Carbon fiber / Fiberglass specialty parts

StallionProject86

Well, I don't want to be a party-pooper, but this is the word I got back from one of the Mods at Galant Center regarding Hi-Rev:

I would stay away from any company even remotely involved with hi-rev...

They ended blaming each other and from what I can tell they where the same company... The issue was never resolved and their customers where ripped off...

I would proceed with extreme caution and keep a real close eye on those folks. You may even want to see what they have to say about the whole Galant thing.

GTFabrications has made a solid name for itself in the DSM community. I have only heard GOOD things about them.

Keep in mind that right now everyone in the DSM world is hounding them to make more products for the DSM...namely the 2G high-rise spoiler. These guys make some super high quality CF parts and everyone loves them. I would definitely want them to make our parts, but I can almost tell you that the doors are out of the question - there just won't be enough demand to develop them.

I would put money down right now for the following:

-Front Air Dam

-REAR DIFFUSER

-Spoiler

-B-Pillars

All in Carbon Fiber, of course.

GTFabrications has made a solid name for itself in the DSM community. I have only heard GOOD things about them.

Keep in mind that right now everyone in the DSM world is hounding them to make more products for the DSM...namely the 2G high-rise spoiler. These guys make some super high quality CF parts and everyone loves them. I would definitely want them to make our parts, but I can almost tell you that the doors are out of the question - there just won't be enough demand to develop them.

I would put money down right now for the following:

-Front Air Dam

-REAR DIFFUSER

-Spoiler

-B-Pillars

All in Carbon Fiber, of course.

Would love to get a diffuser made but like in a previous post it would have to be a functional piece as well as alluring. .I'm sure it wouldn't take to much experimenting but at the moment I can't really invest much time into that project but it is in my future plans. I'll add you to the interested list now.

Any word back from these guys?

I'm also in it for CF fenders, though I think we won't get the demand for those, either.

Nothing yet, I haven't been able to drive for awhile. My alternator went out and I haven't got the new in yet. I want to go down to his shop that way he can see the amount of materials needed for each part and hopefully give me an estimate on pricing. Thanks for your patients everyone.

And plus one on the fenders I would love to have a set but it'll be awhile before we get the demand.

my neighbor does body work, i watched him make a cf speaker box. wonder if he could do our fenders :unsure:

That would be great man. Let us know when you get around to asking well if you do.

Edited by StallionProject86

• 3 weeks later...
Update* Well this isn't truly an update but it's long over due. I've come to the conclusion that GTF has drawn the line at there not being enough interest in getting our parts made. .it saddens me some that I've failed at this attempt hopefully none of you got your hopes up to high. Although I'm not giving up! This thread will stay active and I will continue to look for new vendors. I will get our parts made just not sure when. Thanks for everyone who has participated in this. I hope I'm not looked down on or anything like that. :unsure: Edited by StallionProject86

Nobody who's been here for a while will be disappointed in you. I've seen probably a dozen threads just like this and they rarely happen in the end. I've made posts myself trying to see what the interest in stuff would be, and there either wasn't enough interest or there wouldn't be enough money in it for me to break even, let alone make any profit, so none of them happened.

I'm glad the hood molds I have and the other stuff I make didn't cost me much money, because they spend most of the time sitting collecting dust because people expect to pay mass produced aftermarket part price on something that's often a custom fabricated, low production, somewhat rare part for a very obscure car.

It may not have worked out, and these things may never work out, but kudos to you and others who at least try.

Ugh. I really wish we could get the hood made at least. The vendor on ebay wants way too much for his.

I got "that vendor's" hood when he did the Group Buy right here, it's an excellent part that would sell for double for most other cars.

• 2 weeks later...

*Update**

The parts thread is revived! I found us another manufacture. He's looking for ten buyers. Pricing will be in the proximity of $320-350 + shipping (hoods). If it's alright with everyone here he would also like to start off with hoods and b-pillars so I'm taking down the original "candidates" list and starting a new one. Let's try this again. ;)

I still would like B-post vents and spoiler set if this gets that far. I can also still send you the stock wb style b-post vents for molding purposes, under the same conditions we talked about before. I still want them in CF. cheers,

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

*Update**

The parts thread is revived! I found us another manufacture. He's looking for ten buyers. Pricing will be in the proximity of $320-350 + shipping (hoods). If it's alright with everyone here he would also like to start off with hoods and b-pillars so I'm taking down the original "candidates" list and starting a new one. Let's try this again. ;)

Why do they want to start making parts that people already offer, yet don't sell well?

