About WTH Is Going On In SQC VM & AVM Forums

My solution is I dont go into the vm forums. Because when someone asks a question and you tell them to check something they don't. As far as people asking unrelated to quest questions in bs thats fair game.

Yeah a lot of this has been hit on the head. I'm 16, good with my hands, works on mechanical stuff and builds things in my free time, I mod everything I own, ect. Me and a few of my friends are like that. But, outside of me and my friends, there are very little amounts of people at my school or that I know of my age that are mechanically inclined enough to work on a car or the like. Most haven't ever done anything mechanical. Everything is about school and sports now. Not working on their cars with their dad's like in the 70's. Tell you the truth, a lot of us don't get support from our parents to do stuff like that either. Again it's all about school and sports. So, it's becoming rarer and rarer to see mechanically inclined kids now a days. Grant it we are still everywhere, but it's not the old days when everyone did the brakes and oil with their dads, or worked on their lawn mowers, ect. Another contributer to this is that everything now is disposible. Broken? Replace it. Thats what the world is coming to. It's either cheaper or easier to buy a new something. Me? I'd rather spend my time fixing the stuff. But that's rare now. It's just fading with us new generations. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty smart when it comes to figuring problems out, what does what, what causes what, ect. But even I, one of the 3 most mechanically inclined kids I am familiar with at my school, need to come here for answers a lot. A lot of this stuff has little things that can be overlooked. That's what I'm always weary of...making a stupid mistake because I was not aware of a certain seal or gasket or torque spec or method. That's stuff that comes by being taught. Most can't figure it out, although a lot of you guys aren't most.

As for what Robert was saying, Yes, Mike C has the most epic answers and explanations I have seen. Tim (ulrich) is close behind, but Mike is just thorough, and that's what us first timers need. Cause what you may think is implied could be something we don't even know about or are aware of, and that thoroughness is what makes the best answers.

And as for searching, maybe I'm just dumb, but the search function here grabs the most random stuff for results due to keywords. I read the FAQ and some VM before asking, but sometimes I miss stuff, and sometimes answers may stem from an unrelated topic name, I've seen a few times where a thread starts on one topic, and ends on a completely different VM discussion/answer, just because one thing leads to another as members get talking and going down the line of problems that the symptoms may be hinting to.

take it for what its worth to you,

Justin

I personally skim the VM and AVM every once in a while and usually only respond to threads with zero posts or one with a few posts and that the last response is from the OP.

Like a few others(D_venable i'm sure), I spend a lot of time talking to people through PM's about suspension and rim sizing/fitment topics.

Yeah a lot of this has been hit on the head. I'm 16, good with my hands, works on mechanical stuff and builds things in my free time, I mod everything I own, ect. Me and a few of my friends are like that. But, outside of me and my friends, there are very little amounts of people at my school or that I know of my age that are mechanically inclined enough to work on a car or the like. Most haven't ever done anything mechanical. Everything is about school and sports now. Not working on their cars with their dad's like in the 70's. Tell you the truth, a lot of us don't get support from our parents to do stuff like that either. Again it's all about school and sports. So, it's becoming rarer and rarer to see mechanically inclined kids now a days. Grant it we are still everywhere, but it's not the old days when everyone did the brakes and oil with their dads, or worked on their lawn mowers, ect. Another contributer to this is that everything now is disposible. Broken? Replace it. Thats what the world is coming to. It's either cheaper or easier to buy a new something. Me? I'd rather spend my time fixing the stuff. But that's rare now. It's just fading with us new generations. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty smart when it comes to figuring problems out, what does what, what causes what, ect. But even I, one of the 3 most mechanically inclined kids I am familiar with at my school, need to come here for answers a lot. A lot of this stuff has little things that can be overlooked. That's what I'm always weary of...making a stupid mistake because I was not aware of a certain seal or gasket or torque spec or method. That's stuff that comes by being taught. Most can't figure it out, although a lot of you guys aren't most.

I couldn't agree more with that whole first paragraph.

I myself have been working on cars with my dad since I could lift a wrench, but, many of the kids I go to school with either think its stupid, or, just don't want to get any grease on their Hollister. So, I, and maybe 2 other people in my school are car people. heck, in my entire school parking lot, there is my Conquest, two 5.0L Mustangs, and a new Camaro. Everything else is just commuter cars.

I know the area I live has a lot to do with it, but, I feel its a dying breed. But, hopefully, some changes will happen as they enter the real world and realize paying to have their car fixed gets a little exspensive...lol

Also, Mike C has a way of explaining things so I can understand them. Many others do to, but, I feel like his answers are always from the manual, with all the footnotes in between that aren't in text, but, are from personal experiences.

