air fuel

adookie02

Yes, it will read exactly the same just that its a much more "narrow" window that it looks at. If you had a scale of 1-10 and you were looking for 5.99 your gauge would only read lean as say 4.5(and nothing from 4.5 down to 1) and rich as 7.5 (but nothing past 7.5) but the WB would see all the way out to 1 and 10 but in the end 5.99 is still what you are looking at you just don't have as much information to use so its more difficult to tell exactly how lean or how rich you are.

Adding an air:fuel gauge/display to the factory O2 narrow band sensor basically gives you a way to know if your car is fairly healthy or not. It's not enough to "tune" with when upping boost, changing fuel injector sizes, etc. But it's a fairly inexpensive add-on to see if your basic stock system is working correctly. As long as you see the "hunting" during steady part-throttle driving you can assume the injectors are reasonably healthy - they're not leaking badly, the fuel pressure is ballpark correct, etc. And if the display flops rich during on-boost driving that confirms the fuel pump hasn't degraded significantly, the injectors haven't plugged up, nor have the various fuel filters/screens.

Think of an add-on narrow band air:fuel gauge as a health monitor for an otherwise stock StarQuest... just like the dash oil pressure gauge. On the oil pressure gauge the tick marks don't line up to any specific pressure - i.e. you can't say half-scale means "50 psi oil pressure" or anything like that. But you can get used to what your gauge normally reads for cold idle, cold 3000 RPM cruise, hot idle, and hot cruise... and when the gauge suddenly starts reading differently you know "something has changed." Maybe the gauge or sensor is dying (common) or in fact the oil pressures are different for some reason... a warning that something is going bad. A narrow band air:fuel gauge gives you similar information.

mike c.

ok so in reality a narrow band is a waste of money since i am looking to up my boost to 14lbs and maybe swapping out my injectors.. ok so now is there any inexpensive widebands out? all i seem to find is the aem ugo.. is that the only 1 available... also wats a good turbo timer..