New ST Springs

89PalermoSHP

I just put a new set in the rear and assembling the front tomorrow. Mine are ST and my mechanic friends were very impressed with the design. Progressive rate, bigger dia than stock, and a bit stiffer. Plus they are lower, but I haven't put the car down yet to find out how far. I think the kid I bought them from said 1" drop?

Is that what your springs are? $200 is a great deal!

The rear is slightly lower. Not perfectly even. I have no AC (no compressor, no big bracket, no core in front of radiator, etc..), and no ABS modulator. Plus my engine weighs quite a bit less with the fidanza, JE forged pistons, lightened rods, #3 block area has all excess block material ground out. No charcoal canister.

It all adds up to a substantially lighter front end with less load on the springs. It looks very good though. All of my friends say it looks a lot tougher. I think it will settle down to come a bit lower in the front as I drive it more. I have about 10 miles on it now!

Guess I got my answer Jesse ;)

Thanks for the feedback Tim.

I hope it was the answer you were looking for.

Yea Tim, I think the way it looks the very second you lower it off the hoist is different than what it will look like in 500-1000 miles once everything settles. Do you have an alignment coming in the future? Im curious to see what results you get. Ive posted them here already, but Ill throw the results of my alignment after getting everything installed.

I cant say enough how much Im satisfied with this setup especially with the bigger swaybars too. You basically cannot push my car down by using body weight pushing down on the fender or strut mount.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/89PalermoSHP/alingment.jpg

I hope it was the answer you were looking for.

Yep, just wanted someone to confirm the ride/look of STs.

I cant say enough how much Im satisfied with this setup especially with the bigger swaybars too. You basically cannot push my car down by using body weight pushing down on the fender or strut mount.

My car is 180 degrees of yours, I can lay a firm hand on the front fender, car will drop about 2 inches and have a second small bounce...probably great for autocross and track, going through an S turn it would probably start "the wave".

I will get the 4 wheel alignment before driving it again. It's quite stiff. I can't get it to move much if any by pushing on the rear bumper. It is a progressive rate spring, so I know it isn't as stiff as some. It fits my driving style fine.

I figure I lost a good 50Lbs from the front end, so I wasn't expecting to be exactly level. A tire expert says we can get it out with tires if it doesn't settle down any more.

Stupid question, but I was running ST springs with KYB's on my old car....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/38785603_4c8b22f33a_o.jpg

but didnt care for how the car sat so i changed them out for coilovers. The springs have been in the attic for several years

and how I am thinking of putting the fronts in on my new car. Questions is, is the short or tall springs the front? I cant remember.

Thanks

Edited by gofastredstar

That looks sick... looks almost identical to mine

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/BOOSTED88TSI/black%20and%20silver%20quests/015.jpg

As far as the front or rear spring... I cant remember the lenghts but the fronts are beefier than the rears.

Tim, do you know off the top of your head the height difference between 225/50 and 225/45. Im wondering if that lowered my car in the front by .250 or something.