They'll get dozens of people showing interest, then when it comes down to people puting money down, they'll be lucky to get 5 people- Even at that price.

My hoods are usually around $420 and I've only made 3, and one of those was a give-away. I had dozens of people who want them until I actually have the molds and actually offer them, then they find out they're not $200 and I never hear from them again.

Getting vendors for these cars is hard enough, and there's so few cars, it doesn't make much sense to have a bunch of vendors that all sell the same stuff. Sure, our hoods will be super cheap, but what about all the other parts that aren't being made that people want?

I hate to be critical, but this is just my 2.6 cents as a vendor. That being said, I'm not saying that for fear of competition. Even at my prices, I'm lucky to make $5/hr to make them, so I'm perfectly happy letting someone else make all the hoods, then I can just make them for my own cars when I really need one, and can spend the rest of my time making $20/hr on stuff people can't get enough of.

I absolutely agree with you Burton, but thats what people still keep chatterin about, CF hoods, for cheap. I just hope to get someone to make what I am lookin for some day.

BC_99

What are you looking for man? He's game to make whatever we want. Instead of hoods I want him to work on maybe header panels and the b-pillars. I just need to e-mail him and request it. I remember you saying you have b-billars that you would offer up for castings to get made from are you still game. ? This guy is up in San Diego so he isn't local like the gtf shop but he's asking me to send detailed information on the parts we want so he can get to work. But it would be in the best interest to actually send something to get casts made from. He told me that he has a buddy with a Starion but I'm not sure what year or if his friend would be willing to allow him to make casts I can find out though.

Why do they want to start making parts that people already offer, yet don't sell well?

They'll get dozens of people showing interest, then when it comes down to people puting money down, they'll be lucky to get 5 people- Even at that price.

My hoods are usually around $420 and I've only made 3, and one of those was a give-away. I had dozens of people who want them until I actually have the molds and actually offer them, then they find out they're not $200 and I never hear from them again.

Getting vendors for these cars is hard enough, and there's so few cars, it doesn't make much sense to have a bunch of vendors that all sell the same stuff. Sure, our hoods will be super cheap, but what about all the other parts that aren't being made that people want?

I hate to be critical, but this is just my 2.6 cents as a vendor. That being said, I'm not saying that for fear of competition. Even at my prices, I'm lucky to make $5/hr to make them, so I'm perfectly happy letting someone else make all the hoods, then I can just make them for my own cars when I really need one, and can spend the rest of my time making $20/hr on stuff people can't get enough of.

Well I'm actually veering away from hoods he just suggested those. Sorry for not explaining that in the little update. There's not enough want for them, the last list explained that clear as day. Air dams were number one, then I believe it was the b pillars and in third place was header panels.

What are you looking for man? He's game to make whatever we want. Instead of hoods I want him to work on maybe header panels and the b-pillars. I just need to e-mail him and request it. I remember you saying you have b-billars that you would offer up for castings to get made from are you still game. ? This guy is up in San Diego so he isn't local like the gtf shop but he's asking me to send detailed information on the parts we want so he can get to work. But it would be in the best interest to actually send something to get casts made from. He told me that he has a buddy with a Starion but I'm not sure what year or if his friend would be willing to allow him to make casts I can find out though.

6 posts up from this one. ;)

BC_99

edit: I agree that if they can make an oem type airdam in oem type flexible urethane material, it will be their best seller to this communtiy. I see at least 3-4 new posts per month looking for these. Im sure they would sell some header panels and maybe a hood or 2. But like Burton said, he makes a cowl induction hood, MK1 makes Cf and Fg 83 style hoods. So, the options are already out there for folks that want those, I know some folks have said they want fenders, ect... but really, in this community, who is gonna drop close to a grand on fenders. I honsetly dont see them selling for less than that. So, your vendor is gonna be better off starting with a high demand item, (airdams) or something smaller and less expensive (b-posts, spoilers, header panels) and get their work out there for the community to see and get hyped about. I also see a possible market for a composite oem style mudflap. The origionals are pretty rare and sell for a pretty pennie when they are put up for sell. Just my thoughts.

Edited by BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

Update*

door sills are going to be made for 130.00 dollars for a set, to the first 10 buyers. Then will go up to 180. Hopefully I'm able to put away the cash and buy a pair soon. Will be posting pix.

edit: Ours will be similar to these: (his 1st gen sills)

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7641/dsc02789w.jpg