So i have a miss

drummer030201

ok guys n gals here is the situation

one night while driving around casually i needed to pass someone, so i boosted up and around, BUT i had a stutter and from there it likes to miss ocassionally

SO what i've dont so far since it started.

-changed coil

-changed plug wires

-changed 3 plugs(cylinder 3 plug wouldn't come out, which worries me)stock NGK's gapped 38

-changed dist. cap and rotor.

It occasionally runs on three cylinders upon start up, and once it warms up decently it goes away, but randomly at idle it will hicup. I usually, with casual driving, boost up to 3-5lbs max to save on gas, but i can hit 10lbs no problem. Um, what else.

Mods

-87 conquest w/ 88/89 ECU

-hard piping w/ HKS T3 BOV

-MBC

-Candi's old exhaust system

So as you can see im relatively stock.

If you are wondering why i didn't push to get the #3 plug out, it is because this car is my DD, so risking the useability of my vehicle was not what i wanted to do, but now im worried.

Any ideas guys n gals

Let me know,

~Muzzy

Edited by drummer030201

I think white can be coolant, it may be additives in the fuel though. sounds like plug/cylinder #3 is where I would look for the cause.

Is there any smoke in the exhaust on startup or while running?

Was there any blistering or metallic looking deposits on the plugs?

Edited by Dred_85.5_TSI

Well you have to change the last plug. Sometimes when the engine is fully warmed up and just shut down i can get a tight one to turn a little. Than restart and repeat. Parts blaster helps a lot, but can't really be used on a hot engine, at least no till the manifold cools off some. Some times it takes days working at it off and on.

A tight plug can be a sign off coolant getting in a cylinder. Which will cause your sputter on start up.

Compression test on all 4 to determing any big leaks. I would try to get that plug out though, carefuly. It might have popped out some or skipped a thread or just seized.

I got a good spare head if your is cracked or the plug threads are damaged, let me know

Edited by Killtodie

When it misses, pop off that #3 wire to see if it gets worse or no change, if there is no change #3 cylinder is suspect. which means you will have to pull that plug a take a comp test.

Dad

When it misses, pop off that #3 wire to see if it gets worse or no change, if there is no change #3 cylinder is suspect. which means you will have to pull that plug a take a comp test.

Dad

Yep.

Usually an issue like this is spark plugs or wires.

-Robert