Rocker Towers

NTY

Im in need of a set of rocker towers for the cylinder head. I really only need the two towers that have the bolt holes for the valve cover, as they have both cracked (overtightening the valvecover). I dont think it matters, but Im running a Tim C screamin banshee cam with mechanical lifters. Please let me know if you have any and what it would cost to ship to 50036.

Thanks,

Nate

Nate,

It's definitely not advisable to swap in cam towers from another head with out machining.

I have some some towers laying around from old heads I could sell you for $15 shipped, but again, check with a machine shop about what it would take to make sure they match.

Remember the cam towers are the bearing surface your cam rides in.

It's like a connecting rod.

The surfaces need to align perfectly or the cam and head will be ruined.

Ya, RR is right. If you replace any, you should line bore the head. I'd just heli-coil the holes for the VC bolts in the ones you have. The VC bolts are low torque so the heli-coils should be fine.

thread repair is not gonna fix broken cam towers. As for replacing them the proper way is to have a machine shop look at it. But in a pinch this method works too. Replace the towers then install them with the cam and WITHOUT the rockers or timing chain. Make sure you use plenty of assembly lube. Now check the drag on the cam. It should take very little pressure to spin the cam. Put a small wrench on the cam bolt and let go of it. The weight of the wrench should rotate the cam. If no resistance is felt and the cam turns very easily then you should be ok to run it.