BANG! .... coast to a stop ...

psu_Crash

If you're going to do something, do it RIGHT or don't do it at all. It'll save you hassle and headache in the long run.

I agree!

No worries it will be completely cleaned out.

That last shot is looking into the splines where the axle slides in. You can see pieces in there.

Edited by psu_Crash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH ok. My eyes were f'in with me and making it look like it was another shaft that you shot a pic of.

But now I'm back to being confused. The first shots the shafts look fine. But there are obviously pieces in the last shot. So where the HEX did the pieces come from?

BTW I thought '88 and '89 only had 6 bolt rears not 4 bolt. 4 bolts are available everywhere. 6 bolt good luck finding.

Indiana ia right, there are no splines on the side gear past the clip. Fish out what you can. And try and flush our the clips by spraying cleaner in the axle hole. Rotate the diff so the openings in the diff case are down and put a rag in there to catch what comes out. It looks like the chips should work out pretty easy. A some point block one wheel and rotate the drive shaft or other wheel so the side gears and spiders move to help clear the chips and confirm none are binding in there.

Its only a 4 bolt rear, do not get to fussy. :)

Indiana ia right, there are no splines on the side gear past the clip. Fish out what you can. And try and flush our the clips by spraying cleaner in the axle hole. Rotate the diff so the openings in the diff case are down and put a rag in there to catch what comes out. It looks like the chips should work out pretty easy. A some point block one wheel and rotate the drive shaft or other wheel so the side gears and spiders move to help clear the chips and confirm none are binding in there.

Its only a 4 bolt rear, do not get to fussy. :)

HA HA!

Should I worry about solvent harming the LSD? Thinking I will flush it with some purple power since I have gallons of it. Then let it all dry out and put it back together. I really looks like the bulk of the pieces were still stuck to the shafts when I pulled them or sitting in the differential splines. I only moved about 50ft from when it let loose so hopefully it didn't get spread all through and crammed into where I won't get without disassembling the LSD.

I took a magnet and quickly ran it around one side of the side gear splines. This is what came out. It really looks like the pieces all stayed in the splines.

Big Al now do you see the problem?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2721/splinepieces.jpg

Any chips should be in ware the spider gears run against the side gears. I like starting fluid, it has the power and volume to flush stuff out fast and leaves little residue. Will not harm seals. No smoking, and keep the drop light clear.

When you refill in do some slow figure 8's to re lube things in there.

When my friend snapped that axel, he pounded the stub out with a sledge and 3/8 extention than put in a new axle. He only ran it a week after that. Scarring was minimal. The side gear got the worst of it from pounding the stub out.

After further thought, since the Axel tips were at the out side of the side gears when they stripped. The chips would be mostly where the lsd plates are and it will be harder to flush then out of there.

Maybe a piece of small hose on the end of a shop vac? would get some more of it.

Edited by StarquestRescue

now we recall why we were told to unbolt the axles while working on rear struts ,,no matter you'd have still done it the same way even if 10 people would have told you to unbolt the axle , ;) right

now we recall why we were told to unbolt the axles while working on rear struts ,,no matter you'd have still done it the same way even if 10 people would have told you to unbolt the axle , ;) right

He probally had the a arms complety of the car to put in the new bushing. It hard to do that with out un bolting axels. You assume way to much Shelby

He probally had the a arms complety of the car to put in the new bushing. It hard to do that with out un bolting axels. You assume way to much Shelby

Heck I had the entire rear subframe out of the car. Everything was unbolted as it came apart (including axles) Somewhere along the way I made a mistake though.

Not sure how/when they pulled out like that. The important part now is to make sure they don't do it again. While doing the rear I never had the axles out of the diff. In my rear end noobness I didn't realize they would just pull out like that or I would have checked them out much closer when re-installing everything. Chalk one up to experience.

WHAT!? no smoking around starter fluid!!?? LOL

Got it

John

So I may take the rear end completely apart. It sure would make me feel better. Exactly what kind of mess is it to take that LSD apart and reassemble? I know you have done it several times.

After reading through the FSM it looks downright scary to me.

Edited by psu_Crash

I think you are worrying about it to much. It looks like the magnet got most of it, certainly the big stuff. Slap it together we have a race to run. :lol:

Read trough my gear thread. If you must take it apart, mark the ring gear to diff housing so it does not end up rotated. Measure and mark the side shims so you do not mix them up. Clean any lock tight off between the diff housing and ring gear before assembly. A little tricky to get the diff haves back together, just takes patients.

I think you are worring about it to much.

You may consider getting a magnetic plug to put in there, if there is even a place for one. It will help catch any small bits of steel that may still be floating in there when you get it back together. Just a thought.

BC_99

I am going to try and find one.

Working on it a little today I got a few more pieces out of the pass side of the diff to add to those in the pic. But, I ran the magnet around in the driver's side splines and got absolutely nothing.

Hosed it out with some starting fluid and didn't find any more either. I wonder where those pieces went. Stuck in the LSD plates maybe? I'm just going to believe they turned into magical dust and disappeared. Hows that sound. It goes back together in the morning unless I get forced over at work.