The Great Pigeon Forge Convoy REVISED

UlrichWolf

Wrong digital dash homeslice!!

-Robert

Yeah I know.

I'm cool with the route and time but if everyone is gonna cruse at 65mph then I'll probably end up ahead of you. On long trips I like to cruse around 90 as much as I can. 90 instead of 65 will take about 4 hours off the trip time.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know.

I'm cool with the route and time but if everyone is gonna cruse at 65mph then I'll probably end up ahead of you. On long trips I like to cruse around 90 as much as I can. 90 instead of 65 will take about 4 hours off the trip time.

You'll burn more gas and run hotter traveling at that rate. If the speed limit is 65MPH on an interstate highway, I tend to try and drive ~73 MPH. It's a comfortable speed to drive, without catching attention from the police.

You'll burn more gas and run hotter traveling at that rate. If the speed limit is 65MPH on an interstate highway, I tend to try and drive ~73 MPH. It's a comfortable speed to drive, without catching attention from the police.

Actually I've found as long as you aren't wild on the throttle you can cruise in these cars at 80-90mph and still get close to 30mpg. Robert has backed me up on this before. You need a good running engine but it is possible. Last time I went to vegas I got 28mpg while cruising at 80-90 most of the time.

Well looking at the route, if I make the meet, I will catch you guys in Kentucky on US 24 south of Metropolis IL

It's looking like Paducah will be the major waypoint for both convoys to come together.

I suppose when I get some time, I need to map out and plan where we will be and when.

Tim

Haha, 90... it's easier to do that in Cali, set the cruise to 90, or 100. And sit back and relax.

I usually go 10 above the speed limit in other places.

Jeff, what day and time are you planning to be in Denver??

Tim, Wednesday is the 29th of June, is that what you were planning?? Ah, nevermind, I see in your post with the hotel list it's correct.

-Robert

every year anyone going too pf that lives from ky and north of there we all meet outside lousville and then caravan with that being said it if this will be ure first pf and wanna meet up with us northernes no biggie i will be starting a post about it in the nex few months weve hade 3 cars caravan and weve had 12 cars caravan it changes year to year but all is welcome

Haha, 90... it's easier to do that in Cali, set the cruise to 90, or 100. And sit back and relax.

I usually go 10 above the speed limit in other places.

Jeff, what day and time are you planning to be in Denver??

Tim, Wednesday is the 29th of June, is that what you were planning?? Ah, nevermind, I see in your post with the hotel list it's correct.

-Robert

I haven't planned the trip yet. It's still many months away. I got to talk to Roberto but I was thinking of meeting in Denver then straight to tims place to hang out for a day. Then after PF on the way back follow the same route and spend a day in Denver. That gives us something to look forward to both ways on the journey so the way back isn't so boring. But I need to check with Roberto on this.

Was doing some research, and evidently TN patrol likes to pull over for as little as 2 mph over posted speed limit. My rule of thumb is no more than 5mph (ie: 70 in a 65)... I've always gone to the way of caution, but I'll be rocking a radar detector for the trip down. I'm not gonna haul booty, but I'm not gonna granny drive either.. just thought I'd give a heads up and say "be safe guys".. would really want everyone to show up in one piece, and without an extra ding to their bank account.. gas and hotels are gonna be hard enough...

Brett

Fortunately, we will be staying at the Vacation Lodge in Pigeon Forge......NOT the Grand.

Tim

Still, don't piss off the local cops by doing donuts or holeshots in the middle of the street; they don't like that. Ask Taz and Mr. Dodge01, they know what I'm talking about.

And I still blame Burton for egging me on. ;)

Edited by Elkidmino

Was doing some research, and evidently TN patrol likes to pull over for as little as 2 mph over posted speed limit. My rule of thumb is no more than 5mph (ie: 70 in a 65)... I've always gone to the way of caution, but I'll be rocking a radar detector for the trip down. I'm not gonna haul booty, but I'm not gonna granny drive either.. just thought I'd give a heads up and say "be safe guys".. would really want everyone to show up in one piece, and without an extra ding to their bank account.. gas and hotels are gonna be hard enough...

Brett

its not that bad really...

Who's pumped?

I am.

-Justin

P.S. when I was down in Dyer TN at my grandpa's, on our way to our hotel they warned us that the state troopers in TN will pull us over for 5 over. Food for thought :)

Edited by NudeLobster

Brett

On the Interstates you can get away with anything under 10 MPH over the limit. And if the flow of traffic is doing above 10 MPH over the speed limit then TN HP USUALLY leaves ya alone. Use the Rabbit driving technique and you should be safe.

The TN roads and US HWYs that's an entirely different story. They like to change speed limits from 55 to 45 MPH and back to 55 every mile or so. Especially on US 64 around Oakland, Waynesboro and Lawrenceburg. In those areas the local cops are heavier than stink on s... and hiding with radar in off the wall places.

Do not make the mistake of asking to see when their radar unit was last calibrated by looking at the calibration sticker, cuz they said you were doing 51 in a 45 MPH with GA plates!! ;) That question cost me $450. :angry: :( I was doing 47 MPH in a 45 zone, on cruise, when I got nailed for doing 51.

Since then, I have always used I-20 from Atlanta to Birmingham and US 78 (I-22) thru Al & MS to Memphis. Screw those TN back roads with out of state GA plates on my Old Broad; and the local egotistical deputies with sun glasses on, who weigh about 300#, and can barely get out of the front seat of the patrol car, that called me "BOY," when I'm old enough to be his GRANDFATHER. SOB'n TAIL HOLES!!!!!

In TN, I- 40 has a LOT of semi's doing 2 MPH over the speed limit when passing a long string of slower semi's doing the speed limit; and MANY MA & PA Kettles in the fast lane doing 5 - 10 MPH UNDER the speed limit, staying even with another BRANCH of the SLOW Kettle family, with a couple of miles of traffic backed up behind 'em.

However, I have to say that TN is a beautiful state, the people are gracious (except the friggin' cops) and it's worth driving through. JUST WATCH IT AND DO NOT BE IN A HURRY, especially on the local US highways and state roads.

For What It's Worth. ;)

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Ken, I agree totally.

I too have a lot of experience driving through this vast land, and am PROUD to report that I have never been written a ticket outside of my home state, with the exception of Oklahoma, where I received a warning for doing 5 over in Edmond, and was in, of all things, my old Ford Taurus. Nevertheless, that encounter did prove to me that cops actively HUNT and seek out cars with out of state plates, simply because the likelihood of someone fighting that ticket from afar is very slim.

My personal advice?

The one item that is far better than any radar detector came installed on your car from the factory, and it is the cruise control. You may be able to beat the clock a little bit by speeding, but in my travels, after factoring in pee breaks and food stops, and whatever, the difference is negligible at best, and the way I see it, if I gain 15 minutes by speeding, I will lose that advantage by sitting through a half hour traffic stop.

Patience trumps speed. I set my cruise control at the speed limit, and I don't worry about it.

Besides.....when we are traveling together, who wants to speed anyway? Races are nice and fun, but logistically are a bad idea anyway, because we will all get spread out, and someone may be counting on watching where the group goes because they are unsure of the directions, or route, or something.

Just some thoughts.

Tim

Edited by UlrichWolf

Amen! People breaking the pack and taking off could only possibly hurt the whole... let's say someone is in the back of the pack, everyone else zooms off, and that person in the back develops car trouble, with no one noticing that they've fallen way back. The whole idea of a caravan is strength/safety in numbers, and backup if one needs it. Just my 2 cents.. but i'll give a penny for your thoughts.. so someone's making a penny, and it sure as giggity ain't me.. lol

Brett

When I convoyed to Seattle, I was the only one who knew where we were going so I was in the lead... had a steady pace of 5 to 10 over the limit, about 75. Then after a few hours, for some reason, we were doing 120+ LOL. High speed convoy. When I met up with the Vegas people we had a nice convoy of at least 10(I was too happy to count) SQ's... eventually I made it to the front of the pack, and we were doing a nice 85... then next thing I know we're doing 120+... but this time it was just me and Scotty, leaving everyone else LOL.

So... uh... yeah, I go a speed that is reasonable and prudent.

I don't mind following others, but they need to be able to keep a constant speed!! Following someone that speeds up and slows down is REALLY annoying because I can't set my cruise control. Even without cruise control, my throttle control is steady as a rock. It's very frustrating to follow behind someone that will speed up a few MPH every 30 seconds or so, and then slow back down... over... and over... for hours.

-Robert

Amen! People breaking the pack and taking off could only possibly hurt the whole... let's say someone is in the back of the pack, everyone else zooms off, and that person in the back develops car trouble, with no one noticing that they've fallen way back. The whole idea of a caravan is strength/safety in numbers, and backup if one needs it. Just my 2 cents.. but i'll give a penny for your thoughts.. so someone's making a penny, and it sure as giggity ain't me.. lol

Brett

This is what cell phones are for dawg.

-Robert