feeler techno toy rca

conquestador89

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to mount these with some new MSW 17" wheels.........NO GO. They will have to be cut down by at least a 1/2" to have @ 1/4" clearence. I would suggest that these be offered in a variety of thickness, so they would be a fit out of the box. I imagine a machine shop will want at least $50.00 or more to machine these down. Then I will have to pay to get them re-installed, and the front end aligned again.......which is another $120.00+. This was an expensive lesson !!

By the way, those TSW wheels (not MSW) were 17" X 8". Hopefully this info will be helpful to others, before making any purchases.

Offset of wheels is 20. I was worried about spacing the wheels out further. The car is pretty low, and I did not want to lose steering ability or have a rubbing issue.......so I had them pulled back off of the car. Maybe if I rolled the wheel wells and spaced the wheels out with a .25 spacer, they should clear. But it would probably be cheaper to machine off @ 1/2" to 3/4" of the thickness of these units. To be honest, the steering is fine without them.

i ordered mine a got em delivered in less than 24 hours. i'm running non shp 8's up front so theres no clearance issues.

17x8 with a +20 offset is a horrible offset so you'll prob have to run spacers like you said.

????? The standard offset on a factory is 18. So why would a 20 be a horrible offset ???

I cannot move the wheels inwards, because the tires hit the suspension with these installed. I cannot move the wheels outward, because there is only about 1/16" of space between the tire and inner-fender. So what do you propose I do ?? If I raise the car higher again, then there would be no need for the bump-steer blocks. The 20 degree offset is about perfect from what I can tell, as it is centered between the inner-fender well and the suspension. The blocks need to be thinner.

Cannot space out........only about 1/16" of space left. I really want to keep the fender liners in place. I think I will just leave the spacers out for now, and deal with any bump-steering that may be present. I will have these units reduced in thickness, and re-install at a later date. I only wanted to let fellow owners know of the extreme measures that will have to be taken in many cases, to get these to fit. Upon reading this thread, I thought my 17" rims would easily clear. That is not true. I believe 18" rims could possibly clear without modification. Or if you run a 7" wide rim instead of an 8".......you may be OK ??

????? The standard offset on a factory is 18. So why would a 20 be a horrible offset ???

I assumed you meant positive 20 offset. since stock 8" has a negative offset.

i'm actually surprised you are hitting if you are running negative 20 offset.

Edited by patra_is_here

now, the tie rod end is going to be damn close, and might hit the old school wheel weights. but again, if you are running 17" wheels, you'll have another 1/2 of clearance AND 5mm more offset worth of clearance if your wheels are neg 20 offset.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8249949823_2a80f5d9de.jpg

i have no clue myself...since the beginning i asked for 25mm...i still have the emails...if you look on their site all they're RCAs are 35mm....i think it wont be a problem with me but for the others i think if talk to techno toy tuning they probably can accommodate the others about machining it before shipping

FYI you can use a part from and '83 to fix the ball tie rod end hitting the wheel

The original 25mm mookeeh RCA'S made the tie rod end hit a 7 inch front wheel so im gonna guess a 35mm one will too

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/random%20parts/th_2011-02-17175900.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/flatty%20arm%20install/th_2011-08-06160819.jpg

Edited by JohnnyWadd

All I know is Goodyear installed them, and refused to let the car out the door with them rubbing the rim. They said it would be dangerous to operate the car like that. I inspected them and verified them hitting. It would be nice if Techno Toy Tuning would offer to machine these down for those of us who purchased them. I will try and contact them when I get back home next week.

FYI

Stock front rims are +18, not -18. Rears are about 0. If the fronts were negative, they'd be deeper or as deep as the rears..

Quick clarification question:

If the Mookeeh 18mm RCA's barely fit, and his 25mm ones didn't fit any stock rims, what are the chances of a 35mm RCA fitting? I'm not trying to do anything but bolt them on, has this been addressed?

Thanks

FYI

Stock front rims are +18, not -18. Rears are about 0. If the fronts were negative, they'd be deeper or as deep as the rears..

stock 8" non SHP wheels are negative 10. (sorry, i thought negative 15)

all we are talking about are 8" wheels for comparison, since the person I'm having a discussion with is running 8" with a 20 offset, that we still don't know whether it's a positive 20 or a negative 20. I suspect it's positive 20, since I have non SHP 8" mounted to the front and given they are negative 10 offset, you can see that they should clear (note the pictures I posted)

the FAQ clearly lists non shp 8" as negative offset

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28098

I don't really know how or why SHP wheel offsets slowly got brought in to this, since no one in this thread is running SHP 8"

I hope we are all clear.

Quick clarification question:

If the Mookeeh 18mm RCA's barely fit, and his 25mm ones didn't fit any stock rims, what are the chances of a 35mm RCA fitting? I'm not trying to do anything but bolt them on, has this been addressed?

Thanks

running stock non SHP wheels in the stock location you will not be able to run these RCA's

running SHP wheels in the stock location, you will not be able to run these RCA's

It appears that a proper aftermarket wheel is required, OR, non SHP 8"s with minor mods (possibly clearancing the tie-rod end or using sticky weights.).

the sun is out so I am going to bolt these up and take pictures today.