42 replies to this topic

#41 mthomlinson

mthomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

I know this is a old thread, but in you pic of the rear SHP strut housings in post #7 it looks like they are about 16.5 inch tall.

Do you remember how deep the inside was?  16in?  What is the longest strut insert I can fit in the rear housing?

Thanks for your help  :)
88 Conquest TSI-SHP, Auto, 75,000, Daly Driver
Mods, 2.5 DP, Marnel, ARP Head Studs, Ajusa HG, 16G, New Injector Clips, Rebuilt TB

70 Chevy K5 Blazer, 350

#42 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:24 PM

Decade bump! Actually, it's been almost 12 years since the original post, sheesh. This is still probably the best coilover DIY thread on the forum, though. Wondering if you're still running this setup and if you've made any more improvements to it over the years.

Also wondering how much droop travel is left with the shortened housings and what the ratio of droop to bump travel ends up being. Having a decent amount of droop travel is important on uneven roads and rough surfaces (a.k.a. the real world outside of race tracks). A wheel hanging in the air doesn't have any grip.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#43 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 March 2021 - 01:43 PM

I actually havent done anything to them in 10 years!  They still ride fine, as far as I can tell.  Droop at the current ride height is around 3", so say you took the weight off the suspension, they would drop about that much.  Never measure how much up travel I have, but Im pretty sure Ive never bottomed out.  If I wouldve done it over, I would probably get KONI inserts and smaller diameter/easily available sleeves/springs like ground control.  I probably shouldve stuck with 7" long springs too, as a new wheel setup may interfere with the collar/perch up front.  I still feel shortened housings are the way to go since you have a bit more flexibility on inserts/valving.  I dont have to pull the whole setup off and shipped out for servicing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users