89 Quest Build Thread

Frenchi934

The inlet walls are pretty thin, so I'm gonna say S16g or 18g on that one.

Nice car btw, love the paint color and interior combo.

EDIT:

A small amount of free-play is okay. I think its in-out play that you can have a little more of. Side-side play is a no no.

Edited by dmyers151

EDIT:

A small amount of free-play is okay. I think its in-out play that you can have a little more of. Side-side play is a no no.

yikes, looks like I'll be rebuilding a turbo then... There is no in an out play, it's all side to side play..

Possibly. Wait for someone more knowledgeable on turbos to chime in here, I'm not 100% positive. Also, if the car sat for a long time and the oil all ran out of the turbo, it would have more shaft play then normal.

If I go to get it rebuilt, will they need to know it's not a 12a or will they be able to tell?

They'll be able to tell. They should also be able to tell you exactly what kind of turbo it is, with housings, etc. They're highly recommended amongst the turbo crowd in Atlanta.

Oh, and Georgia has a pretty sizeable amount of owners. Off the top of my head I can think of about 20 of us within an hour of Atlanta.

They'll be able to tell. They should also be able to tell you exactly what kind of turbo it is, with housings, etc. They're highly recommended amongst the turbo crowd in Atlanta.

Oh, and Georgia has a pretty sizeable amount of owners. Off the top of my head I can think of about 20 of us within an hour of Atlanta.

excellent I'll probably take it by there when I'm ready to get that done. And that's awesome, are they're any local meets or anything?

excellent I'll probably take it by there when I'm ready to get that done. And that's awesome, are they're any local meets or anything?

Twice a year we meet down at JAinsworth's house. Once a year for the 4th of July the southease and then some meets up in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Every once in a blue moon some of us go to some of the larger shows, such as The Varsity ( first thursday of every month in Atlanta ) or Caffeine and Octane ( first Sunday of every month in Roswell ).

Twice a year we meet down at JAinsworth's house. Once a year for the 4th of July the southease and then some meets up in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Every once in a blue moon some of us go to some of the larger shows, such as The Varsity ( first thursday of every month in Atlanta ) or Caffeine and Octane ( first Sunday of every month in Roswell ).

sounds fun haha

also I was gonna go ahead and ask ya'll about the balance shafts and head. It seems to be a general concensus that I should eliminate the balance shafts but how troublesome will the head be? Do I need to buy a non-jet head or will I be fine with the Jet valves as long as I don't abuse the car?

Day 4: (6-29-10)

Today was a pretty abbreviated day as I have a physics test tomorrow (haha)

I decided I'd go ahead and get it completely ready to be removed and then just do that tomorrow afternoon.

I removed the turbo, exhaust manifold and intake, then disconnected all the wires running to the transmission (speedometer etc.)

Also, got the shift lever detached and and the crossmember under the transmission broke loose.

Shouldn't have to do much tomorrow and It'll be sitting on the engine stand.

Question:

For those of you who have done this before..where is the best place to attach the points to pull the engine? (I'm doing the engine and trans as a unit)

A couple pictures of today's progress:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5012/sdc10400y.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3047/sdc10399p.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6276/sdc10401c.jpg

"Dad" on here has the Jet Valve Elimination kit for pretty cheap.

Thanks man, so kit would just be plugs that go into the head in place of the jet valves?

EDIT: found the link and looked for myself haha

Edited by Frenchi934

I've never pulled an engine+transmission combo from a Conquest before...usually when I pull just the engine, I'll put the chain/washer/nut on the end of the rear intake manifold stud...then another on the front of the head where the AC bracket would normally bolt to. Not so sure if that would be strong enough to hold the transmission too...

Well im pretty sure its stock. Previous owner says it is and its the same as other Conquests I've looked at who claimed a stock turbo..

And im not sure what the color of the car is now, it appears to have been repainted (if you look closely at some of the pictures maybe you can tell) Its original color was a fire-engine red color.

French, you may not remember, I had the turbo rebuilt when I did the Jasper engine 7 years ago. I'll send you the paperwork on that. You are making good progress.

There are two hooks that bolt to the head that for some unfathomable reason people remove. I have a handful of them. On the way to Pigeon Forge this weekend, I'll hide a couple near the 6-75/ I-75 split for you :)

Jimmy

haha there was one on the head, it was bolted to the manifold stud closest to the firewall

Well this is interesting, It says 05 12, yet I only count 6 blades... The guy said he had the turbo rebuilt before (I assumed to stock) but maybe ya'll can clear it up for me exactly what it is haha.

Also, if I reach into the inlet and pinch the nut at the center of the blades it has a noticable amount of free-play, is this normal? or does it need rebuilt? (this is my first turbo car but I get the feeling it shouldn't have any free-play)

Here are a few pictures of the turbo:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5994/sdc10393f.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2365/sdc10394n.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7894/sdc10396m.jpg

French, I'll send you the paper work on the turbo. I did have it upgraded. I'll check to see tomorrow.

EDIT:

If I had to hazard a guess that is a 14G turbo. Certainly a G wheel, but I don't have the diameter in front of me to tell you exactly.

The other one should have been located on the opposite side of the head near the front.

Jimmy

alright so if I hook the hoist to an exhaust manifold stud and the put the other hook on the intake manifold at the opposite corner it will be strong enough to pull the engine and trans together?

alright so if I hook the hoist to an exhaust manifold stud and the put the other hook on the intake manifold at the opposite corner it will be strong enough to pull the engine and trans together?

Honestly, it's a lot simpler to pull the transmission from under the car, and then the engine out from the top on these cars in my experience :ph34r: