help?

asap

so... ive never really messed with the g54b that much, but it would be nice to have a helping hand. i bought the motor from madhatch and ive almost got the stock motor out but im having some complications mostly with getting the motor off the trans.... the 11 'o clock bolt for the starter is a complain.. its really giving me hell and im getting aggrivated with the car... i have everything i will need to put it in. would anyone be intrested in supervising? i will pay for your gas and buy you a beer if thats what it will take, just someone please help me. also i need a 88-89 conquest driver tail light...the guy whom i bought the car from said he was gonna give me one because it was cracked when i got the car, but since telling him the motor blew up, he will no longer answer/return my call, dont really know the reason, but i really need my car up and running and asap. please let me know someone. contact chris at 706-793-6151/706-691-7827. im located in augusta GA. Edited by asap

So why is that bolt giving you a headache its the same as all the other bolts. getting this motor in and out is not that hard just be patient and use your head.Getting frustrated will do you no good.That bolt should come out easy you might move some of the stuff out of the way to make it easier. Are you switching heads if so remove the head and intake as one piece this will give you all the room and less weight .

Do you have an impact gun?

Also, I really hope you labeled the wiring harness and your old engine with what goes where, so when you put your new engine in, you can use the old engine for reference points on where what went where.

Also, not sure if you've gotten this far, BUT - remove the transmission. It's more tedious work, yes, but it makes removing and installing the engine a lot simpler. If I didn't have work I'd take a day to come help ya out and get it all swapped :)

Edited by Fanta

Also, I really hope you labeled the wiring harness and your old engine with what goes where, so when you put your new engine in, you can use the old engine for reference points on where what went where.

Also, not sure if you've gotten this far, BUT - remove the transmission. It's more tedious work, yes, but it makes removing and installing the engine a lot simpler. If I didn't have work I'd take a day to come help ya out and get it all swapped :)

well honestly when would you get a day off? also most of those vaccuums and such are so old they pretty much are bent in the direction they are suppose to go in lol, and i remember pretty much where all the sensors go. photogenic memory.

So why is that bolt giving you a headache its the same as all the other bolts. getting this motor in and out is not that hard just be patient and use your head.Getting frustrated will do you no good.That bolt should come out easy you might move some of the stuff out of the way to make it easier. Are you switching heads if so remove the head and intake as one piece this will give you all the room and less weight .

really the thing about the bolt that is giving me such a headache is that i cant get to it really... from the top there isnt enough room for a rachet, or wrench.. my hands are too big as well.. from the botom side, using a swivel socket, and long extensions i just can seem to make it budge i really dont have that much room to work with.. and i have no reason to take the head off, yes it would make it alot easier, but also more work..

no i have a corded impact gun, but like i said my jack really doesnt get the car up as high as i would like it... a lift would be ideal but... snt that how life goes. im not sure about the trans thats the way i was gonna do it, but i dont know if i would need to take things loose from inside the car for the shifter like a tripod of some sort, or if its just as simple as turning the shift knob off and the whole thing drops edown with the trans and i dont have the take the center console apart<---- which i doubt... like i said im a noob when it comes to these cars thats why i wanted someone to supervise me and help me so i can get it done and learn.. jainsworth just had surgery so i know he cannot do anything, and i dont know how many people are here in ga anyways...

You need to remove the console and drop the tranny. Make sure you disconnect the battery first.

Start on page 21-9: http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_21_-_transmission_manual_automatic.pdf

The starter bolt can be removed from the top or the bottom. You should be able to get a box-end wrench on it from the top, use a second wrench hooked to the first one for leverage. If you attack it from the bottom, a 2 foot extension and a swivel socket works.

Jimmy

i dont know how many people are here in ga anyways...

lots actually

Shifter is easy. Pop the shifter, remove the boot and then the rubber heat boot - you'll see 4 I think 12mm bolts holding the shifter in. Remove it.

Under the car, you have 4 bolts/4 nuts for the driveshaft to torque tube. Once those are removed remove driveshaft ( put nuts/bolts back on loosely on TT )

Then your 6 bolts for the tranny to engine, and 4 bolts for the tranny support cross member, along with the speedo cable, slave cylinder, and it just drops down. Really a simple tranny to remove. Trust me, I've done it about 8 times now <_< :D

Weekends are when I have off...

As for the starter, hmm - does your car still have the air dam?

Edited by Fanta

You need to remove the console and drop the tranny. Make sure you disconnect the battery first.

