Code red

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It come out pretty easy, for being pushed back as far as it was?...

We chained the rear of the car to a tree in the yard, then hooked a J hook to the front of the car, and pulled it out with the tractor. I was able to bring everything forward to get the engine out. The transmission crossmember was slammed, and the bolts holding it to the body were sideways, tilted back.

so, is it flatty time then? lol

Justin, glad to see your moving ahead with this so quickly.

I figure I may as well begin removing the important stuff now, I got nothing else to do. Working on finding a replacement, I have a couple lined up, I just need to check them out and make a decision on which to get.

Not sure if it's flatty time just yet...maybe, but maybe later.

Just wanted to make a couple of comments (I'll save my opinions on organization for the other thread)...

1) Coke, glad you're OK. You did the absolute best thing you could do by hitting that specific tree. Sometimes it isn't about what you hit, but what you miss. To borrow from golf, you hit it in the trap to avoid hitting it in the water.

2) Someone asked about/commented on the safety record for StarQuestClub meets. Here's what I can remember off the top of my head as far as incidents go:

(a.) Scottsboro meet, Chris M. got sideways on the SCCA Mountain Run road (Jackson CR 33), but saved it. No damage.

(b.) Pigeon Forge, Steve and Blake got together on the Cherohala thanks to roads slickened by the moisture at 6,000 feet. Wasn't even a high-speed incident. Slight damage to a front bumper.

(c.) Pigeon Forge, Wayne A. went off the road, no damage.

(d.) Scottsboro meet, Miata Jim nearly did a header into an Oldsmobile Aurora but both cars went to the shoulder to miss one another.

(e.) Coke's wreck.

Over the last seven years of organized meets, with more "spirited" driving than any of us want to tell our insurance adjuster about, we're pretty d*mned good at what we do. The same year in Scottsboro that Chris M. got 90 degrees against the stripe, a bunch of "experts" from one of the local BMW clubs managed to total out a priceless Concours d'Elegance car because someone forgot that bias-ply tires don't play nice in the rain.

In addition to this club having some of my closest friends as members, we've also got some serious driving talent (sit down, Fanta ;) ) who were also blessed from birth with a great deal of discretion.

Jess

Edited by JessN16

Wow Coke! I just came to this thread and shed a tear for you man. That's incredibly heartbreaking. And I was supposed to cruise with you!? :P

I hope it's working out well and like the others said Thank God you weren't hurt!

^Hahaha.

Can everybody who reads this, do me a favor and keep an eye out for a clean roller for me? It should be a 5 speed, wide or narrow, and rust free. The days of rust are overwith for this guy.

(a.) Scottsboro meet, Chris M. got sideways on the SCCA Mountain Run road (Jackson CR 33), but saved it. No damage.

The same year in Scottsboro that Chris M. got 90 degrees against the stripe...

That's because we were all pushing our cars pretty hard that day and I tried to drift that curve like the rest but there was too much debris across the road in that curve and it got the best of me. I am just glad nobody was coming in the other lane. It's too bad Jeff Hall didn't get it on film! (for those who didn't know, Jim Barber--the Miata guy who attended a few meets and drove while Jeff filmed passed away a few weeks ago. I am not sure of the details)

The funny thing is that was the first time Becky ever rode with me on a driving meet and swore to never do it again! She told that story a few times after Justin's car came in on the flatbed. She had envisioned my car turning out like his on that SCCA road! Her fingers hurt for a couple of days from holding the seat frame so hard on that course!

I have calmed down a lot since those days.

Edited by helrazr70

I figure I may as well begin removing the important stuff now, I got nothing else to do. Working on finding a replacement, I have a couple lined up, I just need to check them out and make a decision on which to get.

Not sure if it's flatty time just yet...maybe, but maybe later.

dood, it's ALWAYS flatty time B)

i wish i had a garage to put mine in to. keep in good spirits man and you will find another clean quest. you dont like red, right? Edited by joey_crandall

i wish i had a garage to put mine in to. keep in good spirits man and you will find another clean quest. you dont like red, right?

I've had 5 red Starquests in a row, in the past. I am done with red. I loved the Atlantic Blue so much, because it was my first NON red Conquest I've ever owned.

That's because we were all pushing our cars pretty hard that day and I tried to drift that curve like the rest but there was too much debris across the road in that curve and it got the best of me. I am just glad nobody was coming in the other lane. It's too bad Jeff Hall didn't get it on film! (for those who didn't know, Jim Barber--the Miata guy who attended a few meets and drove while Jeff filmed passed away a few weeks ago. I am not sure of the details)

The funny thing is that was the first time Becky ever rode with me on a driving meet and swore to never do it again! She told that story a few times after Justin's car came in on the flatbed. She had envisioned my car turning out like his on that SCCA road! Her fingers hurt for a couple of days from holding the seat frame so hard on that course!

I have calmed down a lot since those days.

Heh, I'll believe "calmed down" when I see it firsthand. ;)

If it wasn't clear in my first post, I was also actually complimenting you on saving it. I saw the whole thing unfold in my mirror and I thought you were going to park it in a squirrel's nest, but your own driving ability saved you (and Becky).

Contrast that to last summer -- someone died on that road during the SCCA event. Either the same curve you were in or the one at the top end of the track. And according to my guy with the Chamber there, they pick folks out of trees all the time on that road. For us to have gone through Scottsboro so many times unscathed ought to come with its own grille badge.

Closest anything has ever come to dyin' in Scottsboro was that da*n beaver. :D

Jess