Best method to fix a stripped exhaust stud

scooterh72

I have a stripped stud on the exhaust side. The cylinder head is stripped. I thought I had it fixed but I have an exhaust leak and this is where it is coming from. Stud is closest to the firewall on the bottom of the manifold.

Should a guy re-thread larger or can you use something like JB weld to fix it?

Would like to know what you guys have done.

Thanks.

Scott

same thing happed to me except 2 of mine were striped, go to your local advaced and get a full 3/8 fine thread helicoil set should come with a tap and a handle for tap with heilcoil installer on the other side, you dont have to drill just tap it out make sure you do it straight to, it took me about an hour to do everything and start it up, the helicoil shouldnt strip out they work pretty well

More than likely the manifold will have to be removed and planed flat then you can put in a heli-coil the same size if it's not to stripped out or do like i did and go one size bigger with the stud, that's really the only way to fix it and have it last any time at all.

JB weld won't hold up. A heli-coil or a bigger stud would be best. Check the flatness of manifold's mating surface...may need to be resurfaced

My manifold is stress relieved so would this matter?

Should a guy remove the manifold or can this be done with it still on the car?

Thanks again.

More than likely the manifold will have to be removed and planed flat then you can put in a heli-coil the same size if it's not to stripped out or do like i did and go one size bigger with the stud, that's really the only way to fix it and have it last any time at all.

i did mine with the same size stud and have been running 12lbs for a month daily driving i just put a new stress releived mani on yesterday and all the nuts were tight and the studs didnt back out or strip

i did mine with the same size stud and have been running 12lbs for a month daily driving i just put a new stress releived mani on yesterday and all the nuts were tight and the studs didnt back out or strip

Im a service writer at the local dodge dealer here in town. Have access to helicoils and lifts if needed. Will certainly do this the right way.

In addition to pulling the exhaust manifold & flattening it's head mating surface, I would drill out the manifold stud holes one size larger.

The Napa part number for the correct helicoil kit is 770-3039 for a M8 x1.25 sized fastener; the drill bit size is 21/64" which is included in this kit.

Also see http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=924&sid=07b5bd281b00ffa4180aa7694e73e359 for further info.

For What It's Worth.

KEN