Start on page 21-9: http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_21_-_transmission_manual_automatic.pdf

The starter bolt can be removed from the top or the bottom. You should be able to get a box-end wrench on it from the top, use a second wrench hooked to the first one for leverage. If you attack it from the bottom, a 2 foot extension and a swivel socket works.

Jimmy

Note that Jimmy said a "SWIVEL socket." The universal joints and sockets with a square metal piece in the middle tend to lock up because of the angle that it's at. I had this happened to me when removing my Starquest's starter.

BTW I would buy a hytdraulic jack that can lift your Starquest high enough to remove the starter easily; not to mention removing the the trans easily if you choose to do that.

Grant (pure_insanity) and I each have stuff that we have to do this coming week-end and after that we committed to helping Jimmy replace his tranny in his MMax. After that we can come over to Augusta to give you a hand.

Drop me a PM and we'll work something out.

For What It's Worth

KEN

BTW - Welome to the Wonderful World Of Starquests. :)

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Note that Jimmy said a "SWIVEL socket." The universal joints and sockets with a square metal piece in the middle tend to lock up because of the angle that it's at. I had this happened to me when removing my Starquest's starter.

BTW I would buy a hytdraulic jack that can lift your Starquest high enough to remove the starter easily; not to mention removing the the trans easily if you choose to do that.

Grant (pure_insanity) and I each have stuff that we have to do this coming week-end and after that we committed to helping Jimmy replace his tranny in his MMax. After that we can come over to Augusta to give you a hand.

Drop me a PM and we'll work something out.

For What It's Worth

KEN

BTW - Welome to the Wonderful World Of Starquests. :)

lol thanks man, yeah i see im in for fun times as long as im with this car..... i need to also get my hands on some jet valve eliminators/ balance shaft eliminator, i dont need anything else to put a strain on my oil pump,and best believe im going to drive like a grandma just because i dont wanna mess with this car for a while anymore.

You can pull the head off with both manifolds attached and you can reinstall them the same way. You can easily get to that starter bolt with the head off and it just may be easier for you to put the short block back in that way too. Don't pull the transmission out. When you put the block back in, you do NOT have motor mounts on it. Never to put a short block back in that is what makes it too hard for some to make it go back together trying to leave motor mounts on. Put your jack under the transmission pan you have in the trunk for changing a tire and when you get the block parallel with the bellhousing they just slip together. If you don't have to move the car just leave the jack under the tranny pan holding it up otherwise a coat hanger wire through a bellhousing bolt and wrap it around some bolt on the firewall a trans. isn't that heavy in the front. After you get all the bellhousing bolts and starter back on then you just lift the block higher and put the motor mounts in and I mean the rubber part you leave the brackets on the block then sit it down on the crossmember and slip it around until those bolt holes line up, start all the four bolts before you tighten one. Why is that so hard and you have to remove a transmission?

lol thanks man, yeah i see im in for fun times as long as im with this car..... i need to also get my hands on some jet valve eliminators/ balance shaft eliminator, i dont need anything else to put a strain on my oil pump,and best believe im going to drive like a grandma just because i dont wanna mess with this car for a while anymore.

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/conquest.html

^^^ best place for engine parts

if you are still having trouble PM and i'll cmoe out with ken/grant too. We'll get it taken care of

in all seriolusness i probley could do it all myself but i just dont trust myself without any supervision becayse like i stated i dont need anything else to mess up.... and i know i probley will mess something else up... i also have a problem with my fans not kicking on.... and i believe thats one reason why the car over heated on me on the way home with it... i would just prefer someone to be here with me i would like someone to look the car over for me who knows what they are doing and im not the one who knows what they are doing thats for sure rofl

in all seriolusness i probley could do it all myself but i just dont trust myself without any supervision becayse like i stated i dont need anything else to mess up.... and i know i probley will mess something else up... i also have a problem with my fans not kicking on.... and i believe thats one reason why the car over heated on me on the way home with it... i would just prefer someone to be here with me i would like someone to look the car over for me who knows what they are doing and im not the one who knows what they are doing thats for sure rofl

Don't blame you, I was the same way when I did my first engine swap. And my 2nd. And my 3rd. :lol:

i dont believe i have your number. but im probley just gonna wait until all of you are going to come down it just seems better and this month is halfway gone already... also i posted some pics up in the old school rides section of IA

# resent :D