What's Cooler Than Being Cool?

CarlosFley

Hey guys. Sooo I want to have ice cold AC in my 87. What's needed? It was sitting for years with what I'm almost positive is still R12 so do I buy a new condenser or juat? What will be needed? Please guide me through this as I am still a newbie. Senkiu all.

^Lol. Here is what you need to do

Retrofit the system. You will need to take it to a shop as I am assuming you do not have a AC service machine. I use a super old A/C 800 which can service R12 and R134.

I would evacuate the freon with the R12 side of the machine first, then install the retro fittings. They are small adapters that screw onto the service ports. I would also try to check the oil level in the compressor and add oil if it needed it. Also consider replacing the dryer.

Then I would hook up the R134 side and run a vacuum on it for at least 30 minutes. After that I'd fill the freon and check pressures/proper operation.

There is a difference in volume between r12 and r134. I forget which is greater as I haven't retro fitted a car in years

Find the leak first. All my SQs had a leaky return hose from the compressor to the hardline on the firewall. Make sure the system has pressure then douse every connection with soapy water. The bubbles will show you where the leaks are. Repair them then pull a vacuum on the system. Then add an 8oz ester oil charge and fill with 134a. It's that simple.