Wacko gauges can you take some pictures for me?

Tyler

I just got an all-new motor installed in this project and now I am fighting some wiring/gauge issues.

As soon as you turn the key on (not even start the car yet), the temp and oil pressure gauge max out. It has a brand new oil sending switch. Ideas on the oil gauge?

The temp gauge also peaks out and the fans never come on. Can someone PLEASE take a few picutres of the sensors and plugs for the coolant stuff on the intake. I am wondering if something is plugged in wrong. My car also as a blocked off port on the intake with a pipe plug so I have one thing not plugged in at all. All the wires seem to be yellow with a green stripe. I will take some pictures to show as well, but would be grateful if I could get a few shots from you all of the intake setup.

Thanks,

Mike

(Sucks coming in new and trying to solve the previous owner's screw ups)

Thank you ahead of time.

Edited by Tyler

Coke,

Thank you very much for the link. I fixed the fans and the temp gauge but my oil pressure gauge still reads through the roof. As soon as I get this thing straightened out I'm going to post a bunch of pictures (esp after the snow leaves!).

I took it for a short madien voyage test drive and it would not rev up past 2500 and there was no boost at all...then it died. Boo. :mellow: I got it to eventually restart (after towing it home). Going to have to do some forum searching for some answers now. Thanks again.

-BTW, mine is Atlantic Blue too.

-Tyler

There's a good possibility that the pigtails for your injectors have bit the dust. It is very common for those to go bad. What's probably happening in your car is, the secondary injector pigtail isn't making good contact and when you approach boost and/or 3000rpms when its time for it to kick in its not, causing the car to fall flat on its face. I'd replaced those to begin with. Even if it turns out that it wasn't the problem, its piece of mind that you know they've been replaced and won't have to monkey with them ever again. The pigtails are a standard GM "Bosch Style" injector pigtail, can be had at most parts stores. You can also order them thru "Dad" on the site. You'll find a link to his online store in my signature.

Also check to make sure all intake plumbing pipes/hoses/clamps are TIGHT and not torn. A large boost leak can cause a condition very much like you've described. Metered air gets sucked thru the Mass-Air Flow sensor, but escapes before it gets to the TB. Your injectors don't know the air escaped, so it keeps dumping in the fuel, for air thats not really there. Causing a rich condition, and flooding out the car, causing it to die and make it hard to restart.

As far as oil psi goes, its possible the wrong oil psi sender is installed, or it simply has gone bad. If you unplug it from the sender, does the needle go down to zero, or remain pegged? That could indicate the sender wire is grounding out someplace, if it stays up after you unplug it.

Edited by Coke

most likely the sending units for the oil pressure and coolant temp sensor are the wrong ones.

for the coolant temp sensor, there are two single wire sensors on the manifold, try swapping those back and forth. see if that fixes the problem. you may have just got them crossed by accident.

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

most likely the sending units for the oil pressure and coolant temp sensor are the wrong ones.

for the coolant temp sensor, there are two single wire sensors on the manifold, try swapping those back and forth. see if that fixes the problem. you may have just got them crossed by accident.

Daniel

He had explained in his response the temperature gauge has been sorted out.

I just got an all-new motor installed in this project and now I am fighting some wiring/gauge issues.

As soon as you turn the key on (not even start the car yet), the temp and oil pressure gauge max out. It has a brand new oil sending switch. Ideas on the oil gauge?

The temp gauge also peaks out and the fans never come on. Can someone PLEASE take a few picutres of the sensors and plugs for the coolant stuff on the intake. I am wondering if something is plugged in wrong. My car also as a blocked off port on the intake with a pipe plug so I have one thing not plugged in at all. All the wires seem to be yellow with a green stripe. I will take some pictures to show as well, but would be grateful if I could get a few shots from you all of the intake setup.

Thanks,

Mike

(Sucks coming in new and trying to solve the previous owner's screw ups)

Thank you ahead of time.

For the oil sending unit (TSI)..

Do not use the aftermarket stuff from Standard they are not calibrated properly and inaccurate. I went through 2 different ones and finally got one out of Japan, screwed it in and all is well..

The fans are good, the temp is good. Still sorting out the oil pressure. I went on a junkyard run and got two injector clips from a Grand Am and now the car revs like it should and I have boost (yay!). The last little thing (besides the oil gauge) is what I diagnose to be the clutch slave cylinder. I had to shove the clutch to the floor to shift and it was ungodly difficult to get it in-and-out of gears. After 30 miles (with some city type-driving) my last shift down the gears to my house didn't happen. I killed the car and then shifted to first to get across the intersection to the house. While it was off, I put it in first then keyed the car on (the starter had to pull the car and the clutch didn't ever disengage the trans) and drove in first gear up to the house. Do you agree that that sounds very slave cylinder 'ish?

Thanks guys. You rock.

-Tyler

I went to "Oh-Really's" and they looked at me like I was insane asking for some "crazy" clip that keeps the fuel injector and harness connected. So I gave up and made a junk yard run; which is my version of holiday shopping.

I plan on putting the new slave cylinder on today and bleeding the living crap out of it.

-Tyler

For the moment, all things seem to be in working order (but I shouldn't say that too loud). I still need to check out the oil pressure gauge but now I have boost, all my gears and clutch, temp, and whatever else was going crazy. I see that I need to look at my power steering pump because it is leaking all of the fluid overnight.

Oh well, one thing at a time, right?

Thanks,

Tyler