stock cam vs. caravan cam

movin on

I understand that these cams are not the same type, but I have a couple questions comparing the two.

Such as:

Would a caravan cam not die off as fast in the higher rpms compared to a quest cam?

What differrences would there be in lower rpms between the two cams?

I understand the roller rockers and slip rockers are different too and I was wondering if they are different in size, EX.. such as 1.4 to 1.5

A Caravan in 1984 had mechanical rocker arms and jet valves. In 1985-87 they put in hydraulic lifters but it was still always a jet valve head. When they were blowing headgaskets from the plugged up carburetors and lead foot drivers for hauling in a truck that was only an automatic THREE speed they rev's high and burnt out valves especially the jet valves that weren't ever adjusted or cleaned nor was the balance shaft chain then came the replacement heads that were usually non jet and mechanical since that saved the owners $$$ then years later people started looking in junkyards for "caravan" heads assuming that they were non jet and mechanical and was born the "caravan" head swap which is just BS cause its all a big mistake and you won't know what one is until you pull the valve cover and find out but its likely going to be cracked and why its in the junkyard anyway but you can get the valve cover since on all those FWD versions they had "Mitsubishi" cast in raised letters so they could advertise the fact it wasn't a 2.2 dodge whimp motor that had to rev to 5000rpms to get anything to move.

of course it was bare aluminum and had a big sticker on it that said "MCA JET" designating that it had jet valves that helped burn the fuel better and give better economy and emissions.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM006645.JPG

When they changed to the hydraulic lifters they ground the cam to have the exact same specs as the mechanical cam did. The same duration, lift, overlap and open/close valve degrees. All the 2.6 cams for all the years were the same spec.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/lash02.jpg

Edited by Indiana

The rollers that kinda fit on the conquest from the caravan are from the 3.0 engine.... as for working and being good Ask someone else I Am not sure.

I have a stock 2.6 Caravan valve cover with stickers and everything!

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_984/gallery_1655_984_150657.jpg

They have a slight difference in lift because of lash that changed in 85. You can look at any service manual for any year all the way up to the roller cams that ended in 1996 and yes they all have the same specs.

So, can you safely use a mechanical camshaft in a hydraulic setup? I'm asking because the only NEW camshafts that I can get are listed as mechanical.

Hydraulic and mechanical are listed with different part numbers BTW.

Dad

The numbers are the same,, what about hardness ?

The rocker arms, springs and valves didn't change. Why would they change how it was hardened. The cam isn't pushing on the valve, what is stuck to the end of the rocker is.