How To Install MR2 Inserts in your Starion

• 9 months later...

KYB was not willing to help me out after contacting them multiple times in regards to purchasing the gland nuts for the conversion ("we don't sell to the public" was repeated every call). I received an old part # from their tech support to boot. They did grudgingly recommend going to Pep Boys or Carquest to order the parts. Pep Boys was unable to locate the part in their system (may have been due to the old part #), and gave me some random gland nut (qty: 1 lol) they had laying around as a consolation prize. I contacted Carquest and 15 minutes later they came back with the new part # that had superseded the KYB # I was told originally. On order, should be here by the end of the week...so...go Carquest, I'll make sure I check in with you guys for hard to find stuff first next time lol.

Cliff notes:

KYB gland nut part number: 575-T248 (or just google kyb t248 for results)

Cost: ~$6 to $10 per

I hope this helps. Screw you KYB, I will have my Konis.

Edited by Prozaq

Thanks for the info Prozaq. Maybe their email support is a different department than call center??

-Robert

No problem guys, I'm glad to help out. I'm guessing there are a few good ppl working in KYB that will sell through a "cash" or "will call" account for special order stuff like that, but it sounds like a lot of ppl there are in the hardline "can't sell to the public" mindset, and aren't willing to help out.

Getting ready to do an install with Koni sport inserts and Mookeeh rear housings. I'll try to compile the notes as neatly as possible as I come across issues...

- The Koni shock bodies are identical in height (from bottom protrusion to gland nut mounting surface) as the Excel's in Komeuppance's walkthrough [14 1/4"]

- Mookeeh rear housings use the MR2 gland nut thread pitch (that'll save someone $16 lol)

Also, I'm not quite sure what MR2 insert they designed this around (besides the one they include in their shock/housing kit), but the housing is 1/2" too short. I verified the welds at the base of the insert are coming into contact with the housing before the protrusion hits the very bottom of the housing (but it's close). I have a couple options at this point, I'll figure it out tomorrow lol.

some of us have used rear MR2 inserts (like I have) and others have used MR2 fronts (I think SFBMX88 used fronts)

This is a pretty good point...I wish I still had my suspension install pix from my 93 MR2 so I could tell the height difference, but I did see someone mention the fronts are a touch shorter. I did want to go with a swapped set up (MR2 rear in front of SQ, vice versa) to adjust for the switch in weight bias between the two cars, but I wasn't sure if any of the aftermarket valving was different between the front and the rear shocks. I haven't really seen anyone else using Konis, and this will be my first set...so I figured I'd post what I find as I go along. What inserts have you used and which did you like?

Patra_was_here might be using Konis.

I'm using Tokico Illuminas, all rears. As far as weight balance, I did "the math" vs an MR2...

MR2's (SW20 turbo) weight from 2750, to 3050, with a weight distribution of:

Front axle: 1260 lbs (43%)

Rear axle: 1660 lbs (57%)

I just weighed my MR2 on the way back from buying it. I went to a truck stop that has a CAT scale, which has a precision of 20 pounds and they guarantee the accuracy (see the guarantee at the top of the weight slip photo).

Results (1995 MR2 turbo M/T, STOCK w/ t-bar, leather, and 1/3 tank of gas, no driver):

Total weight: 2920 lbs

http://www.mr2.com/f...html#post188247

I don't remember exactly, but the SQ weight distribution is better at 53:47 I think. That's about 1600 front, and 1400 rear. So we are very close to what an MR2 is pushing.

-Robert

That's good to see those numbers posted up; I'm surprised to see the '95 MR2 coming in sub-3k lbs...the '93-'95 models were the chunkiest by a fair bit. Still lots of fun though.

Well, adding onto my previous post, there really wasn't too much to modify. Here's the list off the top of my head (YMMV, "measure twice, cut once"):

-Stock front housings needed ~2 5/8" spacing to fit MR2 Koni rear inserts.

-Rear Mookeeh housings need 1/2" extension to enclose MR2 Koni rear inserts (if the front MR2 shocks are 1/2" shorter like it sounds, that's the way to go)

-Extension should be made above the spring perch and below the gland nut threading if you want to retain the same height

-If you're using a stock spring style (non-coilover), the upper spring seat needs to be reamed out to allow the shock rod to slide through...it's D-shaped so just rounding it out does the trick.

-Using a stock replacement mount on the rears (non-pillowball) may require drilling out the shock rod opening for clearance.

I'm really almost appalled at how easy the rear struts come out lol. Falling in love with the Konis, too. :wub:

• 3 months later...

I'm gunna run mr2 rears all the way around. Is this a good or bad idea?

that's perfectly fine, I did this on my flatty, and will have it on my fatty soon too

but with the mookeeh (MK1) rear housings, sounds like MR2 fronts are the better way to go

Edited by D_Venable

• 1 month later...

I used MR2/Celica alltrac FRONTS at all 4 corners on mine. The Alltrac is roughly the same weight as the Starion, so fronts should work well. Maybe try fronts and rears on your setup?

• Like 1

LOL...

Patra_was_here might be using Konis.

I'm using Tokico Illuminas, all rears. As far as weight balance, I did "the math" vs an MR2...

MR2's (SW20 turbo) weight from 2750, to 3050, with a weight distribution of:

I don't remember exactly, but the SQ weight distribution is better at 53:47 I think. That's about 1600 front, and 1400 rear. So we are very close to what an MR2 is pushing.

-Robert

1988 ST165 Celica Alltrac:

Curb Weight: 3270 lb (with options)

Weight Distrobution F/R: 59/41

***The MR2 KYB AGX inserts front and rear are the same length.

Edited by SFBMX88

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
ok, I R confused, I have stock fronts and MK1 rears, so they all should have gland nuts, and I have to order two front gland nuts and 2 rears? do the replacements called out in the walkthru and this thread screw right into the housings? or do I need MR2 upper sections that will accept the gland nuts?