Speaker Size

just take it to a professonal and have it installed. After you get your frame rails fixed

Dude seriously he asked for dimensions not input, or comments from the peanut gallery.

You KTD i modded the 6.5's into my door you just have to cut the slot in the trim for the speaker so you can fit it in, and bolt it into the cloth.

5-1/4" in the doors, 6-12" in the rears without mods. 6-1/2's will fit in the front with minor mods.

Scosche MI1540B for head unit, MC01B speaker harness.

Dash speakers can be unplugged, remove gauge cover and cluster and reach into left side to unhook left speaker cable.

Detach glovebox lid by squeezing lugs on each side. glovebox lid will drop down. Reach up and unhook right side speaker cable.

As usual Mr. T all this information is contained within these hallowed pages or a quick search on Google.

Colinhttp://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Dude seriously he asked for dimensions not input, or comments from the peanut gallery.

You KTD i modded the 6.5's into my door you just have to cut the slot in the trim for the speaker so you can fit it in, and bolt it into the cloth.

and yet this still didnt answer his question did it. ill type whatever i want whenever i want so if you gotta problem with it perhaps you should log out

What is the main reasoning for unplugging the dash speakers when installing new speakers and head unit?

because in order to replace them you need to pull the dash. No reason to keep crappy stock speakers running along side good speakers. bad audio

Colin, thanks for the info, exactly what I needed to know. You're teh man

because in order to replace them you need to pull the dash. No reason to keep crappy stock speakers running along side good speakers. bad audio

You're welcome.

I put Infinity 5-1/4" components in the front doors with the tweeters mounted on the little mirror sail panels.

I've had good results before with Rockford Fosgate 6-1/2" speakers and run a pair of R163C's for the rears, put out a lot of great "thump" for their size!

gah! anyone know where I can find those harnesses for cheap? I can get them at bestbuy for $6.58 each but they arnt available in any local store and ordering them in to use employee discount with looks fishy and causes attention. their regular price is $30 retail.

Amazon has em for $10+ shipping and that's the cheapest I've seen. I dont want to spend $40+ for some wires, especially when a set of Alpine/Rockford/Kenwood speakers for for $40 and retail for $145

try onlinecarstereo.com

and FYI you do not need to pull the whole dash to get the small speakers out.....

I on the other hand usually just unplug them and not use them what so ever......just use the front doors and rears

try onlinecarstereo.com

and FYI you do not need to pull the whole dash to get the small speakers out.....

I on the other hand usually just unplug them and not use them what so ever......just use the front doors and rears

What he said.

And quit being cheap. Plugs like that usually go for $15-30. Wire prices are insane but if you want to do it right, you got to get the right stuff. I have over $200 into the power cables and RCA cables for my amps alone.

Don't skimp on the harness, be glad you have one available! 86 and earlier don't so I adapted a later Chrysler one to work. Also gives me plug 'n' play capability to swap head units between my 'quest and my 300M!

What he said.

And quit being cheap. Plugs like that usually go for $15-30. Wire prices are insane but if you want to do it right, you got to get the right stuff. I have over $200 into the power cables and RCA cables for my amps alone.

After working @ Bestbuy for 4 years I cant look at normal retail prices again. BBY discount was 5% above store purchase price. I ones bought $1,200 worth of cables, UBS, optical, HDMI, Ethernet, coaxial, quarter inch and batteries for $77. Just because

You cant cheap out on cables. They are worth nothing, retailer sell them for 1,000% markup

Edited by Killtodie

Well, hey, if you don't want to spend the money then that's on your cheap tail. Why get a kit and a plug then? Why ask us what you need if you don't plan on buying it unless it's Depression era prices? Hardwire everything and get a piece of ABS to cut up and cobble your own dash kit. then when it doesn't work, you can spend a heck of a lot more than $30-40 to pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix what you messed up. Pay a little more now to do it right, or pay a LOT more later. Just don't let Best Buy do it. I've worked on 5 different cars that had systems installed by Best Buy that needed redoing. Two of them started fires, and the rest should have. They sell decent equipment but their installers leave a little to be desired.

While I agree that all that car audio wiring and cables that are out there are way more expensive than they should be, it's a nescessary evil. Also, going with the cheap brands of wire isn't always the best idea, especially with RCA cables. That being said, it's not like the wire companies are making this stuff for free and then charging a ton. The cost for copper is up as well as the gold plating that is used in lots of car audio stuff.

I have 3 of the plugs you need, and if you weren't so damn annoying with your un researched questions only listening to what you want to, and being cheap, I'd probably just send ya one for free.

Edited by Burton

• 3 weeks later...

I installed some Bravox Audio 5.25" in the rear with very little modification. I had to notch out the screw holes. Check this out: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/mitsubishi-starion-1987-car-speakers.html

Edit: I had this exact component set in my hand today at an electronics store. I brought my rear factory speaker to compare the two. The screw holes were the same. So how about that: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUANTUM-AUDIO-6-1-2-6-5-150W-COMPONENT-CAR-SPEAKERS-/310239997891

Edited by Boosted77.

That is kind of a reason but with that logic you should replace them if SQ is what your after.

And they can screw stuff up. If your headunits onboard amp cannot support the Ohms load it can cause issues. It also depends on how they are wired.

Ether way I always scrap the junk speakers even in new cars but my ears are picky.