New to starion need help

73igShoT

While the water sat in the motor for who knows how long, it ate up the cylinder walls and they have pits in them usually in a wide ring of pits making for a motor that must be bore larger and have new pistons put in. Its not just as simple as a new head and go and this makes for an oil burner that you can never stop burning oil or having crankcase pressure issues. If you get it for 450 you are buying it for SCRAP price. Remove a couple parts and haul the rest to a junkard and break even. You should assume it needs a rebuild on the engine not just a new head and a radiator. The coolant left in the cylinders from a crack in a head or a blown headgasket can cause pits in the cylinders in just a few days. Worst thing anyone can do is let one sit for years with a blown headgasket and water in the oil and it happens ALL the time. You can buy the heads from many places and there's more than one casting. New castings start somewhere around 250 and go up from there. Rebuilt head maybe a little more but if they are rebuilt, ask if they have NEW valve springs if they don't then you will want new springs in them because those old cleaned up springs appear good but are weak and bent and are trash.

i just pickedup a complete 89 for $350 last week and all it took was plugs,water pump ,freeze plug and clutch master bled and of course brakes

crap i gotta fly you out here for a weekend so you can finish the work on this 87 i just bought. Luckily the engine is real nice but the damn thing still wont boost right. Im going to replace the turbo but if after that it still doesnt boost then I might do a 5.0 swap. Id love more than anything to keep this car original.