Top Gear USA

apedog

Man, haters. It's no British Top Gear, and I wish Tanner Foust would just stick with racing because his TV presence is junk, but let's see what other US car shows we have to compare it to..

My Classic Car- lame

Gearz- kinda cool but a horrible time slot

Car Crazy- lame

Autoweek- been on for decades and still nobody watches it

Sure we had good shows a few years back like American Hot Rod, Overhaulin, and Rides, but they've all been canceled and left us with what?

It's never gonna be the British version, and anyone who thought it would be as good or better than the British version is dreaming. If there was any way USTG would be close to BTG, it wouldn't have taken them almost 3 years to actually find a channel to carry it and get it into production.

I started watching it with skepticism because I knew it would never be as good, but hoped it wouldn't be real bad. The more I watch it, the more I like it. In fact, if they replaced Tanner foust with someone really good like Jay leno or Chip Foose, I might even like it USTG more than BTG.

I still think it's by far the best US car show on the air.

My biggest fear is that a lot of people will complain about it because it's not as good as the British version, and then they will cancel it, and then we'll have nothing but the British version. I'd rather see more people just glad we have another good US car show on the air, than mad because it's not as good as the British version.

Edited by Burton

I like it. Its definitely grown on me. One thing I think they need to do is kinda go off on their own. The way they copy the british version isn't right. Plus they make it look and sound terrible.

I came into this show knowing it wasn't going to be nearly as good as the British version of TopGear. And nothing can be because James, Richard and Jeremy ARE TopGear.

I like it. Its definitely grown on me. One thing I think they need to do is kinda go off on their own. The way they copy the british version isn't right. Plus they make it look and sound terrible.

Agreed. One thing I did notice, is that the videography between the first episode and last night's episode has gotten better. I wonder if maybe since it's a new show, it might take a few episodes for everyone to kinda figure everything out and get a lot better. I also hate how they copy the British show, but I wonder if they are just doing that to follow what has been tried and true on BTG. Maybe start off doing all the stuff that was a big hit on the British show and then kinda start doing their own thing more after they get in the swing of things?

I hope so. And I hope all the haters don't get it pulled after 1 season because it's not as good as BTG. It's still better than most of the car shows we have which are pretty much garbage.

It definately seems to get better as it goes on. I believe it will continue to grow and evolve its own unique style/ humor.

p.s. Their test of the evo x on that ski slope was AWESOME.

Agreed. Teaching the blind man to drift was pretty good too, I thought.

I would enjoy it if it weren't quite as fake as it is.

The skiers just happened to come out on the road the exact time he was there.

They just happened to jump the road at the exact time he was driving by.

You know damn well that those cars weren't filled with booze, why pretend?

Scene after scene there was something that was set up and it completely ruined the show for me.

Why don't they just say that the mountain road was closed off for them to shoot it?

Why didn't they admit that a lot more work was done to that T-Bird than poking a hole in the thermostat and then scooping up muddy water from a puddle?

I guess I’m easily entertained, I knew it wouldn’t be the BTG but didn’t expect it be… and I will watch pretty much watch anything if it includes cars lol, add some humor and break things and I will subscribe! Like most of you though I think it’s getting better and if they can come up with some things to make it more original that all the better.

It’s sad but I look forward to watching all of the Saturday morning car shows.. re runs and all because there just isn’t anything else for us car enthusiasts during the week. And did I mention im easily entertained :lol:

I would enjoy it if it weren't quite as fake as it is.

The skiers just happened to come out on the road the exact time he was there.

They just happened to jump the road at the exact time he was driving by.

You know damn well that those cars weren't filled with booze, why pretend?

Scene after scene there was something that was set up and it completely ruined the show for me.

Why don't they just say that the mountain road was closed off for them to shoot it?

Why didn't they admit that a lot more work was done to that T-Bird than poking a hole in the thermostat and then scooping up muddy water from a puddle?

Sadly, the same thing happens on BTG too....

like when it was the evo VS bobsled, they passed each other at the same time midway

when it was car VS bikes, the bikes happened to be at the right place and time to jump over the car.

when they guys were driving tractor trailers Richard really didn't know the car would fall out of the trailer

when James flew the balloon/camper thru the airport airspace, there's no way that was an accident and not set up. He probably would have been arrested if it was real

oh, and the episode where they slept in their cars at the base of a huge dam on a dead end road, and acted all suprised in the morning when they woke up and saw the dam.

The list goes on and on. Neither show is true reality. USTG is just doing what made BTG the best rated show in the UK, right down to some of the exact same challenges.

Sadly, the same thing happens on BTG too....

like when it was the evo VS bobsled, they passed each other at the same time midway

when it was car VS bikes, the bikes happened to be at the right place and time to jump over the car.

when they guys were driving tractor trailers Richard really didn't know the car would fall out of the trailer

when James flew the balloon/camper thru the airport airspace, there's no way that was an accident and not set up. He probably would have been arrested if it was real

oh, and the episode where they slept in their cars at the base of a huge dam on a dead end road, and acted all suprised in the morning when they woke up and saw the dam.

The list goes on and on. Neither show is true reality. USTG is just doing what made BTG the best rated show in the UK, right down to some of the exact same challenges.

Yup, and so far, I'm agreeing about the show growing on you.

They guys do have a good report, and that's what they need to finish working on to make the show as fun to watch as BTG.

Also, why the hate on Tanner Foust? I just keep seeing Marty Mcfly in every car he drives. :D

I'm waiting for them to drive a Delorean(you know, just cause they can), and I"m going to DVR the episode and keep it.

Also, why the hate on Tanner Foust? I just keep seeing Marty Mcfly in every car he drives. :D

No hate really, I just think the guy has a horrible TV presence. He's a great driver and knows a lot about cars, but without a good TV presence, all the stuff he does comes off as flat to me. I'm sure there's plenty of car guys out there that are as knowledgeable and have a better TV presence they could have used.

The chemistry among the US presenters is no where near as good as the UK version and I think that is what makes the show. You can have good content but if the presentation is bad, then the show will not come off as good. I am not sure if it was that good of an idea to copy exact as far as stage (their coffee table is better) and "Stig" but at least it maintains some continuity. I do like the map of the course as the Stig takes the cars around the track. Personally I don't like when US tries to bring UK shows over. I can't stand our version of The Office. USTG is still in its infancy and will hopefully develop into a good show.

Mud puddle trick at it's best,,sorry Brian had to do it

this is straight from the mud puddle Into 2liter mountain dew bottle to the radiator

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/conquest232/7579043d.jpg

Edited by quikconq

Mud puddle trick at it's best,,sorry Brian had to do it

this is straight from the mud puddle Into 2liter mountain dew bottle to the radiator

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/conquest232/7579043d.jpg

NO WAY hahahahaha