Looking for fellow AUSTIN Starquesters

starhunter

I gotta be honest, although the '86 I got last year is my second '86 widebody and fourth starquest overall, I'm rusty. After throwing a decent chunk of change into my '88 sometime around the *DM rise and fall I started slipping into cycling events on the weekends instead of illegal street drags and trips to the 1/4 mile. Years later I get the itch, find the new blood, and end up with another starion.

I've forgotten the gremlins, the tell-tale signs, the 8,000 relay locations. It comes back to me in waves. I've posted but the answers really didnt follow the issue. So I'm looking for a local questor that has an hour to lend a hand without getting dirty. I'm not obligating you to hang out every weekend cause we own two of the three stars in town. Just a few words with a little more recent experience.

I was thinking $50 to $75 to stand around and kick the tires while it warms up, take it for a spin to see if it dies on us (fuel issue) and call my girl to pick us up. This could take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours. Hands free, no strings. Good price? If you prefer bartering I can offer beer, baked goods, and bike repair.

This could happen today if you give me a heads up.

Edited by starhunter

If someone isn't familiar with the 86 fuel system, they're most likely gonna say to "upgrade" to an 87-89 system.

I see your old post concerning a fuel pump, was that ever resolved?? Have you tried posting a new topic in the virtual mechanic section if you have other issues??

-Robert

I think I threw everyone off with the MPI mention but the pump is still the main issue I'm sure. I drove it a few more times after the posting but same thing: starts easy, drives fine till the rpms begin to fall on their own, loud whine/hum from the hatch area, and it dies where it sits for about 40 minutes, repeat.

The other issue may be a TB rebuild. It stumbles in rush hour traffic while sitting. I think the stop and go bursts are flooding the TB, leading to the stumble, overheating, strong gas odor.

I remember the slippery slope of buying every damn thing for these cars until you fix the part thats directly under your nose the whole time. I cant afford that again.

Edited by starhunter

Definitely try a TPS/ISC reset, here's the correct procedure for an 86:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27979

It's free, haha.

Have you checked the fuel pressure when the car starts to die??

When someone comes to help you out, make sure they bring a spare knock box to try swapping in after the car dies.

-Robert

Do our pumps have a filter in tank? The fact that it starts runs then dies says filter clog to me. Have you changed the filter in the engine bay? Perhaps a clog in an in tank filter is starving the pump and causing the noise it's making?

The negative power coupling has been polarised. You will needs some hydrospanners. Unfortunately, I don't own any.

i tend to some what agree , it's a lost cause,, as has all the time on this site,

it's a perfict example of failure , failure to listen , to read , to learn, to apply ones self

the fuel pump has only ONE job and thats to pump fuel , the pressure it pumps at is not it's respomsibility,, at the end of this 40 minutes or what ever is the fuel pump still runing ,,simple question , yes or no ,, the answer to that tells you where to go next .........................

the fuel pump has only ONE job and thats to pump fuel , the pressure it pumps at is not it's respomsibility,, at the end of this 40 minutes or what ever is the fuel pump still runing ,,simple question , yes or no ,, the answer to that tells you where to go next .........................

The hyperdrive motivator? :P

Slow down Shelb, I'm not one of the grandkids. Its a Star Wars reference. I did come across the reset last night while trolling. Not gonna do it in the rain today but I've got a partner planned for tomorrow.

I dont want to turn this into a VM thread so thanks alot for a couple good answers, real quick. When I see parts cars go up with an issue so close to getting fixed I think it takes a few quick snaps like that in the VM section and its another car on the road. I'm sure that happens more often than we know.

Thanks alot guys, I'll send you some cookies from the bakery, no joke.

Slow down Shelb, I'm not one of the grandkids. Its a Star Wars reference. I did come across the reset last night while trolling. Not gonna do it in the rain today but I've got a partner planned for tomorrow.

I dont want to turn this into a VM thread so thanks alot for a couple good answers, real quick. When I see parts cars go up with an issue so close to getting fixed I think it takes a few quick snaps like that in the VM section and its another car on the road. I'm sure that happens more often than we know.

I didnt think we had anymore Austin guys anymore after SheDevil and Conquest351 moved on and one other moved away.

Good price? If you prefer bartering I can offer beer, baked goods, and bike repair.

Mmmm baked goods... Wait who's baked? Me, the goods, or the one sending them? Srsly though, I had a Mercury Marquis Brougham a while back and it did the SAME thing. Start right up run smooth for about 5 minutes then BAM dead as can be and refused to start. Come back the next day same thing. Start long enough to move it to a different parking spot (friend dropped it off in a parking lot and left it) and die again. I thought it was the distributor or something but I was young and dumb and looking back I'm 100% certain I simply had a clogged fuel filter. If you haven't done so already, change the fuel filter under the hood see if it helps otherwise it's the filter before the pump clogging. Either way you are putting more stress and strain on the fuel pump than it's olld @** needs and you'll eventually cause a failure. If it comes down to the one in the tank, bite the bullet and replace the pump altogether. Why drop the tank twice when you can fix it all in 1 shot and never have to worry about it (at least not for another 20 years)?

Ive seen a red star around south east austin and a white quest in the oak hill area. I think I bought a beat up '83 hood off 351 a long time ago. I guess my original problem was blindly accepting what the seller listed as new replacements. I know the underhood filter was mentioned but who knows. He didnt say sh** about the other gremlins that popped up once I got into some bumper to bumper driving situations.

Ive seen a red star around south east austin and a white quest in the oak hill area. I think I bought a beat up '83 hood off 351 a long time ago. I guess my original problem was blindly accepting what the seller listed as new replacements. I know the underhood filter was mentioned but who knows. He didnt say sh** about the other gremlins that popped up once I got into some bumper to bumper driving situations.

You can replace the underhood filter all day long, but if the filters in the tank and at the pump are getting clogged, your good filter under hood won't help.

I wish I knew more mechanically, otherwise I'd come by and help ya look it over, as I'm only about an hour from Austin.

what does "i'm not one of the grandkids mean" ?

you seem to be confuse'd you ask a VM question then say your not looking for an answer,

sorry but the tps reset has nothing to do with your stalling and not runing after 40 minutes

So I'm looking for a local questor that has an hour to lend a hand without getting dirty.

I was thinking $50 to $75 to stand around and kick the tires If you prefer bartering I can offer beer, baked goods, and bike repair.

Go back to Cycling.There is all kinds of information for you to accomplish troubleshooting yourself. Sounds to me like your not really serious about "Getting back into Starquests".If you have to depend on others to get your car running correctly.....Maybe this is not the car for you ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

There was a red one off of Manchaca road and I saw a white one blow by on Dittmar. I bought an engine from a guy in Dripping Springs who dropped a Grand National engine in his red one. I have seen them around town but I didnt know we really had any regular Austinites on this board aside from myself.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in Austin but haven't driven my Quest in years (long story). I'm currently collecting the parts to swap the motor in my 89 Fiji to a 4g63/4g64. I've had six Starions so far.

The easiest way to test your fuel problem is to :

1. get a couple feet of clear plastic/rubber hose that will fit snug over the end of the fuel line nipple that connects to the throttle body

2. get a friend to help

3. get a 5 gallon gas can

4. run it till it stalls

5. pull the hose from the throttle body

6. put the hose on the end of the fuel line plate

7. put the other end in the gas can

8. have the friend turn the ignition to start but not crank

If the fuel comes out of the hose and fills the can then the problem isn't with the tank or pump.

If there is no fuel flow then either the pump is overheating and locking up or the intank filter is clogged.