Injector Question

randyshaw81

I have an '89 TSI and i was unsure if i have 2x primary injectors and 2x secondary injectors, or if i have 1x prinmary 1x seconday.Can someone specify?

I would also like to know there size.

Thank You

One primary, drivers side, one secondary on the passenger side. Flow rating is 580/1080 but I made some measurements here that were slightly different.

Scott

if you have factory injectors the primary will have a black top and the secondary will be green.to check and see if the clips are on the right one remove the clip from the green one and see if the car runs. if not the clips may be on the wrong injectors.

is that not a bit unusual? My friend went to UTI in Chicago for automotive and peformance yada yada and he is like there are four injectors and im like nah i hear diferent from the Conquest finatics. How does this effect the cars performance? And i havent heard of this system prior to owning a Tsi what is the name of this fuel system called specifically?

Its throttlebody injection and he is talking about multiport injection.

You would have to look to be sure what injectors are in there by looking at the letter stamped on them. There are a few different sizes of injectors that are black on top and there are rebuilt injectors that are always black and they change the lettering to their system or put a sticker on.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/misc%20gallery/injmixer.jpg

How does the injector set-up affect performance?

I would suggest that you down load the '88 Field Service Manual @

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_nav.html

Then read Chapter 14 the Fuel System. That way you know what each of the fuel system's individual components are, what they look like and their locations; how they work and their working inter-relationship to each other.

BTW - The Starquest '88 & "89 fuel systems are the exact same.

The Starquest EFI throttle body assembly is not something exotic. It's basicially nothing more than a glorified carburator, with fuel injectors rather than fuel jets.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - It would be an excellent idea to read the rest of the manual too. ;)

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Thanks took a while to get a response but that what i needed. ATM i just dont understand the advantage of each system

That's why you down load the FSM and read it. :) After you understand the stock fuel system, then ask any questions you may have and we'll be glad to answer 'em. :)

There is no quick and dirty answer to your question. And even if there was, would you understand it unless you understood the Starquest OEM fuel system?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Randy, by your initial post it appears to me that you are a new Starquest owner, but you have limited knowledge about your Starquest. It would also be a good idea to also down load

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449 ;)

Edited by Starfighterpilot

The system works the same way as an mpi system, there is still an idle motor, still a throttle position sensor, still an ECU coolant temp. sensor its just there is a large orifice dispensing injector that the motor runs on most of the time and to start up, idle and cruise down the road but when you have a quick TPS movement, higher rpms or boost then the even larger secondary injector begins adding more fuel. Its a MtailAirFlow metered system. There is no MAP sensor on cars after 1986. What this means is since you don't have 4 little injectors one for each cylinder that stray streams into the ports, these injectors spray into the air just before it passes the throttleplate. This means that the spray is VERY finely atomized and fires very quickly and frequently and when these injectors are dirty, they are over 20 years old after all, then you car runs like crap, it fouls plugs and won't make boost. They are low impedance injectors. They are however very durable and most times the only way they become un-useable is when they get rusty inside so that they leak. You can get them cleaned at any place that cleans other injectors but at first you may think since they spray that's all that matters and its not the case, if they aren't clean then their pattern and the amount they dispense is wrong, compared to a mpi setup these spray four times more frequently at least so maybe that helps you understand why they can't be dirty. www.witchhunter.com is one place, also diesel shops clean injectors.