whats the BEST method

starquestG54B

helicoil and stress relieve the manifold.

Dad

ok. what is it? stress relieve it or leave it alone? im getting told by indiana and many other members to leave it alone and im getting told to stress relieve it by many other people.

and randy since your out of stock on the "stress relieved" manifolds why dont you just take a couple stock non releived manifolds and relive them?

Ok, then just a helicoil and leave the manifold alone.

If you need a new manifold let me know.. I can stress relieve a new one for you also.

Not sure what you have been told, from what I have read it helps to relieve them. I haven't seen Indiana's thoughts on it. Just makes sense to me to do it, Both My cars and my sons are stress relieved. I could be wrong.. no expert by any means.

Dad

Edited by Dad

Ok, then just a helicoil and leave the manifold alone.

If you need a new manifold let me know.. I can stress relieve a new one for you also.

Not sure what you have been told, from what I have read it helps to relieve them. I haven't seen Indiana's thoughts on it. Just makes sense to me to do it, Both My cars and my sons are stress relieved. I could be wrong.. no expert by any means.

Dad

sorry i wasnt trying to be rude i know your only trying to help im just a little pissed right now

It's Fine, I understand. Helicoils work real well, I just don't care for trying to do the repair on the car. It can be done but would be so much easier in a drill press ( seat and guide machine) with head off. If you do it be sure to tap and drill with oil. Aluminum cuts and taps easier with oil.

Dad

Yeah I gotta do the same thing to my car as soon as I get it back. Especially with the combination of the heavier treadstone manifold and larger turbo there's a lot of extra stress on those studs and 2 or 3 holes have no threads in them.

It's just my thinking, but if you've got the manifold off, and some guys have had luck relieving theirs, I'd go for it. I just cut a blade's width in mine when I had it apart last time, just enough to give each cylinder a little moving room. Might also lay a straight edge on the exhaust side to make sure the runners are all evenly flat.. If not, it should'ne cost much or take long to have a shop shave it a touch. Make sure to use a layered metal manifold gasket. I usually put a film of hi temp silicone on mine. Seems to seal up a bit better.

• 1 month later...

helicoil are ok in my exp but i would rather use a timesert

here is a link to a little demo

http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html

i cant say i have seen a sert pull out or strip and i have been wrenching a long time

im sry i guess i forgot to add the link

my 2 cents

Edited by RobH

Here is the link to Timesert.

http://www.timesert.com/

RobH is right. I have used them in my Old Broad's original OEM head when the rear exhaust manifold studs pulled out. The Timeserts out lasted the head. But you HAVE TO remove the head and take it into a machine shop to have the necessary machining performed. But it's worth every dime.

Also go to 10mm studs and have the exhaust manifold to head stud holes drilled out for the 10 mm studs. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edit - one more thing about the Timeserts, they will not back out of their threaded holes unlike helicoils. And they have greater holding power than the original OEM drilled and tapped stud holes.

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Here is the link to Timesert.

http://www.timesert.com/

RobH is right. I have used them in my Old Broad's original OEM head when the rear exhaust manifold studs pulled out. The Timeserts out lasted the head. But you HAVE TO remove the head and take it into a machine shop to have the necessary machining performed. But it's worth every dime.

Also go to 10mm studs and have the exhaust manifold to head stud holes drilled out for the 10 mm studs. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edit - one more thing about the Timeserts, they will not back out of their threaded holes unlike helicoils. And they have greater holding power than the original OEM drilled and tapped stud holes.

i have the timesert install kit i install theese daily if you have the right kit there is no reason to remove the head to install

the shop i work at the lube techs dont understand they dont need to hang on the oil pan bolts to tighten them and strip them out

i have used theese in heads, oil pans, spark plugs, blocks pretty much everything if you have the right size the douwn fall is is that it requires a full kit for each size and they arnt very cheep

Edited by RobH

i have the timesert install kit i install theese daily if you have the right kit there is no reason to remove the head to install

the shop i work at the lube techs dont understand they dont need to hang on the oil pan bolts to tighten them and strip them out

i have used theese in heads, oil pans, spark plugs, blocks pretty much everything if you have the right size the douwn fall is is that it requires a full kit for each size and they arnt very cheep

Rob, you're right on not having to take the head into a machine shop to have the Timesets installed. However you have to consider the spread of automotive experience & mechanical knowledge that exists in the SQC community today.

I would not recommend that a NOOB install a Timeset or a helicoil by himself with the head on the engine block - especially the 2 rear most exhaust manifold studs which are a PITA to get to with an ordinary drill and tap and get it done correctly - square on to the mating surfaces.

If someone has the proper tools and has done a similar repair successfully before - have at it. :) I'm just thinking of the younger kids that are just starting to get up to speed. The potential to screw up is high - considering the close quarters you have to work in and if you don't have the complete kit for the size of the hole you are trying to rework.

However it is well worth the time, cost and effort to do the job correctly - especially if you intend to keep your Starquest for a long time.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Rob, you're right on not having to take the head into a machine shop to have the Timesets installed. However you have to consider the spread of automotive experience & mechanical knowledge that exists in the SQC community today.

I would not recommend that a NOOB install a Timeset or a helicoil by himself with the head on the engine block - especially the 2 rear most exhaust manifold studs which are a PITA to get to with an ordinary drill and tap and get it done correctly - square on to the mating surfaces.

If someone has the proper tools and has done a similar repair successfully before - have at it. :) I'm just thinking of the younger kids that are just starting to get up to speed. The potential to screw up is high - considering the close quarters you have to work in and if you don't have the complete kit for the size of the hole you are trying to rework.

However it is well worth the time, cost and effort to do the job correctly - especially if you intend to keep your Starquest for a long time.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

totally agreed 100%

I could not agree with this statement more

• 4 weeks later...

I am curious about something? noticed where Starfighterpilot(Ken) suggested going to 10mm studs in place of stock,,Why not go to SAE studs since they are much easier to find?? I am new and there is probably something I don't know so fill me in

David

Edited by holeysocks