Increasing Fuel Economy on the Highway

Killtodie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stay out of boost when you can and you should do just fine. You'll probably average out 25mpg give or take at 70mph.

As a side note.

Why are manufacturers still making cars to be the most efficient at 55mph? I know that's the national highway speed, but... I cannot, for the life of me, recall the last time I drove at 55.

Just stay out of boost when you can and you should do just fine. You'll probably average out 25mpg give or take at 70mph.

As a side note.

Why are manufacturers still making cars to be the most efficient at 55mph? I know that's the national highway speed, but... I cannot, for the life of me, recall the last time I drove at 55.

yeah speed limits in chicago are 55 on the highways and freeways...it's like a raceway compared to the speed limit. the whole traffic pattern cruises 70-80. Cops don't even nail you till your going like 85-90 usually

-Justin

it's just physics. power needed goes up at the square of your speed due to air resistance and there is only so much that tuning can do to overcome offset that. if you had two cars with perfect engineering, the one designed to be most efficient at the lowest speed would always get the most mpg, but in the real world no one wants a car that goes 2mph. Edited by lmwii

^^^

Those 2 things won't net you anything noticeable and are not worth the effort for what, maybe a 10th of an mpg if that.

Just keep your foot out of the throttle, and inflate the tires to 35-40psi. You can disconnect the wastegate arm, but you really only need to show restraint for the go pedal.

The last is a reference to the redneck zroc owner who ranted on a radio station how his 7 layers of wax make his car invisible to radar and more aerodynamic. you can probably find this on youtube.

Alright, sounds like I need a few things done

-Foglight only operation to keep headlights down

-Disconnect wastegate

-Remove wipers (if weather permits)

-Slightly overinflated tires

-Windows up

-Draft behind semi's

-Limit stops

-Wax car for super slippery aerodynamic and so that radar guns cant catch me, Z-ROC style!

Really, the drafting behind semis, and being smart about when and where you give it gas, or cut it off an coast, are gonna give you 95% of the better mileage, so I wouldn't even waste my time doing anything on that list other than drafting semis and maybe keeping the windows closed.

The waxing cars for speed really doesn't work on passenger cars. Indycars are the only one I've heard it has helped, and that was with using a wax that was over $100 for a 10oz bottle.

You have to reduce the frontal area of the car. So get a flatsider before you go.

And I don't know if I'll be at the car show. I hope I can, but I have to find someone to fill in for me. It'll be the "busiest day of the year" according to one of my four bosses. lol. Yeah right.

• 3 weeks later...