putting 350 chevy engine in 87 quest. could use advice please.

trichard76

I am putting a 350 chevy engine in my 87 conquest. does anyone have any pictures or advice on dropping this motor in this car? I am putting probably a 350 turbo transmission with it. does anyone have advice on motor mounts and the placing of the mounts? and also about cutting the fire wall back for the transmission? I would really appreciate the advice and help. thank yous in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just use a Motor plate in the front of the engine it is the easiest! 87 monte headers headman I believe minimal work to be done on them. as for steering swap spindles put rack out of mustang in front of crossmember wich will be removed in middle and fitted with a piece of 1 5/8 dom tubing. massage tranny tunnel for 350 turbo cut out floor for modulator valve and governor cover. rewire whle car with a painless wireing kit for a mid 80 GM car and use steering column out of it. Short Gm water pump low mount drivers side alternator ..... I could just keep going on and on.. Oh and a set of 245/50/16 nitto 555drag radials you will need them

I would cut the firewall and move the motor back. It is just too much sprung weight hanging over the front wheels. If you plan on cutting corners cut the firewall. You will need to widen your tranny hump to clear a th350 and move the throttle peddle over. The tricky part is the distributor; get an MSD or somthing similar in size because an HEI is just too big. Craigslist may have some cheap 16-gauge headers. Cut out the bend and make them work. The stock front springs will handle the motor weight. If you plan on using tall valve covers you will have to move the motor off center to clear the break booster. An oil pan from a chevy 2 rear sump will clear the steering.

I would do this swap again without a second thought. It was cheap and a lot of fun.

I would cut the firewall and move the motor back. It is just too much sprung weight hanging over the front wheels. If you plan on cutting corners cut the firewall. You will need to widen your tranny hump to clear a th350 and move the throttle peddle over. The tricky part is the distributor; get an MSD or somthing similar in size because an HEI is just too big. Craigslist may have some cheap 16-gauge headers. Cut out the bend and make them work. The stock front springs will handle the motor weight. If you plan on using tall valve covers you will have to move the motor off center to clear the break booster. An oil pan from a chevy 2 rear sump will clear the steering.

I would do this swap again without a second thought. It was cheap and a lot of fun.

good advise

• 1 month later...
Guest Kenmarrow
You do not have to cut anything except some work on Xmember, to put a SBC with a th350 tranny in there... and the engine sets in there just fine. You just have to work it out.. But if you want the eazy way out CUT IT UP.

personally I think my 5 speed front sump pan WAS the easy way out.

I did not want to cut my fiji up so I wanted to steer clear of the firewall, absolutely no cutting on the firewall or trans tunnel and it was a 5 speed car. I cut the front of the crossmember of course but thats it!

As stated above......cutting into the firewall is much better in many ways, and it is not the easier way!!!

I have done both and as long as i have a black car (easy to paint under the hood) or a quest that someone was going to scrap!

Then I will cut into the firewall for many reasons, shorter the drive shaft more power....less rotating mass. weight behind the front wheels not out to the nose of the car. Radiator clearance, turbo clearance, helll maybe even a compartment to open and grap the distributor and give it a twist for some retard if I want...lol....jk