MAFT setup pics?

BC_99

anyone have any pics of their 3 inch gm mas/maft setup? Im getting all my stuff together to do the conversion but wanna make sure I have everything I need. More specifically air intake setups and where you have the mas and couplers and such. Or if you have any links to this that would be cool also. Thanks,

BC_99

this is where mines at:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/daniels_zx6/gmmafsetup.jpg

works great for me..

Daniel

It can go before or after, works both ways. Just make sure you put the maf pointed the right way. There should me some arrows on a sticker that lets you know. It would be best of you relocate the bov to before the maf. That way when you let off on the gas, you wont have that extra air being measured, and it will only be metering what goes to and in the t/b.

Daniel

It might.. it might not. All i know is that the GM Maf's are directional. And they are to be placed in the direction of the air flow in correspondence to the arrows on the Maf.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the simple setup I use and it seems to work pretty good. I haven't tried the blow through setup to compare the difference just because I drive the car quite a bit and don't have the time to tear it apart again right now.

Hey Daniel, did you ever get the Lebeaux up and running? I sent you the info on where to get the RPM signal from, did you get it?

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/brianarnone2009/3InchGMMAFConversion.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/brianarnone2009/IntakePipe.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/brianarnone2009/KNConeAirFilter.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/brianarnone2009/MAFT.jpg

yea Brians set up is the best way to do it if you dont want to get into the nitty gritty like me lol. with that way, you can be done in 10 minutes and getting a base tune down. mine takes a little longer, cuz you have to cut stuff to fit..then put everything back together lol

Brian, im going to get back to that soon. When there's a good break in the weather im going to be all over it. along with pulling off the turbo and exhaust manifold to get some work done to it.

Daniel

I am a fabricator, so cutting stuff and moving it, is not problem for me. I am just curious if it is more advantagious to have it between the I/C and T/B, if so, why? Brian has helped me a bunch with the mechanical side of my car, and I really trust his judgement.

BC_99

I am a fabricator, so cutting stuff and moving it, is not problem for me. I am just curious if it is more advantagious to have it between the I/C and T/B, if so, why? Brian has helped me a bunch with the mechanical side of my car, and I really trust his judgement.

BC_99

well its pretty strait forward when you think about it. if you can make it a full blow through set up. meaning the bov is before the maf. So that all the Maf sees is air being blown through it to the T/B. then it will get rid if the slight rich condition while shifting that most of our cars have now with the way the maf(or stock mass) is set up before the turbo(at the turbo inlet), or before the bov. Making the maf readings more accurate and the tune possibly a little better.

Mine is not a true blow through set up yet. you cant see it in my pic, but the bov is still after the maf (on the OVCP). so i still get that slight rich condition. I figured if im going to get some custom hp stuff done when i get my new motor dropped in, then why bother messing with it more. The way mine is set up now, is basically the same as having the maf at the turbo inlet. Thats what i meant about me saying Brians is simpler. I did it this way because A, thats where i want it when i do the custom i/c stuff (i also like it being hidden), and B, i can run an open turbo inlet if i wanted to for a dyno run or something.

im not saying Brian's set up is wrong or nocking him in anyway. When in fact Brian's set up and mods are very similar to mine. And because of that we discus allot of things amongst the two of us. I also consider him to be very informative as well, and he has definitely helped me out allot. So i understand where your coming from.

but for simplicity on the maf-t set up. The way that Brian showed you is the best way to go to get up and running in no time.

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

Oh, I see Daniel. Thats the explanation I was looking for. Didnt mean to sound like I was accusing you of knocking Brian or anyone. He will tell you that I am very new to this car and turbo cars in general. I am more used to the conventional carbed V-8 type stuff that anyone can work on. This is really my first adventure into building and upgrading any vehicle with an ecu, so I am still learning how it all works and what does what, ect.. Thanks for the insights and pics. I will probably just go with what I was planning on running since I already have all my couplers and clamps for that style, but will definately consider your ideas on any future builds, or if I upgrade the I/C then I may consider trying it that way as well to have a good comparison from one way to the other. Cheers,

BC_99

• 3 weeks later...

you cant direct wire the 3 inch mas to the mitsu wiring. you need to run a gm maft (mas air flow translator) to make the gm signal be readable by the stock ecu. You can see it in the 4th pic Brianpaul posted. I got my setup here http://www.ongreenperformance.com/

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

• 3 months later...

question, since you are using the 3in MAS from a GM, can you possibly get an aftermarket cold air for that MAS that went to the original engine since the cold air sensor was made for a direct fit on the wiring harness for that specific engine? to me, it seems logical since you already have the translator for the stock MAS.

Also, can you tell me were you got the intake piping (before and after turbo) for your set up brianpaul98?

Edited by Cole

The translator is for the gm mas, and most guys run a cold air intake pipe for an 89 prelude from the turbo to the gm mas and a conical filter over the other end of the mas. That is what you are looking at in Brians pics, I believe. He doesnt get on here too often, but I would guess those are *DM hardpipes (the black ones) in his pics. MK1 sells them, but theirs are usually chromed. I hope that helps answer your questions some.

BC_99

for dsms these here are pretty crappy for a tune they usually just used for the blow off valve to recirc. so you dont bogg out and die

these really work that well for our cars?

i have one laying around that i wouldnnt use but if i can :D

that would be great!

for dsms these here are pretty crappy for a tune they usually just used for the blow off valve to recirc. so you dont bogg out and die

these really work that well for our cars?

i have one laying around that i wouldnnt use but if i can http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

that would be great!

Its far better than our oem mas thats for sure..

Its far better than our oem mas thats for sure..

very intersting :D

yeha we put them infront of the throttle body and the intercooler for the talons

would it be the same place?

i thought i seen a pic of it before the turbo and the maf

very intersting :D

yeha we put them infront of the throttle body and the intercooler for the talons

would it be the same place?

i thought i seen a pic of it before the turbo and the maf

Vented bov's are not much of an issue on our cars. So they work ok in draw threw.

Altitude changes? I suspect that could be an issue. Best to search around a dsm board on that.