Best sounding exhaust for conquest

redTSI99

Justin im disappointed that you didn't remember your own thread from a while ago

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74409&st=0&p=722976&hl=best%20exhaust&fromsearch=1entry722976

got a lot of clips in that one

=)

woo

Muzz

Oh I remember! I figured a loud muscle car resonator like that would sound terrible with the tractor like RPM band of the SQ, and I remember tanabe making some beautiful sounding exhausts for supras, silvias, WRX's, RX's, ect. Really smooth sound. I want to explore and see if it will smooth out the sound of the G54 and give a nice sound to it. If it doesnt sound very good Ill go to the true tested magnaflow/flowmaster :)

Oh I remember! I figured a loud muscle car resonator like that would sound terrible with the tractor like RPM band of the SQ, and I remember tanabe making some beautiful sounding exhausts for supras, silvias, WRX's, RX's, ect. Really smooth sound. I want to explore and see if it will smooth out the sound of the G54 and give a nice sound to it. If it doesnt sound very good Ill go to the true tested magnaflow/flowmaster :)

btw dude if u wanted to meet up or anything im about 20 minutes from downers grove...all i gotta do is hop on 355 and im there in minutes haha

shoot me a pm nd ill give ya my number

Muzz

I have a few G54B cars with upgraded exhaust.

1. 3" stainless mandrel electropolished full downpipe that goes under the car, into a full 8" stainless flex section, into a mandrel 3" stainless exhaust with a DynoMAX Ultraflo. Sounds very deep, but a lot of the sound is due to the size (3"), and the fact it is stainless. If you want a superior sounding exhaust, you really need a large stainless pipe to start with. Also, I ran the straight section only, with the end just before the rear crossmember, and it was many times louder than running it with just the downpipe. That straight section resonated so deeply, car alarms a 1/2 a block away were sounding off, no kidding. With the tail section and muffler, it quieted down enormously, and kept the deep tone with much less resonation too. With the large roller cam, it still sounds off some car alarms when I drive by in a parking lot. Aint no 4G63 gonna sound like this!

2. 2.5: downpipe all the way under car, into a 3" flex (horizontal flex, not that afterthought flex on the DP), into a 3" pipe bender bends, into the race Magnaflow muffler. This one sounds very quiet at idle, but retains the depth due to the size. The tone stays deep as it increases in volume with accelleration.

I have got many compliments on both of those cars for the smooth deep sound.

3. 2.5" DP all the way under the car to a 2.5" flex, to a 2.5" galvanized steel with mandrel bends, all except the one jog after the flex. No muffler, but just a resonator tip. This pipe is not as deep, and very loud at idle, and mega loud on the street. Sounds like a couple of tractors drag racing when I am just pulling away as quiet as possible from a light. Cost me $40, so I can't complain.

The 2.6 is going to give a better sound than most all other 4 cylinders due to the big bore, long stroke. I really think a DP that goes under the car, or at least points straight under at the end of it, is key for flow, and no flex in the DP. The flex needs to be on the bottom anyway.

As for the mufflers, most all of them mentioned have a good unique sound that will help give your car its own sound, so I wouldn't get so hung up on which one as long as it is a straight through type and in your budget.

Funny thing is most people trust HKS as a good aftermarket performance company. Everyone on here claims a straight through muffler is best. BUT, the HKS cat back has a chambered muffler. It's a 6 inch round can with baffles in it. Hmmmm

I honestly think our cars sound a lot like an SRT4 with a free-flowing exhaust. You've got to think, they're both large-displacement 4-cylinders, both turbocharged, both with low rev-limits.

Personally, I love the sound of a good 'piped SRT4.

Funny thing is most people trust HKS as a good aftermarket performance company. Everyone on here claims a straight through muffler is best. BUT, the HKS cat back has a chambered muffler. It's a 6 inch round can with baffles in it. Hmmmm

but look at anything they make now...

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/products/456_b.jpg

Do not get anything with baffles in it. I had a Hooker muffler on my car before and not only did it sound like a tractor, but after I swtiched to my Greddy Ti-c Straight through I noticed a significant differnce with the spool up time. The turbo spooled much faster and it gave the car a wayyy better sound. It turned from tractor like to having a nice deep growl. None of that ricer fart can nonesense

That's just a muffler. I'm talking about the HKS cat back kit for a SQ. My HKS cat back is only a few years old and it has a chambered muffler.

/facepalm

what i'm saying... is HKS has been making the same exhaust for the starions for years. they just keep pooping out the moedl cuz they know it'll fit/sound good/whatever. why reinvent their exhaust when no one else makes one? (cno giant corporation that is)

Look at any new exhaust they come out with. it has a straight through muffler

Nissan GTR http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/hks-r35-gtr-legamax-premium-exhaust-p-4032.html

straight through muffler

MKIV Supra http://www.raceinspired.com/p-530-hks-drager-catback-exhaust-toyota-supra-30-turbo-1993-1998.aspx?affiliateid=10065

straight thru muffler