heat

86boosted

Must be that Columbus weather, not much different over here either. The heater valve may be stuck. The vacuum hoses missing or the actuator not moving the doors inside the box. Check down on the floor near the console and look for a hose off. What model you have?

may have an air bubble..did you flush the system and add new coolant? look at tbi vavuum lines check drivers side port below the 3 ports follow that line..Thats for the flappers and what not for the climate control...

the control valve for the heater is stuck closed. It happens on mine. Turn the heat all the way up and get down by the gas pedal. Back by the firewall there is a electric motor with black linkage one rod goes under the heater box take some pliers grab that rod and push it towards the passenger side... if your lucky it will move and open the valve.. which is located on top of the heater...

would that door explain why my heat works sometimes and not others??? some days it will blast me out, and most others, it just blows cold air... :(

I was looking at the engine block under the TB and noticed that just the hose from the manifold out to the ... I think heater core... is crimped. It looks like there is supposed to be a special hose for the angle thats there. It looks like someone replaced it with a generic hose that cant support the bends without crimping..

Any ideas?

Edited by Polcat87

would that door explain why my heat works sometimes and not others??? some days it will blast me out, and most others, it just blows cold air... :(

I was looking at the engine block under the TB and noticed that just the hose from the manifold out to the ... I think heater core... is crimped. It looks like there is supposed to be a special hose for the angle thats there. It looks like someone replaced it with a generic hose that cant support the bends without crimping..

Any ideas?

If that hose is crimped shut, yes it would prevent engine coolant at the intake manifold from going to the heater core. That explains your problem.

There is a preformed hose that still available to replace the crimped one you have.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

It does look like there's supposed to be a pre formed hose there. Do I get it at the autoparts store?? What's that hose properly named??

There's 3 hoses back there. 2 labeled heater hoses, and 1 maybe called a bypass. Your best bet is to go into the parts store and see if they have a pics of them, or the actual parts. Seems I had to order at least one of them last time I did them. Replace ALL of them. They deteriorate and sometimes you can't see it. I lost a head a few years back because one of them popped a pinhole in it and lost all my antifreeze on the highway. It's cheap insurance at about $25.

I can see that! They don't look to fun to replace either..:( I still think that door has something to doo with my blending issues. None of the directionals work. It's blasts out of the floor... When it works.. And little bit through the defrost.. When I replaced the radio, I didn't see anything loose in the vac lines, but I don't know what exactally to look for there.

You do know these are vacuum controlled? Look on the intake below the throttle body on the fender side. There's a row of three vacuum lines coming off, and below that is one single one. There should be a hose on that single one that runs behind the motor and into the firewall down by where the AC lines go through. It's common for that lone vacuum line to pop off and leave you with no controls. Other than that, if the climate panel is functioning correctly, there's a little rubber bellows under the dash that is also vacuum operated. That rubber sometimes lets go and then things won't move like they should,.

The two hoses going from the firewall to the engine, along with that "Z" shaped hose behind the engine (just above the tranny bellhousing) are available from Mitsu dealers as a kit if I remember correctly. Or it's the two hoses and the smaller hose from the intake manifold to the injection mixer (throttle body) in the kit. The hose from the firewall to the intake manifold is specially shaped, it looks like a "?" laying sideways. It often splits on the inside of the curve, spewing coolant right at the intake manifold. It's one of those sudden pinhole leaks... in a spot you can't see/inspect during normal engine inspections when you're looking for bulges or other signs of impending hose failures.

Replacing those hoses is a pain. But it's gotta be done every few years, just like replacing radiator hoses. Does your injection mixer have brown stains on it - or gas? If so, it needs to be rebuilt (a gasket kit)... and when it's removed from the intake manifold it is a LOT LOT LOT easier to get to the heater hoses. If the injection mixer gaskets haven't been replaced in a few years, I'd go ahead and do that job while doing the heater hoses.

The hoses connect to very soft brass pipes poking through the firewall... do NOT grab those hoses with any sort of pliers to remove them; you'll just crush the brass pipes. Don't try twisting the hoses off either; the brass may twist. Instead, use a sharp knife or razor blade to slice the hose and "peel" it off the pipes like peeling a banana.

Two other hoses that should be changed too:

1: the stubby hose from the thermostat housing to the turbocharger water pipes. This is easy to change.

2: the stubby hose from the backside of the water pump pipe to a metal pipe that runs underneath the exhaust manifold. This sucker is a bear to change... unless you remove the water pump. Of course you'll need a new water pump gasket if you remove the pump. This hose is another one that develops pinhole leaks with virtually no warning.

mike c.

the control valve for the heater is stuck closed. It happens on mine. Turn the heat all the way up and get down by the gas pedal. Back by the firewall there is a electric motor with black linkage one rod goes under the heater box take some pliers grab that rod and push it towards the passenger side... if your lucky it will move and open the valve.. which is located on top of the heater...

you got a picture of wich one to push?

On a serious note..I looked at that vacuum line under the there’s lines on the TB, and the line went near the steering box and I am pleased to say it just..stopped. It looked like it had a piece of broken hose inside it. Where does it go into the firewall? Anybody have a pic??

On a serious note..I looked at that vacuum line under the three lines on the TB, and the line went near the steering box and I am pleased to say it just..stopped. It looked like it had a piece of broken hose inside it. Where does it go into the firewall? Anybody have a pic??

Cheap fix!! lol :lol:

Edited by Polcat87

The line from the bottom port on the TB should run all the way around to the pass side of the vehicle and plug into the vac canister and CC and the vacuum pump sensor. From there it goes through the firewall to the vent system.

Looking on the drivers side center console...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/S4020889.jpg

This is the lever... mine is disconnected due to the actuator is bad. down is open on the water valve (heat)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/S4020888.jpg

At the TB the yellow zip tie is the line that controls HVAC dampers... it runs along the firewall to the pass side

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/S4020884.jpg

to this mess which is the vacuum pump sensor and the vacuum canister

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/S4020886.jpg