this weekend I raised my front strut towers

patra_is_here

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just knock the studs out of the stock mounts and put them on the top, slot your body holes and get it aligned. A spacer ring for the top shouldn't be a big deal to make so its solid contact or a reinforcement ring for the mount too since its just tin.

#1 i doubt it would pass tech at any track or autox

#2 all the load would is now being carry by three nuts rather than the entire plate. meaning, instead of the whole load being carried by the total underside of the shock tower, it's now focused a the three nut heads.

#3 if the nuts don't come off or start pulling through the sheetmetal, the studs could sheer or pull the threads

#4 even with high strength studs and locking nuts, i would still be skeptical as to how they would handle the compression/expansion fatigue. it's on thing to carry a load, it's another thing to have the amount of load constantly changing, as it will fatigue the fasteners. if the car was just a cruiser, it would probably be ok. but, since this thing gets driven really hard, i'm not going to risk it.

#5 even if all those things were handled, i still think this is the better, stronger way to do it.

Edited by patra_is_here

• 1 year later...