a "hat" on the rotor with a spacer) that would be fine.

biggest selling points for me would be:

-stock location calipers

-stuff i can find at a junkyard (besides the bracket)

-re use as much of the factory lines and DEF my shp wheels (until i can afford to go wider).

-and it'd be cool to have a rear brake upgrade option too.. (then id just have to buy a manual proportioning valve and replace the stock one.

-Low cost =< 500 bucks.

I'm interested in the Nissan brakes because they are proven, easy to find, and (most importantly) I already have a set :)

Also they are the same calipers used on the Skyline

Not to mention, if you get brackets for the z32 brakes, then that opens up a whole world of options that the 240sx guys use like a set of brembos for under $700 http://www.z1motorsp...roducts_id=4176

Edit: Is it possible to see if a bracket can be done for the rears as well?

I can measure out something for rear calipers as well. Do you have something specific in mind? The Z32 units will not work as they use a drum-brake style e-brake and have no provision for a cable on the caliper. If I'm not mistaken the Subaru and Evolution calipers are the same way. I'm open to suggestions on the rear.

Do also keep in mind that those 240sx brake upgrades are based on the Nissan spindle caliper pattern, not the SQ spindle caliper pattern. A custom adapter would be required regardless.

I think i speak for all starquesters when i say that IDEALLY. someone would produce a bracket that allows you to reuse everything but the stock calipers/rotors (yes, stock wheels). And that utilizes larger calipers that are JUNKYARDABLE...preferably rotors that come from something common and are easily found at napa etc... Even if you have to run a spacer between the wheel and the caliper to get it to work (i.e. create more of a "hat" on the rotor with a spacer) that would be fine.

biggest selling points for me would be:

-stock location calipers

-stuff i can find at a junkyard (besides the bracket)

-re use as much of the factory lines and DEF my shp wheels (until i can afford to go wider).

-and it'd be cool to have a rear brake upgrade option too.. (then id just have to buy a manual proportioning valve and replace the stock one.

-Low cost =< 500 bucks.

Fair enough. I keep realizing that not everyone wants what I want, haha. Doesn't hurt any that a few people already are holding Nissan or Mitsu calipers. While I don't have any front SHP 8" wheels I can build the kit to clear the stock 7"s, so with any luck they'll clear the SHP wheels without issue. I may run my SHP 9"s on the front so I'll check for clearance there as well.

I guess the only thing holding me back now is actually getting Z32 calipers in my hands to start measuring and fabbing from.

Another quick question: Are folks using the Z32 Turbo calipers, or are some using the non-turbo units? If I'm not mistaken, the non-turbo units are narrower and have a slightly different bolt pattern, though I haven't confirmed that.

Edited by Dave-O

I will have to do some research on the rears, although for those running a hydraulic e-brake, the Z32 calipers (etc) will work

I believe most are using the Turbo Z32 calipers - the 30MM ones, though I believe the bracket is the same

As for the 240sx upgrades, I was referring to bolt-on caliper upgrades, not the rest of the set

I guess I'm a bit lost as to what you're referring to with the 240sx scenario.

Good to know about the 30mm calipers, those are what I figured everyone was using.

I personally wouldn't remove the cable brake in favor of a hydro, but that's personal preference. I'll rock a hydro brake alongside a functioning stock cable brake though. For safety and parking, anyway.

I may just end up selling my Z32 calipers and just go with a front and rear set of Wilwoods

I don't want any crazy brake bias that could be caused by mixing and matching front to rear calipers

I agree with leesfer. If someone made a bracket for the wilwoods or brembo's I would spend the extra money to get brakes that i know i wont have an issue finding and keep it more organized, incase the car ever left me.

• 1 month later...