hidden brake fluid leak

freetoskate124

Every couple of days the brake light on the dash comes on. I look into the reservoir and notice that the level of brake fluid is down. I've been under the car while someone pressed the brake pedal and there are no leaks from bad brake lines and the pedal feels firm and the car stops fine. I also visually inspected the rubber lines to the calipers for wear or cracks (they're all fine). Is there anywhere else that a leak could occur I'm missing?

yup it's all grimy and wet under there. is there any particular way to get the cylinder out? or do is it more straightforward than i'm thinking? thanks for the help

Look at it,gather up the proper tools to do the job and remove it.

CALIBER 308

yup it's all grimy and wet under there. is there any particular way to get the cylinder out? or do is it more straightforward than i'm thinking? thanks for the help

It's pretty easy to replace. However, there's 2 things you have to be careful of:

1) take your time removing the plastic caps off of the old master cylinder if the new one does not have 'em. The old ones crack and break VERY easily.

2) Make sure you bleed the brake system in accordance with the FSM.

Get some 409 or similiar soapy stuff to clean off the old leaked out brake fluid from the brake booster and the car's body/frame. Then paint those areas with primer and the closest matching color that you can find. Keeps the rust down. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot