Vin number database

stealth

Does anyone have access to the vin number database that the dealership uses to search for parts. Is there a vin number database?

Anyone ever try getting a list of registered vin numbers from a database like carfax or whatever the dealers are using.

I know theres a database for the 3000GT/stealth which someone downloaded and posted. Im pretty sure the guy got it from the parts search program which he hacked into for the vin numbers. Now its used to decode vins and tell people how many other cars have the same options in that year. ie I have a 94 stealth RT/TT which is 1 of 924 1994's, 1 of 110 black and 1 of 8 without sunroof. Also someone did a carfax vin number search of all 924 1994's and found that there is only 430 survivors (rest are wrecks). So now i have 1 or 430 1994's. Pretty cool eh!

Any idea's?

The VIN deocing on these cars aren't as easy to figure out. Stealths and such are better setup for that in their VIN because of DSM, and SQs were strictly Mitsubishi.

I'm still thinking there is a way, it just takes a lot of research. I've been working on it on and off for over a year, and I'm still in the "beginning" stages. This could take a while LOL

Options are not listed in the starquest vin. Most of it is in the plate under the hood with the paint code. Ultimate Lurker probably has the most comprehensive list of that id plate.

Jimmy

Yeah, UL had about the best info, but it's not anything that was shared publicly much.

I'm trying to put the same sort of info together too, but eventually be able to post it for everyone to see. Jimmy's right tho, the VIN won't tell the paint code and options, that's all in the trim tag. My theory so far is that by getting VIN and trim tag info from as many people as I can, I will be able to determine when different colors and options were done during the production run. That in turn could lead to knowing how many of what different options were made.

Sounds like you have a plan Burton.

At the very least do you have or is there a list of vin numbers yet.

I see theres a registry but i found these things never work without vin number tracking due to how much cars change hands and how unoften they are updated.

Some of the registries work if they have VIN and color/option info. I've been collecting info from those, and I have also been having people send me info when I can get it.

In fact, if anyone on here wants to PM me the info from their cars, I'd sure appreciate it. I need...

1. VIN

2. Color/trim tag info- located on the firewall on all cars except for 87, which has their's on the underside of the hoods for some reason

3. Build date- on the tag in the driver's side door jamb. This plate also has the VIN on it.

4. I know all the color codes now, but I'm not sure what all the trim options mean yet. If you could give a breif description of the color of your car, color of interior, cloth or leather, and then make sure to let me know if the car has any options like SHP or sunroof.

Here is my theory, and so far with the info I've gathered, it's holding true...

Cars were done in "runs", meaning that they'd make a bunch of red cars for a few days then switch to another color. Of course, it's the same for options. It's not like auto companies have all the parts for all the cars when they start production- they install what they get from suppliers (or in house) as they get them. The paint would be the easiest thing for them to switch up during production, if need be. That would mean there might be a nice run of cloth interior all together. In fact, so far from my info, the interior might end up being the most telling. For instance, I'm noticing a span of time around when my Starion was built that had a lot of checherboard cloth interior, but have yet to find any leather cars around the same time.

I started a thread about this on 26liter...

paint/trim tags

If y'all want to post your info here, or PM it to me, I'd love the help. The more VINs/build info I have, the more complete I can get it. The more complete it gets, the better chance I'll have being able to make a rough determination of how many cars were made in what colors and what options. Without all the info on all the cars, I'll never be able to make a perfect determinationm, but it would be nice to try and narrow things down. It will also take a while just to get the basic list together, I want some more info to prove my theory more before I post it up. As I get more info after it's up I'll update it as I get more info.

Edited by Burton

yes, I need as much info as I can.

If you have a parts car, or have some SQ's in junkyards close to you, grab that info too if you can and note it's a car that's out of service.

Those codes will help fill in the blanks, and like Stealth said, they will also help us figure out how many survivors are left.

Here's the tags I need info from...

Paint/trim:

87's....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/11-29-09_001.jpg

All other model years..

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/11-29-09_002.jpg

Here's the build date tag- in the same location on all model years..

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/11-30-09.jpg

Now, I need more than just the paint code of the paint/trim tag. If you look at the first pic from the tag on the silver hood, you will see lots of numbers. I'll break down what I do and don't need...

First line- 187AMNFGL4- Not sure if I need this yet or not. I haven't been taking this info, but am starting to wonder if it holds info towards options and such. If you want to give it to me just to be safe, great.

Second line- G54B- engine code, which I don't need.

Third line- KM132 3545- This has trans. info, but I'm also beginning to wonder if it holds clues to options also, so you may want to give me that too.

Fourth line- H43(paint) 66R C85 (interior trim color and package)- I need this info the most- especially if you have a factory 2 tone car, or car with rare interior.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

From my 1987 White Widebody:

Build Date: JUL 1986

Also, the trim tag was not on my hood, but was on my firewall:

Model: A187AMNFGLH

Engine: G54B

Trans: KM132 3545

Color: W18

Option: 66R A16

My car came with the leather maroon interior, tape deck with equalizer, and LSD

Sending Burton my VIN number via PM.

Interesting ... seems not all '87s had the hood tag, as evidenced by DryBear's car, and mine, which is a May '87 Starion, that has the trim tag on the firewall. I haven't looked on the hood to see if there's one there or not [i'm assuming my hood is the OEM piece].