Ulrichwolf/Indiana/Shelby, many other of you guys (sorry if I didn't mention you)...but, you're all very helpful, and, I wouldn't have as nice of a car as I do without you guys.

heck...Shelby, I still have no idea what vacuum lines you moved around on my car to make it run 100 times better...lol

Edited by strang3majik

what one man can do another can do

but it may take more determination to do somethings then others .

some one said we have a generation of throw away mind'd people growing up,, thats wrong we have several generations of lazy wanting some else to give them the easy way out generation, you know the instant, instant fun , instant food , instant car repair , instant uploading , instant down loading and instant answers to their many problems

truth is what given freely is worthless, a car given to you means little realy,,

now on the other hand if you work'd , sweat'd blood for months and years to obtain it , it's pricelss to you and it dosen't matter if that thing is a car, an education or skill.

if you come here or to any of the car sites with all your wanting is an easy

quick answer to your problem then your here for the wrong reason unless your already a skill'd wrench , what you need to be learning is the proper ways and procedures on how to find the answers on your own ,I would lay odds that few have even took the time to read the chaptors in the FSM on how to realy use this manual , with out knowing how to use the manual how do you expect to learn any thing from it

It's funny how this same topic comes up about once a year and if you did a search, I'm sure you could have found one of them! :P j/k

The problem with just using the search engine or the FAQs is that you don't have a 2 way street of information and it is much more difficult to learn that way.

This is why we have teachers in school instead of just books.

Say I have a problem with my car and look it up in the FAQs. It tells me to do "A" to fix it. 1st off, I'm going to want to know why. I can memorize the fact that if I have this problem then I need to do "A" but until I know why "A" fixes it, I didn't learn it.

How many times do these cars only have 1 issue? There are usually multiple issues that combine to create unique symptoms. Almost impossible to anything that matches exactly.

If you do find the solution but don't understand a piece of it, who do you ask?

As long as I'm having to do "A", is there anything else I should do?

My point is that while the FSM and FAQ are great for a reference, there is no substitute for conversation and experience.

if no one ever made another post on this site you could still fix any and every problem your ever likely to have with the car , as for WHY ,thats been told over a thous times also

the actual act of learning comes from doing not being told what to do but the doing ,,thats where the learning comes in to play

if no one ever made another post on this site you could still fix any and every problem your ever likely to have with the car , as for WHY ,thats been told over a thous times also

the actual act of learning comes from doing not being told what to do but the doing ,,thats where the learning comes in to play

Then why do we have teachers? What makes the difference between good teachers and bad teachers?

You guys are the teachers on this site and are a valuable asset to all of us. You can't be replaced with FSM.

You guys are the teachers on this site and are a valuable asset to all of us. You can't be replaced with FSM.

................................................................................................................

a teachers job is to give you the tools need'd to become compident on your own,,not to go with you thru out life helping with each and every problem

I fully understand what your saying but that does not excuse the person from makeing an effort to learn the basics of how to trouble shoot and how to read and understand what he's reading in the FSM or what ever manual he has acesss to

understand this these teachers you speak of only had the FSM to learn from and it serve'd them well enought ;)

FSM can be substitute'd by any book , manual or what ever it's all the same

I myself think the search function on this site is horrible compared to others...the probetalk site for example.

But the knowledge here is actually usefull, verses on other sites ive been on 99% is "how do I make my fwd into a rwd" or "can I fit unbelievably large engine in my car for 200 bucks?"

But then again..look at my post count.

I myself think the search function on this site is horrible compared to others...the probetalk site for example.

The search function works great IF you know how to use it, I should make a FAQ on how to use the search function...

http://www.homee.com/pic/someonewrong.png

You know, I think I know you......the style of writing, the style of wit, the '04 white Subaru, Richmond area.....

Should I just welcome you back as C89ZX7R, or urabus40?

Tim

Edited by UlrichWolf

I will be brutally honest here, my girl snoopylover and i used to live on this site. We loved it, were on for hours every day. But like most, have gotten tired of it. not the people mind u "it". I love owning quests, love em. Bought my first over 5 yrs ago, now i own 6. Have nothing bad to say bout them. except,,,

When something go's wrong with one of them. I ask a question about it, and get beat the heck up. Now i don't need a link to the FSM, i own two of them and Ive read them front to back, left to right up down side to side. I am far from a "noob". Most of the time i know what to do and where to find it in the book. However, when i need help about something, i get more hate then help. And that drives me away.

Now with that said i will say this. This site was designed to be a discussion forum. not a reference site. so when u beat up the people you are supposed to be helping, you are only hurting your own cause. Our goal is to be preserving these cars. Right. If u project hate on the newer people then they will trash the car and leave. Is that what you really want. Think about it..

If you want a perfect world then make one. Clean up the VM and AVM forums. And i mean clean..

For instance,

turbo rebuild... 200 results,

tps reset... 200 results,

rough idle... 200 results,

for a "noob" to find something on this site is nearly impossible. its impossible for me to find anything. and Ive been searching for 4 years.

So, if you want to help then help. if you don't want to help, SHUT UP

For what its worth

FRO

Edited by FRO

You know, I think I know you......the style of writing, the style of wit, the '04 white Subaru, Richmond area.....

Should I just welcome you back as C89ZX7R, or urabus40?

Tim

I was kinda wondering about that myself.