GM Alternator..which ones will bolt in??

Can someone tell me which alternators we can grab off another model car that will just bolt in??  I think I read somewhere that a GM Alternator from a 97 or so Camaro will work.  They are rated at 140 amps I believe.   My brother works at a shop where all they do is rebuild/replace alternators.   I was gonna have him rebuild my stock unit since I am getting poor output from it, but I learned it only churns out about 65 amps.  That is weak.  So if anyone knows of any other alternators which will bolt on and work that would be awesome.   I would get the unit that Tim C sells but I cant afford 200 bucks right now.  I got rid of my a/c and alternator bracket and got the 4 dollar bracket from Mitsubishi if that makes a difference.  If I find that they have a particular alternator with higher amps that we can use I know I can get a great group purchase price.  Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

I may be mistaken but I think Tim uses a CS-130 AC Delco...or similar.  My brother is getting me a new one with 110 amps ...all I need to do is make a braket and it should bolt right in.  I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
???  Hey guys I tried to find here in Puerto Rico the AC delcoalt. but in the auto parts said to me tha those alts have a 9 digit serial number, I would like to Know if any of you have  the serial# , because i have a really big problem I have my amps and my lights on and my altermnators` charge is in about 12.5v and that`s too poor,  any other advice I`ll  apreciate! :D

• 2 months later...

Go an get a stiffening capacitor(1 fared) and an Interstate "Megatron"battery and that will solve a lot of problems.If you still have trouble than your electrical system has a problem elsewhere.Bad grounds,corroded wiring ect.

Back when I my 75 camaro I had 2 punch 150's and a power 300 and just had the stock chevy alternator.Around 60-65 amps like our cars I think.That interstate megatron has 120 minutes of reserve power and a lot of juice to boot.Never had a problem with anything electrical and that was in an old car.Those 3 amps drew 100 amps.

Later I added a second battery as I then ran the power 300 and a power 650.Also had a dual battery isolator so the alternator would only charge the battery that needed it.Worked well in that car.

The newest of our cars being 14 years old;almost 15 I think maybe the stock alternator will need to be replaced or rebuilt.Don't expect a 15 + year old electrical system to run your car plus 1000 watts of stereo equipment.

If you can get a high amp alternator to bolt up and hook up to our car then all the better.I have seen a Pheonix gold alternator in a starion once.They make a universal bolt on of some kind.Brackets has to be made to work ofcourse.There is no cheap route.  

• 3 months later...
[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow] Guys i found a good alt for the starquest!!!  I used the factory alt of an 1995 eclipse awd turbo the only thing you have to do is to jump two cables from the original harness to the corresponding "L" and "S" cables of the alternator it fits quite simply, and put some shims in the lower bolt between thw alt and the engine block, my car is runing whith two amps, radio, x-over, headlamps, and its pulling an amzing 13.3volts at idle. Just to let you know  ;)

Just to clarify, there's no "drop in" alt that will fit properly...Alternators have to be SPOT ON...If it's not perfect, the alt will die prematurely... Tim C. is the only way to get a "drop in" 110 or 140 amp alt.... Everything else requires custom pully's or brackets etc....

I would highly recommend the Tim C. alt.  I've been running for over a year and 20k+ mi without a problem.  The delco alt he sells was origionally for a boat app if I am thinking correctly, but the money is spent on the bracketry and the r&d time he and his shop put in.  The internals are far superior to the mitsu stock esp the bearings..........HUGE.  I showed this to my local alt rebuilder and he said this unit was cap of putting out 150+ amps with the proper modifications. Yeah, $200 is a lot of cash, BUT you get what you pay for and I have not regretted it in the  least.

I really don't know of any GM alternators that bolts in the factory bracket. My 110amp 3000gt alternator bolts right in and plugs right in the factory harness all you need is a custom pulley, my alternator has been very good to me its been over 15k miles and has been on 2 conquests and still operating excellent, actually right now i'm in the process of selling a few kits but either GM or Mitsubishi, a 110amp alternator is an excellent upgrade very noticeable.

Kurt

• 2 years later...
i had an alt. from my old 97 5.7 camaro that i bought and never used and i fit it to my starion block with the help of a custom bracket, some washers,and a new pulley, and this thing is lighting up my dash like a christmas tree!!! :shock: my volts never drop below the second mark from the top. even at idle with everything turned on!! its rated at 200 amps from the factory so this is the one to get. it pisses me off because i just eliminated my electric fans for a clutch fan because of the draw on my stock alt. :x , and now im sure they wouldnt be a problem with this 200 amp alt. oh well, you live and you learn.