20g vs 60-1

TopDawg_43

My TD06h-20g has dead again. I was going to just get a new center section, as appose to rebuilding again.

But I was on ebay and found THIS. It's a center section with a 60-1 wheel. My question is, can I get this and have my housing machined to fit? And what would the difference in performance?

Should bolt up just make sure the wheels on the e bay spin the same as yours.The other thing would be look and find wheel specs cause that 60-1 is bigger and just cause you could bore your 20g you might thin out the housing witch can be bad just my 2 cents

This is probably the housing for it. Best to ask to be sure. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Compressor-Housing-3-TD06-Garrett-60-1-wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230b2f36a6QQitemZ150511498918QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought my td05h turbine and rebuild kit from these people. So far so good.

What boost were you running the old turbo at? And what hp level. What are you looking for from a new turbo. A goggle search brout up some good links. Sounds like the 60-1 compressor will flow more air, but likes lower pressure.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSHB_en___US202&q=20g+vs+60-1

This is probably the housing for it. Best to ask to be sure. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Compressor-Housing-3-TD06-Garrett-60-1-wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230b2f36a6QQitemZ150511498918QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought my td05h turbine and rebuild kit from these people. So far so good.

What boost were you running the old turbo at? And what hp level. What are you looking for from a new turbo. A goggle search brout up some good links. Sounds like the 60-1 compressor will flow more air, but likes lower pressure.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSHB_en___US202&q=20g+vs+60-1

That might be the right housing, but there's no where to bolt up the WG actuator on it, aaaggghhhhh.

I ran the 20g around 20 psi. I'm just trying to maintain 300+ rwhp, the rest does not matter to me.

Don't you think it would be better to go with a hotside that flows better than a TD05?...like a T3. The td05 exhaust housing and internal wastegate can only flow so much...just my opinion. Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

Don't you think it would be better to go with a hotside that flows better than a TD05?...like a T3. The td05 exhaust housing and internal wastegate can only flow so much...just my opinion.

Yeah, I completely agree.......That's why I am running a TD06h hot-side.

How long is your 20g lasting? How many times replacing it? Is it possible you have an oil supply or return issue? Also what brand turbo is the 20g?

My setup with a TD05-20g made full boost at 2900 rpm @18psi. My TD06H doesn't hit 19psi until 4200 rpm, although is because of the turbine housing, I'm using the 10cm2. You must be using the 7 or 8cm2 housing right?

How long is your 20g lasting? How many times replacing it? Is it possible you have an oil supply or return issue? Also what brand turbo is the 20g?

My setup with a TD05-20g made full boost at 2900 rpm @18psi. My TD06H doesn't hit 19psi until 4200 rpm, although is because of the turbine housing, I'm using the 10cm2. You must be using the 7 or 8cm2 housing right?

which one gave you the best 1/4 time, td05 ot td06?

which one gave you the best 1/4 time, td05 ot td06?

The TD05 was awesome on the street and it got me low 12's on the track. The TD06H a completely different turbo, its a 1000rpm slower to come into boost but once it does it destroys the TD05 and I'm only running on self tuning right now. I dont plan on tracking it until I get it dyno tuned (maybe next month?). Most of my setup is the same except the turbo and header and it takes 20-25% more fuel at the same boost level (18psi) as the TD05. So you can see how much more CFM it flows at the same boost, also why it takes longer to spool. For 300+whp and the sake of fun and driveability i'd say go with a TD05 or a TD06 in a 7cm2 housing if you can find it. The TD06H in an 8cm2 will be slower to spool and the 10cm2 a lot slower.

Neil

Edited by BMWTech

My TD06h-20g has dead again. I was going to just get a new center section, as appose to rebuilding again.

But I was on ebay and found THIS. It's a center section with a 60-1 wheel. My question is, can I get this and have my housing machined to fit? And what would the difference in performance?

The hotside trim on that center section will be about .75 when you do the calculation. Something that size would probably have a lot of lag.

4200rpm is alot of lag. Im curious if that hotside will really make the money in the end.

I run a T4 hotside and hit fullboost by 3800rpm.

Notstock88 runs a 63AR T3 and is seeing 18psi by 3000rpm.

But these are both ballbearing.

4200rpm is alot of lag. Im curious if that hotside will really make the money in the end.

I run a T4 hotside and hit fullboost by 3800rpm.

Notstock88 runs a 63AR T3 and is seeing 18psi by 3000rpm.

But these are both ballbearing.

I did have a Typhoon 17c TD06 (T3 9cm2 turbine housing) before i installed the ball bearing turbo and i was seeing full boost (17psi) by 3200 rpm - my set up then was just a fuel pump, BCFPR, 1g mas, CHADS tubular header and 3" exhaust.

Ive been running a td-06 20g with a 5 hot side for like 5 years. Before that, I ran the same cartridge with a Garrett compressor wheel and a Mits. housing cut for it. The wheel is a little smaller than the 20g wheel, so to this day, I still don't know what trim it is. But with the HR70 cam and other stuff they both spool pretty quick. I spent the past weekend doing some tuning with the 2nd gen Maf-T. I think I got a little too aggressive with the tune last night and popped my headgasket for the first time ever. I fixed it today, so I'll be taking it back to the dyno in the next couple weeks and I'll try to post some #'s with the 20g. It was moving like a scalded dog though right up til it popped. Hehe.

I have a 14cm^2 from my 20g brand new, as I switched it to an 8cm^2 from FP. if anyone is interested s/b cheap lmk

The engine blew in my car last month and its currently being rebuilt, full out (well kind of - bottom end stuff), so the new 20gtdo6h 8cm^2, chad's equal length header, rebuilt M7 head is going on finally and ARP L19 head studs. I had this stuff new in my garage for 3 years lol.. As I'm upset the engine finally gave in, I'm getting excited about the new stuff going on. Keep you posted too.

I hope the 20g will perform well, still going to be TBI and only looking to run 275-300 hp if all is safe.

• 1 month later...

The TD05 was awesome on the street and it got me low 12's on the track. The TD06H a completely different turbo, its a 1000rpm slower to come into boost but once it does it destroys the TD05 and I'm only running on self tuning right now. I dont plan on tracking it until I get it dyno tuned (maybe next month?). Most of my setup is the same except the turbo and header and it takes 20-25% more fuel at the same boost level (18psi) as the TD05. So you can see how much more CFM it flows at the same boost, also why it takes longer to spool. For 300+whp and the sake of fun and driveability i'd say go with a TD05 or a TD06 in a 7cm2 housing if you can find it. The TD06H in an 8cm2 will be slower to spool and the 10cm2 a lot slower.

Neil

Ive been running a td-06 20g with a 5 hot side for like 5 years. Before that, I ran the same cartridge with a Garrett compressor wheel and a Mits. housing cut for it. The wheel is a little smaller than the 20g wheel, so to this day, I still don't know what trim it is. But with the HR70 cam and other stuff they both spool pretty quick. I spent the past weekend doing some tuning with the 2nd gen Maf-T. I think I got a little too aggressive with the tune last night and popped my headgasket for the first time ever. I fixed it today, so I'll be taking it back to the dyno in the next couple weeks and I'll try to post some #'s with the 20g. It was moving like a scalded dog though right up til it popped. Hehe.

Any updates from you guys or the op?