Installed an aftermarket heated o2 sensor

Jehu

I've gotten an nice aftermarket heated O2 sensor but it is supposed to screw in unlike the stock O2 setup. Any ideas on how to install it aside from welding in a bung? What would be the best install location...that first bend downwards?

even most stock 02 sensor's are threaded like that. Most any newer car has a threaded 02 sensor like that. They use the same threads as spark plugs. I welded a bung for mine. I have straight open pipes, but it's mounted right before where the main catalytic converter would be, or in other words a few inches after the flange that is before the main cat on that pipe.

hope this helps :)

-Justin

If I'm correct you can buy a plate that bolts on to where the stock one goes and the new O2 will screw into that. I think I have seen them in Toyota replacement O2 boxes

even if so, it's a heated 02 sensor, and I imagine its for a wideband rather than ECU use. Heated 02 sensors would die a heated death so close to the turbo. A heated 02 sensor should be 30 inches down from the turbo, which puts it right after the DP to cat pipe flange. anything closer runs the risk of a premature wear out of the sensor, and anything even close to stock 02 sensor placement would lead to a very fast wear out.

even if so, it's a heated 02 sensor, and I imagine its for a wideband rather than ECU use. Heated 02 sensors would die a heated death so close to the turbo. A heated 02 sensor should be 30 inches down from the turbo, which puts it right after the DP to cat pipe flange. anything closer runs the risk of a premature wear out of the sensor, and anything even close to stock 02 sensor placement would lead to a very fast wear out.

No. You are confusing a narrowband heated o2 with a wideband o2. All wideband sensors are temperature controlled for accuracy and sensor life, thus the controller required for them.

Any narrowband should be placed in the stock location, heated or unheated.

-Robert

Any narrowband should be placed in the stock location, heated or unheated.

-Robert

;) Robert is correct. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Before some of you give advice....Please do your homework first.No reply is better than the wrong one.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

is the secondary air cleaner delete hole in the downpipe a suitable location for an EGT?

The probe will use an insulator so its not in physical contact with the exhaust pipe in any way. You can put it there just make sure it goes down in far enough so that the tip reaches the center of the flow. It may have a mounting bracket with it or just a large hose clamp and that's not an ideal place to use a hose clamp to mount one but the pre cat is way to big to put one there and after the pre cat is just too far away.